• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Whats your plan for 2017?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anthony Miller

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Whats your plan for 2017? Reply with quote

As a comeback player I'm working away at my lesson plan/ method and pleased with the way it's going. After the initial burst of adrenaline at playing again after 20 years or so I'm settling into a routine and starting to level out. This year I'd like to build my range to C above the staff - I can play an 'A' above the staff comfortably better than 20 years ago!! And my other aim for the year is to learn a minimum of 6 jazz standards - chord changes, melody - and start to brush up on my improvisation skills. So what about you? Any goals for this new year?
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To keep it going with the bands I'm in is all I need
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Continue to expand my repertoire of jazz standards (looking to learn minimum 50 more tunes this year, with emphasis on bebop era)

2) Expand my facility with melodic minor & the associated modes

3) More trumpet/vocal jazz performances with the girlfriend

4) Purchase a pocket trumpet for camping and travel this summer

5) Continue to play in such a way as to cause the audience to feel joyful swing

6) Never pass up an opportunity to play with and learn from other musicians
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to keep on playing, with the band or by myself. Play ! Play ! Play!
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a comeback player in the true sense of the word - I'm a middle/high school band director - but the extent of my playing over the past few years has been Hot Cross Buns with my beginners. I just just moved and joined a new community band. At the first rehearsal, I was put on first part and we read: Esprit de Corps, Holst 1st Suite, Chorale and Shaker Dance, The Sinfonians, Kirkpatrick Fanfare, and about three more. I quickly realized that I was in over my head in terms of endurance!

Since then, I've been working out of the following:
Arban Manual/Arban - Surprisingly, neither of my two college trumpet teachers used Arban! Maybe that's why I've got some hole in my technical development that I want to close. This is also working really well on getting my endurance back.
Getchell Book 2 - There are some really fun melodies in this book.
Chicowicz Flow Studies - The red book which has the VC 1, VC 2, and slurs pages, plus all of the other flow studies.

With a two year old, plus a new one due during marching season, I know it's going to be a struggle at times, but I'm really hoping to see progress this year.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Anthony Miller

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it GeorgeB - same here! The brass band I joined in October last year keeps me on my toes but even without that, as a comeback player, I'm so excited to be playing again and making some progress. (And, being 20 years older, age has added an extra motivation!! )

GeorgeB wrote:
I'm just going to keep on playing, with the band or by myself. Play ! Play ! Play!
Anthony Miller

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Matt - small steps in many ways!

mafields627 wrote:

With a two year old, plus a new one due during marching season, I know it's going to be a struggle at times, but I'm really hoping to see progress this year.
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Whats your plan for 2017? Reply with quote

Anthony Miller wrote:
As a comeback player I'm working away at my lesson plan/ method and pleased with the way it's going. After the initial burst of adrenaline at playing again after 20 years or so I'm settling into a routine and starting to level out. This year I'd like to build my range to C above the staff - I can play an 'A' above the staff comfortably better than 20 years ago!! And my other aim for the year is to learn a minimum of 6 jazz standards - chord changes, melody - and start to brush up on my improvisation skills. So what about you? Any goals for this new year?

Great question, for me:
1. work through Arban w/ Bryan Cross's checklist
2. continue Chris Gekker Slow Practice (helping my range already)
3. work with a new pro teacher
4. play many, many other things during this...
PC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it will be getting more serious about jazz impro. Like the posters above, my new big band raised the bar and my half-off and not-in-time solos aren't good enough, when the other band members rock!

Apart from that pressing issue, I will persevere with the Greg Spence method (mystery to mastery) which is already doing wonders to my precision hitting high notes (useful when playing lead or 2nd in the big band) and to my endurance (most needed for 3-set gigs).

Else, more practice and slow progress planned for the exotic side-shows, natural trumpet and cornetto.

Best,
Pierre
comebackcornet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bunch of books I am working through, and many more I would like to get to. However one concrete goal is to make it all the way through the Bai Lin Lip Flexibilities. I can play #31 now (just barely) so I think this is a good goal that I could possibly achieve.
dmh737
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been just simple stuff to try to build a little endurance to practice. Now I have just started the Rubanks Advanced Method starting at the beginning. I'm going with the lesson plan as-is from the beginning of the method. So far I like the results. It's really starting to clean up my playing and adding a lot more core to my sound.

Dave
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound, intonation, time, language.

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louder, higher, faster.
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Whats your plan for 2017? Reply with quote

Anthony Miller wrote:
So what about you? Any goals for this new year?

Great goals! I find with my college students, goals of the short term (one month), intermediate term (3-6 months), longer term (up to one year) and full directed plans (where do you see yourself 3-5 years from now and what will help you get there?) are most helpful. Good for you in thinking of goals and using them to direct your practice!

For me, I have a recital on April 2, and that is my main goal. Last fall, we did Brandenburg 2 with the orchestra, and that was a main goal of the summer and early fall practice last year. This spring, it's Copland (Quiet City), Hubeau (Sonata), Bozza (Caprice) and Arutunian (Concerto). After that, I am looking for our fall orchestral schedule, and at the possibility of playing some new transcriptions I've finished of works for the fall faculty recital. That, with my teaching and other work, will keep me busy.

Great post! I am reading every answer with interest and excitement.

Al
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expanding bebop vocabulary. I really want to work on using Coltrane patterns over traditional changes. I'm very interested this year in using fourths more, and really understanding altered changes and using more diminished vocab.

My vocabulary has become quite stale. Excited to be working on more interesting stuff. Listening to more sax players than I ever have! They have infinite lines and patterns. I want to play like that!
DutyBugler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goal is to arrange my schedule so I can make sure to get regular practice in every day.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goals aren't exactly structured, but at some point this year I'd like to:

1.) get another trumpet, maybe two. Right now I'm looking to find a good used ML/37 Strad, and then mod it with an aftermarket leadpipe. The goal for that is to get a horn that's a better legit horn than my Jupiter 1600i Ingram, and possibly overall more versatile. (and that has a better blow than the typical Bach, hence the aftermarket leadpipe.) If I get a second trumpet, it will be C trumpet, and I have no clear idea as to what, except that I want either a Bach or a Yamaha.

2.) I really need to start to learn to improvise better - I'm going to dig into that a bit more and see if I can't get a toehold or two to start that long climb toward better proficiency with that.

3.) I've been working on my technique, and I'd like to get it back to a place where I'm overall just a cleaner, more accurate player. I'm not awful now, but it could definitely be improved.

4.) I've been drumming recently. A lot. I've had several opportunities pop up, and I've missed it over the last year or so where I hardly touched my kit. I realize that this isn't exactly in line with practicing trumpet, but drumming has always had a positive influence of other aspects of my trumpet playing, chiefly locking in my time, pocket and groove, and oddly enough, phrasing as well.

5.) I'd like to try to do the above, but try to keep it in balance with the rest of my life - not always easy.

Those are what I'm working on moving forward with this year.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized that this thread is in the comeback section. I'm not a comeback player, but I could still stand to improve a bunch of things about my knowledge and playing.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
bg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will be on sabbatical leave from my teaching position for the fall semester. This translates into time off from mid-May until mid-January. I will be traveling more to perform, and doing more workshops. My plans already include separate tours with Ernie Watts, Sheila Jordan and Paa Kow, and some guest artist tours in England and France with local trios.

If anyone would like me to visit their school during this time, PM me here. I'd love to meet you in person, and to spend time with your students.

BG
Gartex1960

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Whats your plan for 2017? Reply with quote

To get back to where I was in 1999! I had to take off for braces!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: