• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to Succeed in Business.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amuller

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: How to Succeed in Business..... Reply with quote

I just got a call to see if I could play "How to Succeed in Business.." during a particularly busy period. Does anyone have a PDF of the trumpet part? I want to look it over before I commit to it...

Thanks for reading!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think I have a PDF to offer but I'd advise you to just take the gig. That show's a hoot. I'm no monster player and I wasn't intimidated by that show. Have fun.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"How to..." was my very first musical, 45 years ago this summer.

Like Professor Heiden said - take. the. gig.

Lots of terrific characters in the show. Hope you get a good cast, especially Hedy!

There are 2 versions - the original with 3 trumpets, and an Alternate with only 2. Here are my notes for each version.

Original:
3 parts - 1 & 2 together, 3rd separate
Bb - trumpet only
Cup, “tight cup,” straight, Harmon with (“tight Harmon”) and without stem.
“Tight” Harmon mute - Harmon w/ stem in
Range: D, C#s, Ebs (in 2nd part). One F at the end of #10 “Been a Long Day - in CUP MUTE!
Entre-acte: 2nd trumpet, ms 27 - written Eb’s (key signature) should actually be E naturals.
#27 “I Believe in You” ms 26, should be D# not D nat.

ALTERNATE ORCHESTRATION
2 parts / one book.
Bb only.
Cup, “tight” cup, straight, Harmon with (marked “Tight Harmon”) and without stem
D, C#s, Ebs (in 2nd part). One F at the end of #10 “Been a Long Day - in CUP MUTE!
Entre-acte: 2nd trumpet, ms 27 - written Eb’s (key signature) should actually be E naturals.
#27 “I Believe in You” ms 26, should be D# not D nat.

Overture is almost all fast “Turn & play” page turns. All are marked “v.s.”

Several other fast turn & play thru the book.

Hand copied. The copywork is OK...sometimes kinda small. My suspicion, at least as far as the trumpet books, is the “Alternate Orchestration” version is simply the original minus 3rd trumpet.

NOTE: Many tunes to NOT have a thin/bold double bar line to indicate end of tune. Some do, some don’t. VERY confusing.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Like Professor Heiden said - take. the. gig.

I've been promoted!
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
JJMDestino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, I thought there was a tune in the first act that had a written G# in it towards the end. Maybe I'm confusing my shows. This was also my first show I ever played.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJMDestino wrote:
Tim, I thought there was a tune in the first act that had a written G# in it towards the end. Maybe I'm confusing my shows. This was also my first show I ever played.

The two versions I've played topped out on an Eb. I don't know if the 2011 Broadway revival version is out for rent, and with that one having Nick Marchione on 1st Trumpet - that one could very well have a G#.

Musicals up until late 60s/early 70s seldom went above an F. Nowadays...oy vey!

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
JJMDestino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played it twice, the first time in '01 and the other more recently. Maybe I'm recalling the more recent one. No kidding about the newer musicals. The last show I played was In the Heights. Sure was a lot of fun. It felt like a festival of high A's.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played "How to Succeed" around 15 years ago and distinctly remember a high A at the very end of the show -- maybe in the bows music, maybe in the exit. I remember it because I had no chance of playing it.

Other than that, a high F as previously mentioned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: