• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Buddy Rich Lead Players In The 80's?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOUG CLARK!!! Long time, eh? Remember the Hacienda Hotel fiasco of Xmas Eve '94 with the Elvis impersonator?

To add to the BR 80s trumpet list, Kevin Richardson (most recently many years with Tom Jones) was on the very last band BR had.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
trumpmac
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubba Ho-Tep wrote:
hose wrote:
Bubba Ho-Tep wrote:
He had me play into a bucket of water to see how my air support was. And he also helped me learn how to relax more when I play.

Can anyone explain playing into the "bucket of water" experiment? I have heard of it, but I can't remember the particulars.

So you have a bucket or a sink filled with water, and you play in it to see the bubbles come out of the bell. If there is a nice steady stream of bubbles coming out, then that means you have good air support. So when you do it, you want to start out on a low note or just a note thats easy to play, so that you can examine the bubbles when you have good air support. Then you can experiment with higher, more difficult notes to play. And if the bubbles start to get weaker, that means you need to use more air while playing in that register, or you need to relax your throut muscles more to get more air flow. But you should deffinatly try it out. Its a great way to check your air support.

I was with Greg Wing in January with a couple of old buds from MSU. He was asked about playing into a sink full of water in the dorm when he was a student there (he's now the trumpet prof). He not only confirmed that but said he still does it. Musta been a Bill Adams thang.
'58 Conn Director Coprion
Dillon Rose Brass Bell Flugel
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No s in his name. Check out the Adam area of this forum.
trumpmac
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or I could add an apostrophy and make it possessive. Sorry for the gaffe.
'58 Conn Director Coprion
Dillon Rose Brass Bell Flugel
jtauletta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jtauletta"]I played lead for him in 83 nut did not play in jacksonville, must have been Simo Soliman before me john auletta[/quote]
Heck just saw a you tube video of myself playing lead on the Jerry Lewis Telethon 1980 so I guess my dates were wrong _Vinnie Cutro Playing Jazz and Ronnie between us. and Chuck still lives in Dallas -saw a couple Vids of him in 78 or 79 playing Birdland and others .
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AccentOnTrumpet wrote:
You guys know "Something" from the Stick It album? It was originally written for Charley, not Lin Biviano. Charley playing it live is on trumpetstuff, but it's only a small clip. Charley's version of "Something" is not on any album to my knowledge, it's definitely not on The Roar of '74. I've listened to that album, some very good material on there especially "Time Check" and "Waltz of the Mushroom Hunters." It's hard to find but if you can get your hands on it definitely do so.

I heard Glenn Stuart play Something in the early 70's. Of course Biviano too.

John Auletta plays here too.

How r ya John? times flies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlbOmott3gw

ObamaCare, a massive government takeover, a measure destroying jobs and the economy, a law designed to enslave the American people, an instrument of tyranny in the hands of criminal elitists.
jtauletta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Buddy Rich lead players Reply with quote

[quote="jtauletta"]Actually there are a few forgotten lead players here. Chuck Schmidt, and little Joe Rodriguez , both from Dallas. Little Joe got me on the band when he got fired the 10th time. both friends of mine and great players. I might have broke his record, not sure how many times I got fired in the months I was on his band.. Funny Stuff. John Auletta[/quote]
***In Dallas in the late 70s and 80's depending on who was in town a popular big band in town was Harvey Anderson - the trumpet section alot of times was Chuck Schmit Little Joe Rodriguez Bill Collins and myself. All lead players so we had to take turns playing the jazz chair. But it was a blast. We took turns playing lead but that band could play any arrangment of any tune. Greg Bissomet played drums and every player on there was either off the road or in the 1:00 lab band. -
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Smithee wrote:
No one has mentioned that Japanese cat who played lead for Buddy during the 1980s named Eric Miyashiro.

Just a clarification, Eric is American. He lives and works in Japan.

There's an interesting story I read on the internet about his first, frantic, gig with Buddy. It's really a bit amazing. Sorry I don't know where I read it but maybe someone reading will know and can post the link for others. It's an entertaining read.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: uhgg Reply with quote

Chuck Schmidt and little Joe didn't work with Buddy in the 1980's. The day Chuck left, we sat in my room at the Roosevelt in Hollywood, and that was summer 1978, I believe. He asked if I wanted to do it, but I had far too much fun playing jazz on the band, and played all the time, and thanked him, and we hung for an hour or so before he left. He was the most natural and best up and down trumpet player Buddy ever had in that chair. I wish we were still in touch. Chuck was a great player, and one hell of a young man. Porcino is Porcino, and Findley had his fiery thing, but Chuck had something else.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

Mike McGovnor ... recognize the jazzer on the end by the Lead player ?

Very sorry to hear that Simo Salminen passed away in 2014 at the age of 59. This is the Lead player that I had originally started this thread about whom I saw twice with Buddy Rich in 1980. At the first concert, Buddy fired his bass player ... at the second one (a week later) ... had a local college kid sitting in.
Had just released the album "Planet Jazz."
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
bundah

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Russell,
The lead player in that clip is my friend and colleague Bob Coassin. He is a monster player who has played with many of the greats (eg Ray Charles) and spent some years in Europe working with bands such as James Last and Peter Herbolzeimer.
Mike McGovern's solo is brilliant BTW, wow!
Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Mouthpieces and valve alignments
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike McGovern sounds just burning. That era had a whole different level of energy and excitement than we have now. Just so much fun!!

I think a lot of the energy comes from how young these guys were that we're working as often as they were.

There aren't as many touring bands obviously, and not as many eager, fresh, hungry young players to pick from either.
roccotrumpetsiffredi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: What dynamic for a steady stream? Reply with quote

trumpmac wrote:
Bubba Ho-Tep wrote:
hose wrote:
Bubba Ho-Tep wrote:
He had me play into a bucket of water to see how my air support was. And he also helped me learn how to relax more when I play.

Can anyone explain playing into the "bucket of water" experiment? I have heard of it, but I can't remember the particulars.

So you have a bucket or a sink filled with water, and you play in it to see the bubbles come out of the bell. If there is a nice steady stream of bubbles coming out, then that means you have good air support. So when you do it, you want to start out on a low note or just a note thats easy to play, so that you can examine the bubbles when you have good air support. Then you can experiment with higher, more difficult notes to play. And if the bubbles start to get weaker, that means you need to use more air while playing in that register, or you need to relax your throut muscles more to get more air flow. But you should deffinatly try it out. Its a great way to check your air support.

I was with Greg Wing in January with a couple of old buds from MSU. He was asked about playing into a sink full of water in the dorm when he was a student there (he's now the trumpet prof). He not only confirmed that but said he still does it. Musta been a Bill Adams thang.

Curious what dynamic one should play a note with for a steady stream?

Is it considered better if you have bigger bubbles assuming steadiness is equal?

Thanks
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: What dynamic for a steady stream? Reply with quote

roccotrumpetsiffredi wrote:

Curious what dynamic one should play a note with for a steady stream?

Is it considered better if you have bigger bubbles assuming steadiness is equal?

Thanks

Steady is your goal regardless of dynamic. Experiment to see how it works for you.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: There Reply with quote

There are breathing devises for sale that work with water . The steady stream is emphasized when using them as well.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: There Reply with quote

mcgovnor wrote:
There are breathing devises for sale that work with water.

I wasn't aware of any that work with water.

I use Breath Builder (and recommend to my students). I can think of 2, maybe 3 other devices, but none that use water. More info, please.

mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: I'm Reply with quote

I'm in the hospital but when I'm paroled
I'll look at home.
The devise is used in association with a natural healing approach but...the focus is a slow, steady stream of air linking inhalation and exhalation. The devise is used for 15 minutes to half an hour at a time and man do you feel the muscles surrounding the lungs being developed after a few sessions.
Paul Tomashefsky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure of that specific Gig date, but I will vouch for several of my brother Berklee Trumpet Alummni Tony Garusso, Eric Miyashiro, Andy Gravish and Todd Schwartz who all performed with Buddy's band in the 1980's. These gentlemen were all top notch players and great guys to boot! Just had the pleasure of hearing another Buddy Alum and Berklee college Trumpet professor "Jeff Stout" last night at Chan's night club in Woonsocket, Rhode Island. Still sounds great, he will be retiring from Berklee after three more semesters.

"Music washes away the Dust of Everyday Life"
Art Blakey

"If you practice...It will come" Field of Trumpet Dreams
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bundah,

I know Bob is the lead player in this clip (put it up because McGovnor's burning solo); however, the two concerts I saw a week apart had Simo in the second from the left chair ... so, I am assuming he was playing lead. Could be wrong though ...

Mike, upstream ?
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Russel Reply with quote

Yes,Russell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: