• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Gone is the Rodeo and The Circus

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejweiss
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Gone is the Rodeo and The Circus Reply with quote

No more rodeo bands in Fort Worth. Ringling Circus shutting down. I learned a lot playing in these groups and met many talented and wonderful people. Two more venues for musicians that the next generation will never have the joy or opportunity to experience.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad. Not just because of another venue lost for musicians, but also and end of an era.

I've seen Ringling several times, and the shows were always a blast. There are still many circuses out there, but none as exciting.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a young kid I went to see the Ringling Brothers Circus in Pittsburgh. Even at that young age, what impressed me most was not the elephants, but the live band. I can remember the trumpet solo on "Music to Watch Girls By" as if it were yesterday.

Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trace it all back to the point at which clowns began to be considered creepy and scary (and you know--they kind of are) by most of the general public, especially kids.

And I don't know--I played that Fort Worth Stock Show when I was at North Texas--sitting up in the rafters where the dust impregnated with manure would rise, playing marches and snippets of music just long enough for the bull to throw the rider and stomp on him. Not my fondest memory of my musical life.

One funny thing about that gig was the "clam hat." It was a folded paper hat like a dunce hat--people probably don't even know what that means today--Google it. When anyone played a clam they had to wear the clam hat until the next guy made a mistake.

I also wasn't a fan of playing the circus and leaving with numb, bleeding chops. But I have to admit those circus lead players were something to behold.
Trumpet30

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fortunate in college to experience many wonderful and memorable musical opportunities both at my university and playing various jobs. None were more challenging and exciting than the 5 years I was hired to play the Ringling Brothers Circus when it came through town. I will always especially remember the first time I got play.

I got to my seat for the sound check and found waiting for me a 3 inch thick leather folder full of music. The lead trumpet player on the show was not only an exceptional player but a very gracious and generous guy. Being my first time and a 19 year old college kid, he told me to take out the music for the first half of the show and put the other half under my seat. The music director, Keith Green-boy he could play, gave some instructions and we started the opening number. We played for about 2 minutes while they checked everyone's microphones. That was all we played. Show time was an hour and a half later. The show starts and basically goes non-stop. Most of the time playing with one hand and turning pages with the other. Outside of intermission, there is very little downtime and zero canned music. As the week went along, I was eventually able to peek up from my music occasionally to watch part of an act here and there. I survived and guess I did ok. I was hired back for the next 4 years until I graduated and moved away.

I was lucky to get to experience the Greatest Show on Earth from the inside. Not long after I graduated, they downsized the band from a full big band to a rhythm section and a few horns that traveled full time with the show. As mentioned before, gone are the days of the circus bands, rodeos and ice capades

Best to everyone!
Bb Trumpet Bach 180S-ML 43 LR
Bb Trumpet Bach 180S-ML 43*LR
C Trumpet Bach 180L-229/25H
Bb Cornet Bach 37-181MLS
Eb/D Trumpet Yamaha 761S
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first full-time gigs were with Circuses, first as the trumpet player and then as Musical Director / Trumpet soloist. For those three years, it was like one long paid vacation. I was privileged to see most of the western U.S. and nearly all of Canada. It was amazing. I met my second wife because of those shows (she was in the audience in Missoula, Montana on July 15, 1987). Sadly she passed away several years ago, but even years after our marriage was over, she too cherished those special times on the road together. And three of my four kids came out of that marriage, which wouldn't have happened if I wasn't playing the Missoula County Fairgrounds that day in July 1987.

It was an interesting cultural experience, too. Circus performers mostly come from multi-generations of circus families. Their society, ways and beliefs haven't changed much in a hundred years. For the most part, the circus life is all they know. It's going to be a harsh shock for most of the 500 people touring with the Ringling shows after the last show ends. A few will find work with some of the smaller circuses still struggling along out there (meaning that some of the current performers with the smaller shows will find themselves unemployed soon).

So, as you can imagine, I am a bit sentimental and sad to have found out this news. That said, the times they are a changin'... One of the primary reasons the circus with all the exotic animals was so popular was because with few exceptions, back in the day the only chance children and their parents had to see such animals was when the circus came through town. Now most of the population lives within driving distance of a zoo or wild animal habitat. And yes, we've grown more concerned as a society about the treatment of animals. But as for the claims of PETA and their like, I can tell you that in my three years of being there, seven days a week, nine months of touring at a time, I never saw animal abuse or neglect. In one rare incident I remember one of the animal acts was running low on propane on a cold night. The remaining propane was used to keep the animals' trailer warm while the humans bundled up in their cold travel trailer.

I'm sorry to see Ringling fold. I hope that the Zerbini Circus, Circus Gatti, Carson & Barnes and the others still touring are at least able to gain from this and as a result be able to expand their tours and shows and take on as many of the Ringling performers as is possible.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decades ago I did a couple summer tours with Clyde Beatty Cole. For sure some of the hardest most non stop trumpet playing of any job I ever played.

For a young guy, getting a chance to see the country, cut my teeth playing trumpet, and meet some extraordinary people; it was a fantastic gig.

The performers were all amazing, the crowds always had fun and were in awe of the flyers and exotic animals, and even the clown stuff.

And never once did I see anything but the most humane care given to the animals. Their caretakers treated them with love, dignity and gave them clean respectful environments.
Jabroni
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Question Reply with quote

Regarding the circus, I will ask you a very simple question.

Lions should be living in a) The plains of Africa which is their natural habitat, (a sanctuary if they are injured)

OR

b) at the circus doing tricks for Americans
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Question Reply with quote

Jabroni wrote:

Lions should be living in a) The plains of Africa which is their natural habitat, (a sanctuary if they are injured)

OR

OR

c) providing one of those cool rugs on my floor with the head intact in a perpetual roar

....just kidding--I hear that those things shed like crazy and would scare my dogs
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jabroni wrote:

OR

I will give you a simple answer: both.

That said, the point of the discussion is that the demand for professional trumpet players is diminishing. For professional trumpet players that is sad. For people who enjoy hearing professional trumpet players that is equally sad. If saving a few lions from poachers by placing them in pens would result in more jobs for professional trumpet players and would provide more opportunities for people to hear them play, then I, for one, am all for it.

I understand that others may disagree with my stated opinion, but I think that debates regarding the treatment of lions might be more appropriate for a forum dedicated to animals. I presume that the people who frequent this site are more concerned about the treatment of trumpet players.

Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I've been very impressed with the live music at all of the Cirque du Soleil (sp?) shows I've seen. Plus you get high art without any of those pesky animal-rights questions.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:
Quote:
Jabroni wrote:

OR

I will give you a simple answer: both.

That said, the point of the discussion is that the demand for professional trumpet players is diminishing. For professional trumpet players that is sad. For people who enjoy hearing professional trumpet players that is equally sad. If saving a few lions from poachers by placing them in pens would result in more jobs for professional trumpet players and would provide more opportunities for people to hear them play, then I, for one, am all for it.

I understand that others may disagree with my stated opinion, but I think that debates regarding the treatment of lions might be more appropriate for a forum dedicated to animals. I presume that the people who frequent this site are more concerned about the treatment of trumpet players.

Grits

I think you initially had a good point in saying that the treatment of lions is better discussed in an animal forum. But then you went and made the comparison of how treatment of lions affects trumpet jobs.

Personally, as someone who is looking for trumpet jobs and wishes there were more, I would not want them at that price. John mentioned earlier that he never saw an animal mistreated while he was with the circus, but I think many people (myself included) would argue that the animals being caged in such small areas and trained to do tricks is mistreatment. Just because they are not being beaten or left out in the cold doesn't mean that the treatment they are receiving is right.

People get wrapped up in justifying these sort of things because they are "tradition" or because they had great memories from when they were a kid, but we need to stop assuming that just because something has been going on for a while that it is okay. We live in an age of technology where you can go online or to the Imax theater and see specials about wild animals in their natural habitat. Not sure why we feel the need to make animals perform and do tricks for entertainment.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:
I presume that the people who frequent this site are more concerned about the treatment of trumpet players.

I think it's a problematic fallacy to assert that because we care about trumpet playing that by definition we should/would care less about any other important issue.

Last edited by cheiden on Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Jabroni
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: evidence Reply with quote

In my previous post I asked a very clear question regarding the treatment of animals, specifically lions. I appreciate those that replied with the ability to understand, that the treatment of animals far outweighs the few trumpet jobs that are left in this archaic spectacle.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please kill the animal rights discussion as that ventures in to politics and I do not see that being resolved here. There are other fora for those types of discussions.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess the trumpet herald needs a dedicated "safe space" as well?
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:

To be fair, the TH is a private, freely provided forum with clearly stated rules. I don't fault the moderators for trying to keep things civil, rather I'm mighty glad that they do. I've been on forums when they go south and I hope this one never does. I enjoy my time here way too much.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Politics and religion were once allowed here and it really didn't turn out well. Politics, religion, and salary are three things best not discussed in public.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Jabroni
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

YES MASTER
Jabroni
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:

Thanks for gamer gating me. nice strategy.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: