• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is the "Bach Mystique" dead?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Scherer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Is the "Bach Mystique" dead? Reply with quote

In the late 1950's, I had the pleasure of studying trumpet with Chicago Symphony Orchestra trumpeter Rudolf Nashan at Sherwood Music School in Chicago. When I walked into the studio for the first time with my Selmer K-Modified, I remember seeing that most beautiful sight laying on the piano -- a silver Bach C Trumpet.

Over the years, I played Strads until I switched to Yamaha in the mid-1990's. ( Although I wish that I had kept the Selmer.) I needed a new horn and got a terrific deal on a Yamaha C and B flat in a double case. Both horns were the new heavy weight models. I have never regretted the decision to switch.

I noticed that for the past two years there has been no advertising in the ITG Journal by the Vincent Bach Co., and that now several of our major orchestras now use Yamaha trumpets -- something that was unthinkable thirty years ago.

My question is: Is the "Bach Mystique" dead?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not if you judge by spending time on this site. There are probably just as many fan boys and haters as there always have been.

There are even a few people on here who like Yamahas.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that for most students Bach is out of reach now. NONE of my students' families can afford a $2600 horn. I'm lucky if I can get them on a used Yammie from a DCI corps or intermediate Jupiter/King/Getzen.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the "Bach Mystique" dead? Reply with quote

David Scherer wrote:
I noticed that ... now several of our major orchestras now use Yamaha trumpets -- something that was unthinkable thirty years ago... Is the "Bach Mystique" dead?

Bach still makes very fine trumpets that sound great and lots of people enjoy playing. Meanwhile, Yamaha has been "tenacious" (Tom Rolf's words) in improving their instruments, often working closely with leading players to get it right, which has enabled them to slowly increase market share.

Boston Symphony Orchestra players jumped on board last August and will be playing a new artist model developed for them. Has a new "YM taper bell," whatever that means. I guess that's how they keep gaining converts. Yamaha just announced this will be available for sale in March.

I hope Bach keeps working hard to compete by developing instruments that sound great, are easy to play and well made. I think they can do it.
Piccolo Stomvi
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they went through a period from the late 90s to the late 2000s where the quality really suffered. I know for me personally, I went from having only owned Strads as pro horns to really not liking them at all. I spent 10+ years never touching one ... or even wanting to. But I will say that the horns they are producing now I would put against any horn made, period. The custom horns, i.e. the Commercial, Mariachi, NY#7 etc I have played have all been amazing (my new Mariachi has replaced my trusty Kanstul 1600. Something I thought no horn would ever do!!). And even the generic 37s and 43s I've played lately have all been night and day better from those horns made during the period I mentioned at the beginning of this post. I luckily get to play tons of horns all the time. So even though this is just based on my experience it is covering a large number of examples. There are a lot of wonderful horns out there, and I'm glad to tell anyone wondering that the Bach brand is once again right at the top of the list!!
Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Blessing Super Artist cornet
Greg Black Mouthpieces
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Bach and Yamaha Reply with quote

The current Bach trumpets are wonderful instruments and the people in charge have got the company pointed in the right direction. That said, Yamaha may be the best promoters of their instruments the world has ever seen and are seemingly unrelenting in their outreach to players. Are they the best? Play them side by side and decide if they're the best for you. Bach's pricing seems to be somewhat more realistic in comparison with their top line instruments and seem to be more widely available in stores handling the line. Playing both is the test and either way you'll have a top quality instrument.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
David Scherer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Is the "Bach Mystique" dead Reply with quote

To all who answered my post on the "Bach Mystique."

Many thanks. Your comments have been most enlightening.

Regards,

David Scherer
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:
I think that for most students Bach is out of reach now. NONE of my students' families can afford a $2600 horn. I'm lucky if I can get them on a used Yammie from a DCI corps or intermediate Jupiter/King/Getzen.

Maybe, but I still see a lot of shiny silver strads in the hands of young kids. Just this week I was sitting next to a college student (not a music major as far as I know) with a brand new reverse-leadpipe Bach strad in that big square case they come in now. He could barely play a fourth space E without straining, but he had the 2700 horn, just in case a miracle happened somewhere along the way.
brass crusader

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you that I think the market is suffering all around, as people are going to more and more boutique horns, like Yamaha Customs and Shires, amongst others.

With so many variations and models released in the past 10 years, and with digital marketing serving those smaller companies best, I think that there is simply too much choice out there, and the old standard has fallen by the wayside as not being exciting or specific enough. The market is falling for vintage Bachs as more and more people are buying new, highly customized horns, whereas they used to look, perhaps, for a Mt. Vernon or NY Bach. With every company making an entire line of trumpets these days, from student level to everything else imaginable and genre-specific, the market is flooded with a lot of very fine instruments, and the resale market has greatly suffered.

The advent of the internet and TH and similar sites drove the prices of rare instruments up, as suddenly people were talking about their scarcity and talking them up. What used to just be "an old Bach" was suddenly a "Pre-Mt. Vernon NY L bore with a side-seam gold brass bell", on the forums, and the rarity and history was talked about more than the playing characteristics. This drove, in my opinion, the boom in prices for NY and Mt. Vernon Bachs up until a year or two ago. Now, collectors have found most of what they are looking for, and many have gone to modern, personalized instruments that are of an incredibly high quality. I'm sure there are more quality used instruments out there now than players, and that will only lead to a further devaluation of these older trumpets. If your students want a good Bach, keep looking, and a nice older one will come up soon for a good price, I'm sure.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
mafields627 wrote:

Maybe, but I still see a lot of shiny silver strads in the hands of young kids. Just this week I was sitting next to a college student (not a music major as far as I know) with a brand new reverse-leadpipe Bach strad in that big square case they come in now. He could barely play a fourth space E without straining, but he had the 2700 horn, just in case a miracle happened somewhere along the way.

I see that too....in some places. One middle school where I teach lessons has new Strads (even an Artisan) and Xenos all over the place, another has few if any. Location location location, I think.

Brad
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Location location location, I think.

Brad

That's it. I teach in a rural Title 1 school. I'm just excited when they don't come in with a Mendini!

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so. Even during the dark days when folks considered the Bach horns at their worst, there remained the general consensus that the good ones, if you can find one, are still some of the best around.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
jaemard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brass crusader wrote:
I can tell you that I think the market is suffering all around, as people are going to more and more boutique horns, like Yamaha Customs and Shires, amongst others.

With so many variations and models released in the past 10 years, and with digital marketing serving those smaller companies best, I think that there is simply too much choice out there, and the old standard has fallen by the wayside as not being exciting or specific enough. The market is falling for vintage Bachs as more and more people are buying new, highly customized horns, whereas they used to look, perhaps, for a Mt. Vernon or NY Bach. With every company making an entire line of trumpets these days, from student level to everything else imaginable and genre-specific, the market is flooded with a lot of very fine instruments, and the resale market has greatly suffered.

The advent of the internet and TH and similar sites drove the prices of rare instruments up, as suddenly people were talking about their scarcity and talking them up. What used to just be "an old Bach" was suddenly a "Pre-Mt. Vernon NY L bore with a side-seam gold brass bell", on the forums, and the rarity and history was talked about more than the playing characteristics. This drove, in my opinion, the boom in prices for NY and Mt. Vernon Bachs up until a year or two ago. Now, collectors have found most of what they are looking for, and many have gone to modern, personalized instruments that are of an incredibly high quality. I'm sure there are more quality used instruments out there now than players, and that will only lead to a further devaluation of these older trumpets. If your students want a good Bach, keep looking, and a nice older one will come up soon for a good price, I'm sure.

Normally I'd entirely agree. The small, boutique builders have really made strides. I'd been playing boutique, but just switched to an old Bach. I couldn't be happier. Sometimes it just takes time to find the horn that feels right
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New is not necessarily better, in spite of what all the advertising hype and the internet would have one believe.

I see an inordinate number of the so-called boutique instruments on the used market- way out of proportion to their original market share. I think a lot amateur and hobby players tend to go for the hyped-up custom horns, while the artists and professionals stay with their Bachs, Yamahas and other traditional instruments.

I often wonder why people seeking advice regarding a horn purchase seem to accept the opinions of posters on this forum whose playing abilities and experience are unknown, rather than looking at what the majority of professionals are playing.

If you think the days of Bach being the standard are over, make a list of all the great players still using them and compare it to any list of players using a particular custom or boutique horn.

Custom horns can be great, but they are not necessarily "better" than mainstream horns. They are just different and give more choices to the player. But the fact that so many players choose Bach instruments is telling IMHO.

Steve

Last edited by Winghorn on Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of the boutique makers (and some big ones, too), there have been a lot of booms and busts here on TH.....

Zeus
Lawler
Eclipse
Adams
Conn V1
Raptor
Carol Brass
Callet
Wild Thing
And a host of others I can't remember!

Something will come along and everybody will go crazy for it and then it will fade away.

Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the "Bach Mystique" dead? Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
...Boston Symphony Orchestra players jumped on board last August and will be playing a new artist model developed for them. Has a new "YM taper bell," whatever that means. I guess that's how they keep gaining converts. Yamaha just announced this will be available for sale in March....

I had the opportunity to play this horn at NAMM. The Yamaha rep I spoke to said that it had a tighter bell taper than the one used on their Chicago and regular New York Artist models. I thought all three were terrific horns.

I also played the Bach C trumpets at the Conn-Selmer booth as well. I remember playing a Chicago, a Philly, an Artisan and some kind of 229H. I liked them all.

I also played a C3-HD at the Schilke booth. I thought that was a terrific horn, too.

It seems manufacturers are truly putting out some fabulous trumpets these days.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:
Speaking of the boutique makers (and some big ones, too), there have been a lot of booms and busts here on TH.....

Zeus
Lawler
Eclipse
Adams
Conn V1
Raptor
Carol Brass
Callet
Wild Thing
And a host of others I can't remember!

Something will come along and everybody will go crazy for it and then it will fade away.

Ok, so maybe the hyped discussion and excitement goes away, but did those HORNS actually "fade away?" I guess in some cases they did, not sure about all of them.

Brad
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can assure you Adams is alive, well, and growing faster than ever. We are not going anywhere but hopefully continually up. Certainly not a "fad" as evidenced by the tremendous show we just had at NAMM and how many new dealers are signing on worldwide.

I think Bach is also making some absolutely fantastic horns these days as are a ton of makers as well.

Best,
Trent
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, Brad. I should have chosen my words more carefully. I was specifically talking about the amount of forum traffic the new brands generated when they were first introduced.

cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad there are so many options of great axes to play ... pro or amateur, we all have different taste in what 'feels best' to us.

I played an Artisan when they were first introduced ... one made for Alex Yates ... and it was awesome. Recently, I had been thinking about picking one up and also wanted to play the Commercial model. Played them both today at a local dealer ... and it was way earlier in the day than I normally play, but I did not like either at all. Really bummed about that too. Did like a 37 LT and a 43 better, but not enough to purchase.

Gotta say, my Adams A4 LT Shepherd's Crook with 5.5" red brass bell is the best trumpet I have ever played. So responsive and a sound that makes me happy every time I play it.

As much as I want to join the club, I just can't find a Bach for sale that 'fits' me.

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: