• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Question for the Pros...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Question for the Pros... Reply with quote

I saw Lala Land, and it's a great movie. Great music and it was cool to see Javier Gonzales at the end. I've followed some of his Youtube instructions. This opened up some questions for people that play commercial music in movies, shows, etc.

Do you always have to audition, or do you already have a solid network where you are pulled into gigs based on reputation?

If you do audition, what is it like?

I'd love to understand the process as an outsider.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually the only auditions that you will see are for positions in orchestras and military bands.

Work comes by word of mouth & recommendations from others. Your "audition" for that recommended slot is the first time you play with whatever ensemble it is.

Studio work is again - recommendation from others. Occasionally a composer will want a specific person in a section, and depending on how heavy that composer is in the scene, you'll get a spot.

There have been many occasions when a person sends a sub and that sub then gets the gig full-time. That has happened with me multiple times in my career.

Broadway is all about who you know & who trusts you. MDs can and will have specific people in their pits. In a B'way pit, most of the time each player gets to submit a list of proposed subs, which is reviewed/approved/amended by the MD & contractor.

The only regular audition in NYC are for the Radio City Christmas & Spring shows.

If you get called to sub, go in over-prepared, be NICE and POLITE, be QUIET, be PROFESSIONAL, and mostly - let your horn do the talking for you.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing.

Be very honest with what you say you can do. If you say you can play high notes like Maynard & Waynard, solo like Clark & Guido, orchestra like Bud & Phil, you better be able to with zero hesitation.

If you're good, word will get around. But if you step in it, word will get around even faster.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

NevadaBigHorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......also, don't look them in the eye or smile (they see it as a sign of aggression). One more thing....they can smell fear.
Other than that just go have fun!
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, interesting to know a bit more about how you find business. Thanks.
oljackboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Every gig is an audition"
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Words to follow Reply with quote

First time on a new gig:

1. Show up (hold up finger next to thumb)

2. Shut up (hold up next finger together)

3. Play your butt off (hold up all three middle fingers)

4. Most important....SHUT UP... (leaving only middle finger raised)

As told to me by Ernie Watts.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I've auditioned for gigs has been for pop acts. For example, when David Guy left the Daptones for the Jimmy Kimmel show, the Daptones had an invite-only audition. Me and 4 other NYC dudes were there. They had us learn their last record, and then they called tunes.

Most of the time however, these types of gigs are all about who you know and who can vouch for/recommend you.

I would say that most of the musical aspects of La La land are not representative of what actually happens in the professional music world.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike brings up a point that I had forgotten about - invited auditions.

Again, for these you have to be known by someone who recommends you.

When The Tonight Show with Jay Leno had an opening from Chuck Findlay leaving, only a small handful of LA guys got a phone call to come audition. That's how Lee Thornburg got the gig. I had an "invite only" audition for Tom Jones that consisted of me playing the trumpet book with the trombone & sax guy while the MD listened. No rhythm section, just those 2 players & MD.

Cruise ships will want to see an unedited video of you playing, and they might email you some music then call you 20 minutes later to hear you play it over the phone (been there & done that).

When Cirque du Soleil has openings, they'll post the music & click tracks & you then have to send them a video with no stops of you playing all the stuff they posted.

How do you "get known"? You haven't said what kind of player you are or jobs that you'd like to have. Are you a show/jazz guy or orchestral?

My experience with orchestral is it's almost all about where you went to school & who you studied with. If you went to MSM in NYC, there is a huge network of MSM alums who try to help each other out.

If you're a jazz/show guy, go to the clubs to hear & meet the players. If there are any jam sessions, go to those, meet & play & hope that people like what they hear & dig the vibe that you radiate.

It isn't an easy career. More and more I'll get phone calls from people new in town saying "I hear you're a good guy to hook others up with gigs." To which I'll say "Who have you played with & what have you done?" They'll then give me a brief college resume and I'll say again "Who have you played with & what have you done?"

They really think that because they've recently graduated and played in college ensembles and done maybe 3 or 4 high school & college musicals that they're ready to immediately get a chair in a Broadway pit and get on top of the studio session call list.

It ain't that easy.

Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It ain't that easy.

You dig???

Great post, Tim. If anyone knows how to answer this question, it's you!
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, your job as a pro is a tough career and one that I appreciate as an outsider. I will say that in ANY business it's all about your network. I started as an engineer, then consulting and now software sales. I've been very fortunate during my 24 years post graduation to stay employed and that's ENTIRELY related to maintaining a good list of contacts of friends and acquaintances that know me.

Trumpeting as a career just seems damn tough to me, especially as one day I can crush a tune, and another day I can't touch it. So kudos to all you guys for making it work!
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's another world of entry that I used WAY back in the day when I made a run for it, and now see other using: rehearsals at the local union. At least in LA, there are half a dozen every day. They're always looking for subs, and hanging out is not a bad option. All the same rules apply. I'm no pro now, but even on a Pro-Am level, I get calls from that system to do outside stuff. Plus the major guys hang there, at least in LA: the Charley Davis's, Bob Summers', Carl Saunders'... all of their names end in S, so you better have that going.

Three other key notes, so to speak:
- reading
- good time
- likability
My .02

ed
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdMann wrote:
There's another world of entry that I used WAY back in the day when I made a run for it, and now see other using: rehearsals at the local union.

Sadly it's not like that in NYC. Local 802's building has 2 rehearsal rooms - a big & a small. Usually bands are rehearsing for an upcoming gig so there's not much chance of sitting in. There are a few rehearsal bands, but only a few.

That new building that Local 47 has - wowieee! I remember the terrible acoustics in the old building before they put in new acoustic panels that sadly didn't help all that much.

Was happy to see that structure get razed and a much better facility built in its place. And then there are the rooms in the basement of the main building.

And you're right about sitting in, listening, meeting the cats. When I first moved to LA proper, I was often there from 10am to 10pm a couple of days a week. It was the best for networking. Wish all locals could have something like that.

EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully this new bldg they're looking at in Burbank will be accommodating.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My former roommate Carey Deadman, a Chicago trumpeter, said that you do this (assuming you got the gig in a pit orchestra):

Suit Up (wear the appropriate attire . . . don't smell bad, either)
Show Up (if you're not early, you're late)
Shut Up (as somebody already said, let your horn do the talking)
Save Up (you never know what gig might or might not come next)

Bob Brookmeyer gave me this gem: "Play so good they can't say no."

Of course, as everybody has said in so many words, how well you play is only part of the equation, but if your playing is rock solid, some of your other flaws might be overlooked (depending on how egregious they are).

Great thread, and great responses!
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:
Bob Brookmeyer gave me this gem: "Play so good they can't say no."

WOW! Talk about one line that says it all!!

That one is going into my clinic presentation notes.

gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You play yourself on the gig and you play yourself off the gig. This includes deportment.

Don't ask me how I know this.!!
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suit Up (wear the appropriate attire . . . don't smell bad, either)
Show Up (if you're not early, you're late)
Shut Up (as somebody already said, let your horn do the talking)
Save Up (you never know what gig might or might not come next)

Man, quite a bit in this post is applicable to LIFE in general. Especially the last line... save save save, you never know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: