• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stage fog

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck- you're in Texas so I wouldn't think it'd be much of a thing. If you were in CO like Don I'd figure the THC added to the fog might be the problem . I have to admit I've played many venues with fog added for the lighting effects and never really thought anything about it. Now I suppose you've got me thinking about it and it'll screw me up forever. Thanks, Brad...
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
Heck- you're in Texas so I wouldn't think it'd be much of a thing. If you were in CO like Don I'd figure the THC added to the fog might be the problem . I have to admit I've played many venues with fog added for the lighting effects and never really thought anything about it. Now I suppose you've got me thinking about it and it'll screw me up forever. Thanks, Brad...

No problem Craig, always glad to be the voice of pessimism, doom and gloom....

😎

Brad
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmph. I used to say that, since my house is at about 7500', all my notes are high notes.

Now, that could be taken wrongly...
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Hmph. I used to say that, since my house is at about 7500', all my notes are high notes.

Water at your place boils at 198 deg.F ?
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Craig Turley, who used to tour with the Osmond Brothers back in the day, tell a funny story about stage fog. In their stage show they used fog effects, and all that CO2 fog one night drifted down into the pit and the guys in the horn section had a hard time breathing. A roadie passed an oxygen tank around and they all took turns inhaling mostly pure oxygen. Craig, who was playing lead on that chart, then had to play a high D. He said the note came out so honking loud that Donny actually stopped singing for a moment and gave him a surprised look.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
Don Herman rev2 wrote:

Water at your place boils at 198 deg.F ?

Yup, more or less... And things dry out fast.

Many years ago some bright young kid decided smoke bombs would work for effect. The results were less than desirable; nobody could breathe and our eyes burned. We had to stop to clear the air and rinse our eyes and throats.

Then there was the time the fog machine, right next to our bass player, caused his (tube) amplifier to destroy itself on stage. Loudly.

Blah.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of breathing out of a tank... About a hundred years back in my rock band days, we played a small Illinois town prom who chose "Feelings" as their motto tune. There were helium balloons all over the place and there was still a tall tank of it back stage the drummer and guitar player were screwing with during breaks. So, came time to crown the king and queen and the tune and dance, the singer who'd been out doing his own fog at the last break dragged the tank on stage up to the mic and proceeded to sing "Feelings" through intermittent hits of helium. It was about the funniest thing I'd ever heard but no one in the HS was amused. Had to do some major fence mending on the spot to get paid.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
Speaking of breathing out of a tank... About a hundred years back in my rock band days, we played a small Illinois town prom who chose "Feelings" as their motto tune. There were helium balloons all over the place and there was still a tall tank of it back stage the drummer and guitar player were screwing with during breaks. So, came time to crown the king and queen and the tune and dance, the singer who'd been out doing his own fog at the last break dragged the tank on stage up to the mic and proceeded to sing "Feelings" through intermittent hits of helium. It was about the funniest thing I'd ever heard but no one in the HS was amused. Had to do some major fence mending on the spot to get paid.

Damn disrespectful no good, young whippersnapper, hippie/commie/bedwetter/ musicians!! 😎

Brad
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
Stage guys have told me "it's just water" and do not be worried about it.

Well that's reassuring (after all, one must have a degree in Microbiology to be a stage hand).
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:

Well, now I have to relate a somewhat similar tale. No trumpet content; I was the sound man. This was in the late '70s or early '80s, and Bob the singer favored the high tenor parts from bands such as Boston, Yes, and Styx. The song was "Rockin' The Paradise" by Styx.

Bob thought that helium-voice would be funny, so he grabbed a balloon and took a big lungful, and then began to belt out the high vocal intro, "Tonight's the night we'll make history, as sure as dogs can fly ..." and promptly keeled over, knocking down many things and damaging both his vocal mic and his guitar.

He had just taken a big breath, as always, to belt out that power vocal part. But the breath didn't contain oxygen, so he fainted from hypoxia. What a spectacle! After getting a lungful or two of air, Bob recovered immediately, and was not injured. His dignity was not damaged either, because he had none. Regardless, the helium vocal part was hilarious while it lasted.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
The song was "Rockin' The Paradise" by Styx.

I was a sucker for that band and that song. When I used to play bass I could play most of that album by ear. Good times.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
DoubleEagle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be be in a singing/acting group in the '90s that used two kinds of fog, depending on what we could get. The dry ice type fog had a couple advantages. It stayed low as it was heavier than air so it wasn't being breathed in by us, the singers. It actually looked like ground fog as well, which was the intent. The only ingredients were dry ice and a lot of very hot water. Given the amounts of each, I'm guessing the fog was really mostly water vapor and not CO2. While there may be other stuff out there in use, I'm not sure why high humidity at room temperature should cause big breathing problems, though I can see where horns might play differently in thicker air. There was no odor.

The "mechanical" fog was different. It's actually smoke from burning an oil. It tended to rise, making breathing (and singing) harder, and it smelled bad and tended to irritate the breathing apparatus. The device also made a big hissing noise which real fog doesn't do, so it spoiled the theatrical effect a bit. I guess I'd inquire about the materials used

We did did an original one act musical based on Addams Family characters in the family graveyard
Benge CG, Early '70s Selmer piccolo, Early '80s Selmer piccolo, Conn 12A cornet, Conn 38A cornet, Conn 48A Connqueror "Vocabell", Conn Connquest 76A cornet, Conn Director 17A Coprion cornet, Conn Director 15A cornet, '50 Olds valve/slide trombone
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatrical_smoke_and_fog
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
DoubleEagle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess I stand corrected. I didn't know that there are only trace amounts of CO2 in the air naturally. I thought there was considerably more than there is. We got a fair amount of fog with a very small amount of dry ice and a cooler-sized container. The effect didn't last long.
Benge CG, Early '70s Selmer piccolo, Early '80s Selmer piccolo, Conn 12A cornet, Conn 38A cornet, Conn 48A Connqueror "Vocabell", Conn Connquest 76A cornet, Conn Director 17A Coprion cornet, Conn Director 15A cornet, '50 Olds valve/slide trombone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: