• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mighty Bright Orchestra Light

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Mighty Bright Orchestra Light Reply with quote

I have a fairly new Mighty Bright Light. This morning the light started to blink. I was worried that it might be the batteries so I put it on the less bright setting and the blinking stopped. I made it through the gig. Any ideas what would cause it to blink? It's still really bright.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one do that, it would do it sporadically. It never went out completely, but since I didn't trust it, I bought a replacement.

Brad
Bill Dishman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Stand lights Reply with quote

Look into "Aria" brand stand lights. They have multiple versions both electrical and battery powered (internal) and are vastly superior to any other stand light I have investigated.

The "Super Gig-Light" is my second favorite. (AAA batteries)

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my Christmas presents was a "LIGHTESS" brand stand light (just another name that these are sold under - they all appear to be made in the same Chinese factory and then branded under different names). Mine is the one with 9 LEDs in a row. Works great so far - I was influenced to get it (it was a Christmas gift request) after working on Billy Elliot and having that type of stand light - nice and bright.

So far mine is fine. But when I replaced the original fluorescent bulb in a nightstand reading light with an LED bulb, the thing flickered after being on for a while. Took that bulb back to the store and exchanged it - and the replacement also flickers. I think there's a problem with cheaper LED bulbs that results in the flickering with some of them.

It's kind of a hit or miss thing.

Best wishes,

John
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked it up, I bought the light in September. I haven't replaced the batteries because the light is bright but, I'm thinking maybe it's an on or off thing, no dimming as the batteries die.

I sent an email to mighty bright. I'll post what they say.
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a "Proline" 10 LED light for about $35 (made in China). It lights well, but soon after I bought it I noticed that I couldn't store the light in my case with the three batteries in it. Somehow, in the case I carry, it turned itself on and ran down the batteries. I carry the batteries separately.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mighty brights I have owned, many hammerheads and a couple of orchestra, do not have replaceable bulbs.

They do have a one year warranty. "If, for any reason, you are not satisfied with one of our products at the time you receive it, you may return for replacement for up to one year froM date of purchase."
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mighty Bright is sending me a new light. They were really nice when I called.
oljackboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Mighty Brite Orchestra hammerhead and a Aria Brio. There is no comparison between the amount and quality of the light they provide. The Brio is unbelievably powerful, so much so that I usually turn the rheostat down somewhat. The light covers the entire area of my Peak folding music stand side to side and top to bottom.
That said, it would only be fair to mention that the Brio is considerably bulkier and cost more than three times as much as the Mighty Brite. I will say that having outstanding light on my sheet music is a serious help to me as a player.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a bunch of Mighty Bright music lights. I currently have a few Hammerheads which I like a lot. No problems to mention though as someone else pointed out that they easily turn themselves on so you need to remove the batteries when storing and transporting. Alternately I've learned that you only need to reverse a single battery and the lights won't turn on.

I'm eyeballing the Encore or the Orchestra light as possible upgrades to get a bit more stand coverage. All the friends I have with the Orchestra light love them, though it's a bit large for my taste and a bit spendy. If you can find a deal on two Hammerheads like I did at Costco, two of them on a stand are brilliant and you can't beat the price.

FWIW, the smaller Might Brights I consider mostly a waste of time.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oljackboy wrote:
I have a Mighty Brite Orchestra hammerhead and a Aria Brio. There is no comparison between the amount and quality of the light they provide. The Brio is unbelievably powerful, so much so that I usually turn the rheostat down somewhat. The light covers the entire area of my Peak folding music stand side to side and top to bottom.

How many LEDs does your MB orchestra have? I am just curious since it appeared that MB uses hammerhead to describe their 6 LED lights and Orchestra has nine.

Not trying to start a debate, just curious.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I've owned a bunch of Mighty Bright music lights. I currently have a few Hammerheads which I like a lot. No problems to mention though as someone else pointed out that they easily turn themselves on so you need to remove the batteries when storing and transporting.

Another option if you carry even numbers of the hammerheads is clipping the head of one with the others clip and vice versa. This prevents the buttons from being accidentally pressed.

But I agree these could use a design update to use a slider instead of the press button.
oljackboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. I use "hammerhead" as a description. My Orchestra has 9 LEDs.
Point of reference: the Brio has 18. No comparison. VERY serious stand light.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MB Info

Hammerhead Music - 6 LED, 55 Lumen, 3" head, $25 List, 15 hours on 3 AAA batteries, or optional AC adapter (note that there is also a "Hammerhead Book" which cost $5 less and is silver with same specs)
- I recommend this one for the most bang for the buck, though you might need two to cover two pages

Encore - 6 LED, 27 Lumen, 6" head, $45 List, 7 hours on 3 AAA batteries, or included AC adapter
- I don't get this one. More expensive with less light and less battery life, with only the longer head and supplied AC adapter to recommend it

Orchestra - 9 LED, 100 Lumen, 8" head, $75 List, 14 hours on 3 AAA batteries, or included AC adapter
- Super nice if you can accommodate toting the larger light

To my knowledge, all have pushbutton switches that can activate in storage so store carefully or take out at least one battery to avoid accidental discharge.

*Note that Amazon prices are WAY less, like half.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I haven't looked at the links, but all the lights you mention appear to be battery operator. A band colleague has just bought one that he is really happy with, that charges like a mobile phone. I'm not sure how long the charge lasts, but adequate for long gigs apparently, and the light generated is definitely better than my old two headed Mighty Bright light. I hate this light. It doesn't clip very securely to my fold up music stand and keeps moving, making it difficult to keep the light on the music, it keeps switching on in my bag, so I carry the batteries separately, and it is not overly bright.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Hi

I haven't looked at the links, but all the lights you mention appear to be battery operator. A band colleague has just bought one that he is really happy with, that charges like a mobile phone. I'm not sure how long the charge lasts, but adequate for long gigs apparently, and the light generated is definitely better than my old two headed Mighty Bright light. I hate this light. It doesn't clip very securely to my fold up music stand and keeps moving, making it difficult to keep the light on the music, it keeps switching on in my bag, so I carry the batteries separately, and it is not overly bright.

Take Care

Lou

Not sure I've ever seen a stand light that clips well to fold-up (wire?) music stands.

The little two headed Mighty Bright is pretty inadequate and I only use them as a last resort. All the ones I listed previously are miles ahead.
Here's a link to pics of the smallest of the three.
http://www.mightybright.com/Music-Lights/HammerHead-LED-Music-Light/
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aria lights (powered and battery models) are incredibly bright, cover the *entire* page top to bottom and left to bright, are available with dimmer controls, yet fairly bulky when you are packing them into a bag, and ... well it has to be said: quite expensive. But worth it, especially if you are at that age where seeing music clearly in poor lighting conditions is an issue.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aria lights claim a warmer color, how do owners compare the actual light quality to other LEDs? I borrowed a MB for a while but the light was harsh and too blue/white for my old eyes so I stuck with my ancient (incandescent) Manhasset.

Curious, thanks - Don
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
The Aria lights claim a warmer color, how do owners compare the actual light quality to other LEDs? I borrowed a MB for a while but the light was harsh and too blue/white for my old eyes so I stuck with my ancient (incandescent) Manhasset.

Curious, thanks - Don

Hmm, well, I suspect you're talking about 'color temperature', and if so I don't really have a way to measure that. However, with the dimmer (I think it's an optional upgrade, at least on some of the models) you can pretty much get any amount of brightness you want, and I don't find it personally be too harsh in any way.

I think I know what you're talking about though, because I've had some other brand of stand lights around me from other players before, and some of them are like having Xenon car headlights pointed at you and highly annoying. I don't think that's an issue with the Aria myself. I hope that's helpful.

Last edited by RandyTX on Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on a comparison I did against some LED light bulbs, I would estimate that the color temperature of the Aria Brio is about 3000K. Somewhat confusingly, higher color temperatures are perceived as "cooler" light, and lower color temperature are "warmer".

3000K is considered quite warm, and 2700K is about the warmest available for ordinary LED bulbs. Traditional incandescent bulbs are about 2500K. Old-fashioned tube fluorescents are quite "cool" at about 5000K. Maybe it's because I grew up with incandescent stand lights, but I prefer the "warm" color temperatures of about 2700K-3000K.

I really like the Aria Brio; it covers the entire stand with smooth warm light, and it's dimmable.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: