• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Maintainance/repair thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Maintainance/repair thread Reply with quote

How about a "thread" or "department" for maintainance/repair? Then we'd have one place to put all our discussions of our favorite valve oils, how to unstick slides (I think the best method is to take the dang thing to a repairman myself!) and so on.

It could end up being a pretty popular discussion area.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Maintainance/repair thread Reply with quote

1jazzyalex wrote:
How about a "thread" or "department" for maintainance/repair? Then we'd have one place to put all our discussions of our favorite valve oils, how to unstick slides (I think the best method is to take the dang thing to a repairman myself!) and so on.

It could end up being a pretty popular discussion area.

Hi

Yes, I think that this would be a great idea.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only two items I would add to consider before starting a maintenance/repair thread or subforum:

1) When considering embarking upon a maintenance or repair item on a brass instrument, remember the famous quote from the character Harry Callahan, as played by Clint Eastwood in the movie Magnum Force, "A man's got to know his limitations"; and

2) If during such consideration, a feeling of hesitation or doubt ensues, sing these words to the tune we all know, the famous excerpt from the William Tell Overture by Rossini, "To the tech, to the tech, to the tech, tech, tech!"

I have fixed or repaired, modded or built most items (save major plumbing, electrical or structural items) that can be done by a homeowner about the home. I have torn down and rebuilt Jaguar engines, including cylinder heads, balancing the triple SU carburetors, and wire spoke wheels. I have adjusted, set up, modded and rebuilt electric guitars, basses and amplifiers. But my brass instrument work I leave to my techs.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiipopes wrote:
The only two items I would add to consider before starting a maintenance/repair thread or subforum:

1) When considering embarking upon a maintenance or repair item on a brass instrument, remember the famous quote from the character Harry Callahan, as played by Clint Eastwood in the movie Magnum Force, "A man's got to know his limitations"; and

2) If during such consideration, a feeling of hesitation or doubt ensues, sing these words to the tune we all know, the famous excerpt from the William Tell Overture by Rossini, "To the tech, to the tech, to the tech, tech, tech!"

I have fixed or repaired, modded or built most items (save major plumbing, electrical or structural items) that can be done by a homeowner about the home. I have torn down and rebuilt Jaguar engines, including cylinder heads, balancing the triple SU carburetors, and wire spoke wheels. I have adjusted, set up, modded and rebuilt electric guitars, basses and amplifiers. But my brass instrument work I leave to my techs.

Hi iiipopes

I totally agree.

I was thinking along the lines of replies being made by the techs who regularly post on here, when I agreed that I thought it was a good idea. We probably don't want or need a sub forum on DIY trumpet repairing.

There are only a few jobs which I do on a trumpet, and that is replacing valve guides (on trumpets with internal valve springs and double valve guides), valve springs, internal valve felts, and top valve cap rubber washers on Bach Strads.

After receiving a quote of £25 (about $31 US) to fit my own replacement valve guides, I had another tech (who fitted them free of charge whilst doing another small job for me) show me how to do it, and I couldn't believe how anyone could justify charging £25. Needless to say I never used that tech.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
I was thinking along the lines of replies being made by the techs who regularly post on here, when I agreed that I thought it was a good idea. We probably don't want or need a sub forum on DIY trumpet repairing.

There are only a few jobs which I do on a trumpet, and that is replacing valve guides (on trumpets with internal valve springs and double valve guides), valve springs, internal valve felts, and top valve cap rubber washers on Bach Strads.

After receiving a quote of £25 (about $31 US) to fit my own replacement valve guides, I had another tech (who fitted them free of charge whilst doing another small job for me) show me how to do it, and I couldn't believe how anyone could justify charging £25. Needless to say I never used that tech.

Take Care

Lou

Indeed. You state well the other side of the coin: the pleasure and necessity of finding a competent, reasonably priced tech that helps the player as well as fixes the horn. I am also fortunate to have developed a good professional relationship with a local tech who does superlative work at reasonable prices. The flip side of that is I always do my best to schedule maintenance or repair work well in advance so there is no time crunch (barring emergencies, of course, which we all know are worth extra cost as needed).
Eddie Jeffries

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I have attempted to do a $10 repair myself,
I messed it up so badly that it cost $100 to have a professional technician repair my repair.

Does anyone attempt to save money with do-it-yourself dentistry?

Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiipopes wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

Take Care

Lou

Indeed. You state well the other side of the coin: the pleasure and necessity of finding a competent, reasonably priced tech that helps the player as well as fixes the horn.

Hi iiipopes

Thank you very much. Sadly I'm have a difficulty finding such a tech in my part of the UK.

I am also fortunate to have developed a good professional relationship with a local tech who does superlative work at reasonable prices.

Sounds great.

The flip side of that is I always do my best to schedule maintenance or repair work well in advance so there is no time crunch (barring emergencies, of course, which we all know are worth extra cost as needed).

Yes, I totally agree.

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie Jeffries wrote:
Every time I have attempted to do a $10 repair myself,
I messed it up so badly that it cost $100 to have a professional technician repair my repair.

Does anyone attempt to save money with do-it-yourself dentistry?

Do it yourself dentistry, what a horrible thought lol.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: