• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra: Tribute to Dizzy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra: Tribute to Dizzy Reply with quote

Howdy, all.

Part of my holiday present from my better half was a pair of tickets to see the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra's "Celebrating Dizzy Gillespie" concert last Friday. I haven't seen them play live in about a decade. To say that the concert was thrilling is an understatement. I was moved to write a review.

Vincent Gardner in the trombone section was the Music Director and served as an amiable and knowledgeable MC for the evening.

Wynton, of course, was utterly amazing. His solos on those Tad Dameron tunes were jaw-dropping. I remember one lick he belted out that made the rest of the trumpet section audibly howl. Wynton's sound is as big as a house. He really has a commanding musical presence and his solos are chock-full of fascinating melodic ideas. (He also has a very entertaining on-stage rapport with drummer Ali Jackson.)

I think, however, the highlight of the evening was Kenny Rampton's ballad solo on "I Can't Get Started." What a powerful, room-filling performance, done with wit and emotion. The lady and I both had tears in our eyes.

Greg Gisbert was on lead, and he was nails all night. That was a big lead book he was playing, and he did so with assurance and deep swing. And of course Marcus Printup offered a few memorable solos - his Rhythm Changes solo was particularly tasty, in my opinion.

This band is just chock-full of world class musicians. There were at least two occasions where all the trumpets and trombones were playing licks in unison and they were all 100% locked in and perfectly in tune, so much so I almost jumped out of my seat. Don't get to hear playing like that very often!

The fascinating arrangements, big-time trumpet playing, and informative and entertaining production made for a great evening.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a great time! One of these days I will have to try and catch them.

Pete
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are going to be playing about 1.5hrs away from me in April -- I hope to be able to make it. Wynton has been a lifelong hero and influence, and I really enjoy Marcus' and Kenny's playing also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: