• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bebop Scales

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbystern
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Bebop Scales Reply with quote

Here's a new blog post with a free downloadable pdf pertaining to the Bebop Scale, as well as the 6th / Diminished Scale concept.

Thanks for checking it out!
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I thought this was great, and I'll be shedding that pattern (in both its major and minor forms) this afternoon.

I like that you highlighted the connection between the b9 in the dominant and the b6 in the major bebop scale. When writing new licks to shed I often try to create connections between color notes on two succeeding chords. For instance, the natural-7 color note over the Dorian minor becomes the #11 on the dominant, which is a b9 over the major. Or the nasty #5/b6 over the dominant becomes the #9/b3 over the major. I think that creating those kinds of connections of color notes across two or three chords lets the improviser "imply" a minor over a dominant or the dominant over the major, which lets the player sort of "stretch" the form of a tune without actually playing outside the changes. It sounds totally natural to the listener's ears if you have used that color note in a lick over a previous chord, lending a sort of modal approach to the thing, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, just some thoughts over my morning coffee. Thanks for another entertaining post.
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post, thank you.

johnlakejazz.com
bobbystern
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Penta b2 Reply with quote

Hey Turkle - sounds like you mean something like a Pentatonic b2 (Eb-E-G-Bb-C) with C heard as the root (C7#9) which gives you that Maj/ min blues coloration. It's been mastered by the masters and you can find 4 of them in each Diminished Scale. I love that sound, myself..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: