• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why do method books now start lower?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should also check this out...

https://cml.music.utexas.edu/online-resources/habits-of-musicianship/introduction/
RitchieTrumpet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly do this with students because the low notes, as someone mentioned above, as actually pretty useless when it comes to playing band literature. Also, those notes tend to be the notes that will come out if you don't support the note, so teaching them first doesn't teach the student to support the notes with air. I actually tried teaching them early and it just lead to the student having a harder time moving into the "upper" register, as they had "learned" that support wasn't as important.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a risk with focusing too much on the lowest partial. I agree that it allows a player to ignore much of the embouchure to their detriment. 2nd line G is incrementally better. When 3rd space C can be played without strain that's a better home base in my opinion. Despite some minor effort to do so, I've never been able to move my set point any higher without introducing problematic tension.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beginning Method Starting Notes

Essential Elements - G
Standard of Excellence - C or G
Measures of Success - E
Sound Innovations - E (But directors can customize the starting note.)

Those are the four main methods in use in the US now. Honestly, someone instrument has to compromise if you're teaching in heterogenous classes. Do you pick something that offers more stability and better hand position for woodwinds or something that is better for brass. Oh, and the horns are usually screwed no matter what.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: