• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

looooong mouthpiece adjustment !!!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddie Jeffries

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: looooong mouthpiece adjustment !!! Reply with quote

A long time ago I needed a medium-depth mouthpiece that would be a compromise beween range and tone.

By interpolating and extrapolating other mouthpieces that I had successfully used, deep for tone and shallow for range, I deduced that a Wick 2B should be perfect.

I ordered a new one.

I could not play anything above the staff with it.

I could actually play MUCH higher on a Wick 2 than on the Wick 2B.

Everything went crazy wrong as soon as I tried to go above the staff on the Wick 2B.

After a couple of weeks I gave up and re-sold the Wick 2B.

A couple of years later I tried a Wick 2B again.
I had exactly the same problem.

But this time I stuck with it longer because my problem with it did not seem logical.

Eventually my embouchure slowly adjusted and the Wick 2B is now my best mouthpiece for compromise between range and tone.

How long did the embouchure adjustment take for the Wick 2B?

APPROXIMATELY 6 MONTHS !!!

I can make only one guess that makes any sense at all.
I am a senior citizen, and my muscle memory was so stubbornly stuck on the Wick 2 that my embouchure refused to adapt to the shallower Wick 2B cup.
I might have been bottoming out as soon as I tried to go above the staff on the Wick 2B.
If so, imagine what my lip intrusion must have been on the Wick 2 when I was playing High G's...

Any other theories on why it took my embouchure 6 months to adjust to the Wick 2B?

BTW, see my post in the Trade and Trial thread. Looking for a dis-continued Wick 2C cornet mouthpiece. I am obviously a glutton for punishment.

Dr. Manhattan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"..................BTW, see my post in the Trade and Trial thread. Looking for a dis-continued Wick 2C cornet mouthpiece. I am obviously a glutton for punishment."

You never know until you try! Right!?
It's always greener on the other side of the fence!
That's our punishment!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
epoustoufle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Manhattan wrote:
"..................BTW, see my post in the Trade and Trial thread. Looking for a dis-continued Wick 2C cornet mouthpiece. I am obviously a glutton for punishment."

That's our punishment!

I've actually played on the Wick 2c cornet mouthpiece. It's much shallower than the 2b, you might not like it even if you can find one. It's in the range of the trumpet c cups in terms of depth. Unless you're playing sop, it could be a but trumpetty for cornet.
Eddie Jeffries

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epoustoufle wrote:
Dr. Manhattan wrote:

That's our punishment!

I've actually played on the Wick 2c cornet mouthpiece. It's much shallower than the 2b, you might not like it even if you can find one. It's in the range of the trumpet c cups in terms of depth. Unless you're playing sop, it could be a but trumpetty for cornet.

I owned a Wick 2C many years ago, bought off of eBay.

Couldn't play it very well because it was too shallow for my embouchure which was used to a deep Wick 2 (no letter).
So I got rid of it.

However, since my embouchure has now adapted to the Wick 2B, I am hoping that I could now use the Wick 2C without much more adaptation.

The jump from a Wick 2 to a Wick 2C was too much all at once.
The jump from a Wick 2B to a Wick 2C is a much smaller jump.

I considered getting a Bach mouthpiece that would approximate a Wick 2C cornet mouthpiece.
However, the Kanstul Comparator is no help in finding such mouthpiece.
10 years ago I complained to Kanstul that their Comparator showed the Wick 2 and Wick 3 having exactly the same size, which is obviously wrong.
http://www.kanstul.com/MPcompare/MouthpieceComparator.html
Since the Comparator shows the wrong size for the Wick 2, I can't use the Comparator to find a Bach mouthpiece that equates to the Wick 2.

BTW, for years I was having trouble with inability to lock onto an A above the staff, although I could easily play an octave higher, so I tried the Wick 2B HeavyTop.
It made the A above the staff a little bit easier for a while, until my adjustment to the regular Wick 2B was more advanced.
Now I have only moderate problem locking onto A above the staff with both versions of the Wick 2B.
The problem *feels* like a gap problem, but experimenting indicated that it probably isn't a gap problem.
I just play very softly with minimal mouthpiece pressure to get an acceptable A above the staff that requires my complete attention for control.

Whew.
I threw everything but the kitchen sink into this post.
Old poots like myself tend to ramble.

BTW, I played with Maynard Ferguson for many years.
Until my record player broke....

zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: looooong mouthpiece adjustment !!! Reply with quote

Eddie Jeffries wrote:
A long time ago I needed a medium-depth mouthpiece that would be a compromise beween range and tone.

By interpolating and extrapolating other mouthpieces that I had successfully used, deep for tone and shallow for range, I deduced that a Wick 2B should be perfect.....

I have a problem with this assumption/misconception. The mouthpiece will not give you any notes - change the tone - yes, change the pitch relationship - yes, support the range you have and help you maintain the tone with range you have - yes.

My range is the same from Flugelhorn thru Piccolo with drastically different depth of mouthpiece, and the same on my Bb with my "B", "C" cups and my shallower "lead" setup.

Not to send you on the proverbial mouthpiece safari but I will suggest that Wick mouthpieces aren't a good "fit" for you (I know I am not happy with the way they work for me especially in the upper registers - lack focus and as you have found- pitch issues with certain overtones...)

It is a difficult road, but I'd be more apt to have you work with someone to find something that works better - The ITG conference is coming up soon this summer, an excellent place to test drive a wide variety of pieces and to get assistance from those with the knowledge.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Eddie Jeffries

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: looooong mouthpiece adjustment !!! Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Eddie Jeffries wrote:

By interpolating and extrapolating other mouthpieces that I had successfully used, deep for tone and shallow for range, I deduced that a Wick 2B should be perfect.....

I have a problem with this assumption/misconception. The mouthpiece will not give you any notes - change the tone - yes, change the pitch relationship - yes, support the range you have and help you maintain the tone with range you have - yes.

My range is the same from Flugelhorn thru Piccolo with drastically different depth of mouthpiece, and the same on my Bb with my "B", "C" cups and my shallower "lead" setup.

Not to send you on the proverbial mouthpiece safari but I will suggest that Wick mouthpieces aren't a good "fit" for you (I know I am not happy with the way they work for me especially in the upper registers - lack focus and as you have found- pitch issues with certain overtones...)

It is a difficult road, but I'd be more apt to have you work with someone to find something that works better - The ITG conference is coming up soon this summer, an excellent place to test drive a wide variety of pieces and to get assistance from those with the knowledge.

As I stated, my range on a Wick 2 mouthpiece approaches Double C.
An easy Double C until failing health the last few years, now a difficult Double C on the Wick 2.

A Wick 2B does not increase my range.
It simply makes the high notes easier, louder, with greater endurance.

Because the Wick 2B is shallower than the Wick 2 but deeper than the Connstellation 5C-W, the Wick 2B gives me a richness of tone that is between the 2 other mouthpieces.

So I stated the same things that you stated.
So why are you claiming that I am guilty of misconception?

I am a senior ciotizen in poor health, so I canot travel to the ITG.

I should abandon Wick mouthpieces that are the result of a 45-year mouthpiece safari?
Simply because I have had to work to overcome one note that didn't want to lock on just one of the Wick mouthpiece cup depths?
Even though there is no proof that the mouthpiece is at fault in the problem?

There is so much bogus "knowledge" from "experts" floating around, even in Trumpet Herald.
I cpould name certain trumpet pedagogues and mouthpiece pedagogues whose advice should be rejected by anyone with common sense.
Such as choosing certain mouthpieces for "thin lips" versus fat lips".
"Fast air" for playing high.
Pumping out extreme amounts of air to play high.
The player's mind causes the tone, not the mouthpiece and trumpet.
Everybody should play with a downstream embouchure.
Everyone should play a very small diameter to play higher.
Nonsense, nonsense, nonsense.

I don't understand why you say that I have misconceptions and that I should abandon playing Wick mouthpieces.
At least you didn't tell me to abandon my Conn 9A and start playing a Bach cornet.

deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: looooong mouthpiece adjustment !!! Reply with quote

Eddie Jeffries wrote:
zaferis wrote:
Eddie Jeffries wrote:

An easy Double C until failing health the last few years, now a difficult Double C on the Wick 2.

Because the Wick 2B is shallower than the Wick 2 but deeper than the Connstellation 5C-W, the Wick 2B gives me a richness of tone that is between the 2 other mouthpieces.

I should abandon Wick mouthpieces that are the result of a 45-year mouthpiece safari?
Simply because I have had to work to overcome one note that didn't want to lock on just one of the Wick mouthpiece cup depths?

There is so much bogus "knowledge" from "experts" floating around, even in Trumpet Herald.
I cpould name certain trumpet pedagogues and mouthpiece pedagogues whose advice should be rejected by anyone with common sense.

I don't understand why you say that I have misconceptions and that I should abandon playing Wick mouthpieces.
At least you didn't tell me to abandon my Conn 9A and start playing a Bach cornet.

Hello Eddie,
You say you are in poor health, maybe its as simple as your ailing health as to why you took a little longer to adapt to the 2B. Nice though that you perservered and got it working. I've never played a Wick mouthpiece, have been through bachs, jettones,schilke,giardenllis and now i'm on curry's. when i tried to go smaller and shallower i always found it helpful to leadpipe buzz Ala, bill adam routine with the new piece. it just helped me make the adjustment a little easier. anyway, good luck with Wick's and i hope your health improves.
Keep blowing that cornet, Nothing better for the Soul !

regards,

tom
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: looooong mouthpiece adjustment !!! Reply with quote

Eddie Jeffries wrote:
zaferis wrote:
Eddie Jeffries wrote:

I don't know, it seems to me that Zaferis was simply offering suggestions in response to your post. The general tone of your response and the "....There is so much bogus "knowledge" from "experts" floating around, even in Trumpet Herald" comment seem a bit unwarranted in response to someone offering suggestions, and my opinion is that if you don't want suggestions, don't make the post. You have some strong opinions ("Nonsense nonsense nonsense.") yourself. Which is fine, they're OPINIONS.

No offense intended here, but I don't think Zaferis's comments were anything more than well intended responses to your questions. If you disagree, no problem, don't accept the suggestions, whether they come from someone credentialed like Zaferis or not.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie,
Feel free to email me grmouthpieces@gmail.com

I will send you the GR Playing tests and instructions. You can check them out for a couple of days and then either video yourself playing them and send it to me or we can do a Skype consultation. Video would be best if possible so GR and I can both take a look and make some suggestions. These are the same tests that Wayne, Dan Fornero, Fischer, Lazarus etc, all did to get fitted with mouthpieces that work for them. Sound good?
Bri

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpices.com
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: looooong mouthpiece adjustment !!! Reply with quote

Eddie Jeffries wrote:
But this time I stuck with it longer because my problem with it did not seem logical.
Any other theories on why it took my embouchure 6 months to adjust to the Wick 2B?

Mouthpiece piece geometry is awfully hard to characterize by just a few simple metrics about the cup depth. That's why what's seems logical oftentimes isn't.

I suspect that even though the mouthpiece transition seemed like just a small cup change, it wasn't. I suspect that the culprit could be something like a change in alpha angle (undercut). This is rarely published (except by GR) and can make a world of difference to some players. Many (most) mouthpiece lines adjust the alpha angle when they change the cup depth/volume. I have a fair amount of lip intrusion and this is something I've dealt with a bit.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brad! yes, exactly.

My suggestion in regards to your very specific question(s) about mouthpieces was to search out and work with someone like a GR, Pickett, Reeves, etc. that can run you through designs that may address those specific issues. There are a multitude of "adjustments" that affect aspects of our playing. Notice I did not suggest what works for me in mouthpiece nor playing approach.

You, yourself provided proof that there IS a problem, otherwise you would not have written here. You think it's the mouthpiece. You won't change, and you didn't bring up changing trumpets SO the only thing left is the mouthpiece.

From your initial post I was replying as best I could, apparently without the full story.

You've stayed with one design for a very long time, wrestling with a nagging issue. Maybe, it's time to move out of that box, but you will have to be willing to accept someones advice. Mine you've already dismissed.. will you listen to GR - a credible source that has made a generous offer to assist????

good health and good luck.
Eddie Jeffries

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: looooong mouthpiece adjustment !!! Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Eddie Jeffries wrote:

Mouthpiece piece geometry is awfully hard to characterize by just a few simple metrics about the cup depth. That's why what's seems logical oftentimes isn't.

I suspect that even though the mouthpiece transition seemed like just a small cup change, it wasn't. I suspect that the culprit could be something like a change in alpha angle (undercut). This is rarely published (except by GR) and can make a world of difference to some players. Many (most) mouthpiece lines adjust the alpha angle when they change the cup depth/volume. I have a fair amount of lip intrusion and this is something I've dealt with a bit.

The A above the staff is right where my range changes to its falsetto.
But the change is minor problem on other mouthpieces.
Huge problem on Wick 2B.

Whatever is the cause, my embouchure has slowly learned to overcome it by my playing softly and with minimal mouthpiece pressure at that point.

When a player plays low notes, the air is projected close to the mouthpiece throat.
When a player plays high notes, the air is projected close to the rim.
At A above the staff my air would be projected diagonally into the corner of the cup.
With vertical cup sides and flat cuo bottom, the air would be going longer distance to get into that cup corner.
Whereas a "V" cup would keep the air distance short on that A above the staff.

Eddie Jeffries

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Thanks Brad! yes, exactly.

My suggestion in regards to your very specific question(s) about mouthpieces was to search out and work with someone like a GR, Pickett, Reeves, etc. that can run you through designs that may address those specific issues. There are a multitude of "adjustments" that affect aspects of our playing. Notice I did not suggest what works for me in mouthpiece nor playing approach.

You, yourself provided proof that there IS a problem, otherwise you would not have written here. You think it's the mouthpiece. You won't change, and you didn't bring up changing trumpets SO the only thing left is the mouthpiece.

From your initial post I was replying as best I could, apparently without the full story.

You've stayed with one design for a very long time, wrestling with a nagging issue. Maybe, it's time to move out of that box, but you will have to be willing to accept someones advice. Mine you've already dismissed.. will you listen to GR - a credible source that has made a generous offer to assist????

good health and good luck.

I used to have a problem at that A above the staff.

After much work over 6 months I overcame that problem.

I am so disabled by bad health that I am stuck in bed 20 hours per day.
Pain and weakness make it impossible for me to travel.

You want me to travel to get help for a playing problem that I no longer have?
You want me to stop using a mouthpiece because I used to have a problem with it but I no longer have a problem with it?
I still don't understand.

cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie,

To be clear your post seems mostly a statement about your experience, not a request for help. You only posed a single question, "Any other theories on why it took my embouchure 6 months to adjust to the Wick 2B?". I'm not surprised that others might venture that the really long adjustment may have been an indicator of a bad fit, and hindsight being 20/20, that perhaps you might have had less trouble with an alternate path, and that perhaps others in your position may consider an alternate path before working as long and hard as you did. No matter, it's water under the bridge now given that you seem pretty happy with where you're at with your gear, and there's a whole lot of folks here that can't say that.

Here's hoping that you find the other piece, that it works as you hope, and that it adds to the fun. And good luck with the health issues.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: looooong mouthpiece adjustment !!! Reply with quote

Now that you've gotten my attention by jumping me for my suggestions - I'll be less kind and more blunt.

Quote:

Not an uncommon area, going over the "break" between the G and notes abve we're skipping a partial (overtone series)

Quote:
Huge problem on Wick 2B.
Whatever is the cause, my embouchure has slowly learned to overcome it by my playing softly and with minimal mouthpiece pressure at that point.

Good approach but why work so hard at overcoming a flaw in mouthpiece design? Yes, it's a problem with Wick 2B's.. so, don't use them! Unless you're willing to spend time and energy training your chops to deal with this issue. Then, if so, don't complain.

Quote:
When a player plays low notes, the air is projected close to the mouthpiece throat.
At A above the staff my air would be projected diagonally into the corner of the cup.
With vertical cup sides and flat cuo bottom, the air would be going longer distance to get into that cup corner.

OK! On this I will call "BS". Where the "bleep" did you get this? Maybe the way it FEELS to you but a very unusual approach IMO. "Projecting air into the corner of the cup"??? WTF
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point I really think everyone is wasting their time; well intentioned suggestions are not wanted unless they happen to coincide with the OP's opinions, apparently.

And before someone accuses people here of ganging up on a new member, if you read his responses....as I said, I think suggestions are a waste of time and effort at this point.

Brad
Eddie Jeffries

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
At this point I really think everyone is wasting their time; well intentioned suggestions are not wanted unless they happen to coincide with the OP's opinions, apparently.

And before someone accuses people here of ganging up on a new member, if you read his responses....as I said, I think suggestions are a waste of time and effort at this point.

Brad

???

I didn't ask for help in solving a problem.

I clearly stated in my first post that I already solved the poblem with a six month adjustment period.

Eddie Jeffries

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: looooong mouthpiece adjustment !!! Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Now that you've gotten my attention by jumping me for my suggestions - I'll be less kind and more blunt.

Quote:

Not an uncommon area, going over the "break" between the G and notes abve we're skipping a partial (overtone series)

Quote:
Huge problem on Wick 2B.

Good approach but why work so hard at overcoming a flaw in mouthpiece design? Yes, it's a problem with Wick 2B's.. so, don't use them! Unless you're willing to spend time and energy training your chops to deal with this issue. Then, if so, don't complain.

Quote:

OK! On this I will call "BS". Where the "bleep" did you get this? Maybe the way it FEELS to you but a very unusual approach IMO. "Projecting air into the corner of the cup"??? WTF

You have never heard of upstream and downstream embouchures?

One member of TH even has a Web site with illustrations showing the air projection in various registers.

Almost all players are either downstream or upstream players.

Your ignorance of such fact does not make the fact "BS".

And I did not "jump"you.
I merely said that you were giving me advice for a problem that doesn't even exist anymore.
You were telling me to abandon a mouthpiece that now works fine for me.
You were telling a disabled person stuck in bed to travel to ITG.
I don't understand why you would do those things.

Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good GRIEF, no one TOLD A DISABLED PERSON IN A BED TO TRAVEL TO ITG!
How was anyone here supposed to be aware of your medical condition??

The fact is, you DID jump Zaferis when he simply offered responses that YOU ASKED FOR.
You asked: "Any other theories on why it took my embouchure 6 months to adjust to the Wick 2B?"

Hang on a minute.....I'm (finally, duh) seeing troll-like behavior here: throw out some ridiculous and inflammatory statements, then sit back and watch the angry hornets react.
I think it's time, at least for me, to drop all of this nonsense.

Best of luck.

Brad
Eddie Jeffries

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:

Good GRIEF, no one TOLD A DISABLED PERSON IN A BED TO TRAVEL TO ITG!
How was anyone here supposed to be aware of your medical condition??

The fact is, you DID jump Zaferis when he simply offered advice that YOU ASKED FOR.

Hang on a minute.....I'm seeing troll-like behavior here: throw out some ridiculous and inflammatory statements, then sit back and watch the angry hornets react.
I think it's time to drop all this.

Best of luck.

Brad

I did not ask anyone for advice.

I explicitly said that the problem had been completely resolved through a six month adjustment period.

zaferis said in this thread,
"It is a difficult road, but I'd be more apt to have you work with someone to find something that works better - The ITG conference is coming up soon this summer, an excellent place to test drive a wide variety of pieces and to get assistance from those with the knowledge."

He told me I should abandon a mouthpiece that is working just fine for me now.
Why?

You are being a troll when you falsely accuse me of saying things that I never said,
when you deny that other people said things that they did say.

I merely shared my story of a very long adjustment period that succeeded in solving my problem.
I hoped that my story would be of help to others who think that if a mouthpiece doesn't work well for them in the first 5 minutes then it must be the wrong mouthpiece for them.

Stop the hostility.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: