• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

James R. New Mouthpieces Review

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locutus2k wrote:
I have s4M and MS and yes, they are no screamin' pieces. With C or L backbore you can have a more crisp/sharp tone but i believe those pieces are not for the screaming player, they have a BIG and overall rich sound. You can play lead on them but not with the "qualities" that often are associated to lead playing. I like it much better than screaming pieces that, by the way, i've never been able to play with success and/or nice sound.

I don't like using the terms "screaming player" or "screaming" mouthpiece. I don't think lead trumpet playing, or commercial trumpet playing means "screaming" in my experiences.

Looking for a bright sound, or edge doesn't mean screaming high notes, it just means a brighter sound. That can come from cup depth, or cup shape, or throat, or backbore options.

For me, bowl shape cups give more smack, and a brighter sound than V shape cups. And I prefer shallower cups for playing top 40, big band and Latin music. So my sound cuts and has edge. Not for "screaming" or just playing high notes.

And as mentioned, I think backbore shape has a major influence on sound. A medium shallow cup with a tight backbore can produce a beautiful bright, edgy sound.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
I don't like using the terms "screaming player" or "screaming" mouthpiece. I don't think lead trumpet playing, or commercial trumpet playing means "screaming" in my experiences.

Looking for a bright sound, or edge doesn't mean screaming high notes, it just means a brighter sound. That can come from cup depth, or cup shape, or throat, or backbore options.

^^ This.

I wouldn't want to go to a concert where anyone was making a sound analogous to screaming. I never heard Maynard scream, nor any other commercial player. I don't think a scream would be a desirable sound for anyone, and I have also never understood the use of that term.
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
Locutus2k wrote:
I have s4M and MS and yes, they are no screamin' pieces. With C or L backbore you can have a more crisp/sharp tone but i believe those pieces are not for the screaming player, they have a BIG and overall rich sound. You can play lead on them but not with the "qualities" that often are associated to lead playing. I like it much better than screaming pieces that, by the way, i've never been able to play with success and/or nice sound.

For me, bowl shape cups give more smack, and a brighter sound than V shape cups. And I prefer shallower cups for playing top 40, big band and Latin music. So my sound cuts and has edge. Not for "screaming" or just playing high notes.

And as mentioned, I think backbore shape has a major influence on sound. A medium shallow cup with a tight backbore can produce a beautiful bright, edgy sound.

I don't like "screaming" sounds, too. Reading your post i think that a Jim New M/MS or even S cup (depending ont he "brilliance" you're looking for) along with a C (Commercial) backbore will do the job. I've tried the L (Lead) backbore, too, but for my tastes is too tight.

Just to be clear, this is what i mean for "screaming" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9juXfwn1uM and i think that is not easy to obtain with Jim new pieces (Always IMHO). I don't care for that sound (but my respect for the chops he have).
And this is (imho) a beautiful "bright sound with edge" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6QbA4mAClU
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locutus2k wrote:

Just to be clear, this is what i mean for "screaming" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9juXfwn1uM and i think that is not easy to obtain with Jim new pieces (Always IMHO).

But what about these Jim New pieces?

http://www.james-r-new.com/affiliates/lynn-nicholson.html

trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Locutus2k wrote:

Just to be clear, this is what i mean for "screaming" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9juXfwn1uM and i think that is not easy to obtain with Jim new pieces (Always IMHO).

But what about these Jim New pieces?

http://www.james-r-new.com/affiliates/lynn-nicholson.html

Doh!!
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was speaking of the M/MS cups that i own. I'm pretty sure he can do any mouthpiece for every needs.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'd just like to say how much I like the #10 trumpet backbores which Jim New made me. These differ from his S backbore in the following way:

i.e. From Jim New's email:

The S backbore is a Bach 10 backbore, same shape as the Kanstul backbore which was copy of a Bach 10. The only difference is that the tool is inserted deeper in the material than what most Bach 10’s are. This leaves a shorter throat cylinder and gives it a richer fuller sound quality. Back when Vincent Bach was alive he would often experiment with backbore depths. The mouthpiece Arturo owns and plays is one that has the backbore inserted deeper. If you prefer the “standard” depth, I can make a #10 depth as well.

Anyway, I went with this standard depth.

These are the smoothest and most even Bach 10 style backbores I have ever played. My previous favourite was the Kanstul B10 which Jim New made whilst he was at Kanstul. I still really like the Kanstul B10, but this one is even better in my opinion, like a new improved version.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently obtained the James New Lynn Nicholson Personal piece ! Very nice blank ( with some weight to it). Nice plating. I believe a 19 throat and I am not sure of the back-bore. Shorter shank. Diameter is a tad larger than my 50's MF pieces and this mouthpiece gets a HUGE sound. Awesome mouthpiece.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know how the New 5SM would compare to a Curry 3C?
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
Anyone know how the New 5SM would compare to a Curry 3C?

The sound concept and response are very very similar. If you like one, then you will like the other.

The biggest difference is the rim contour. The Curry rim has a more fat and round rim by comparison, at least on my chops. The Curry also feels like it has a slightly wider cup diameter, but that may be a function of the different rim not actually because it's a different diameter.

Obviously the blank is also different. Which affects the response a lot, I am learning. Last year I asked Mark to make me his 3C in a Bach style blank, and it was a very different mouthpiece compared to the standard. So expect Jim's piece to respond more like a Bach.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I just thought I'd share regarding the new mouthpiece work which Jim New is kindly doing for me. As I've said many times, I have a 1979 Bach 37. I bought it used from Leigh at Eclipse. When I tried it, it had just had a replacement leadpipe fitted, and was in raw brass waiting to be re-finished. I've always presumed that Leigh put on a 25 leadpipe, but I'm not sure. Strangely there appears to be no ledge at the top of the leadpipe, like with my Bach 184ML cornet and Yamaha Xeno trumpet. I thought that it was me not using the toothpick properly, but a good look down the mouthpiece receiver with a torch (flashlight) shows that there is definitely no ledge. I emailed Leigh about this and naturally he cannot remember after around 10 years, but offered to have a look at my trumpet. I declined as I didn't want to waste his time for merely curiosity.

Anyway, when dialling in the gap on my Yamaha Xeno II, I tried Jim New's 6 and 6.5 sleeves, and chose the 6.5, which is working very well.

I couldn't make my mind up between the two sleeves on my Bach 37. Unlike my Xeno II, which seems pretty particular regarding mouthpiece gap, my Bach 37 seems to play well with a much larger range of insertion amounts, possibly owing to it having no actual gap. Intonation doesn't seem to vary significantly, and the only difference seems to be that the blow opens and the slots become more flexible, the greater the mouthpiece inserts, which is as I'd expect.

Anyway, my Bach 37 seemed a little tight to blow with the 6 sleeve and although great at first, it became apparent over a long rehearsal, that it was a little open with the 6.5 sleeve. Jim has therefore kindly agreed to make me a 6.25 sleeve. I reckon that it will be just what I'm looking for.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say that James New's customer service remains second to none. If it's possible to do, James will get it done for you and keep you in the loop the whole way. What a champion!
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the S & P backbores

Hey, I know the stock market has been breaking all records, but the S&P makes a backbore?

I have also taken to playing Jim's stuff. He did a tad of custom work for me, incorporating the sharper bite of his W rim with the standard width of his S rim, which gives me better slurs. GREAT to work with! And came out exactly as I was hoping for, with perfectly repeatable results. Jim is simply doing everything right; quality, service, delivery time, you name it. Many have raved about his work for years, I finally got on board.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
Gonzalez wrote:
First, this is NOT criticism of Jim New, his products and service is second to none!

But — I have several Jim New pieces, S5S, S5M, 14A4 and Grant! I like the feel on the chops, but I can't really get them to scream! It feels like they all are holding back! The sound is too kind and won't give me the edge I want for lead and section playing! Reminds a lot of the Danish Elsberg pieces … beautiful sound, but no edge!

Anyone else noticed this? Any recommendations?

Which backbore are you using. Sometimes, a tighter backbore shape can help make all the difference.

I have a couple of Jim's S cups, and I can make them scream and sizzle to my heart's content. With a truly commercial backbore, that is. I find this cup plays nicely with backbores of a wide variety, and his MS cup even more so. Quite versatile!
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
I bought the S & P backbores

Hey, I know the stock market has been breaking all records, but the S&P makes a backbore?

Ha ha ha

---
On another note, who has tried which of James' backbores?

I have the P the S and the 8. Any one using the L or the C backbores? What are your thoughts?

Jim's a champion. I've done a fair bit of custom work with his help and he's always very easy to work with. Plus, if you're in the market for Tops, it works out cheaper to buy a custom top from Jim than to buy a stock Waburton top. Just food for thought...
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Is James' .660 size around a 1.5C?
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to reopen this thread, but I have been using an S4MS for piccolo trumpet for about six months, matched with a Warburton 10* backbore. It works incredibly well. It's not a tiny mouthpiece, but it responds very evenly and allows a lot of flexibility.

In relation to the other 3C's mentioned in this thread:

The S4MS feels very close to the Horntrader. It is not identical, but I can swap between them without feeling I am changing mouthpieces.

The S4MS feels smaller than the curry and the has more bite. The Curry has quite a flat rim.

I hope that helps someone.

On the universality of the Warburton threads, apparently you can now buy the Warburton backbores with Breslmair threads from some european music shops. That is going to get interesting!
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ID of Jim's size 5 rim is the same as a Warburton 4; .650".

Jim's 6 is .660", (so is Warburton 3) whereas the standard 1.5 is .665".

Just in case inquiring minds want to know
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
The ID of Jim's size 5 rim is the same as a Warburton 4; .650".

Jim's 6 is .660", (so is Warburton 3) whereas the standard 1.5 is .665".

Just in case inquiring minds want to know

Well I ended up buying a bunch of the 5 size with the round rim, and I would put them feel wise as a bit bigger than a normally 3C size. That might just be the rounded contour though
OndraJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to hear if you guys are still in love with your Jim New pieces.

I am with my S3,5M (size between 3 and 4) with Kanstul 87 backbore since middle of 2016. Sometimes I try other pieces, but always get back to this wonderful allround piece. When a brighter sound is needed, I switch to the C backbore from Jim.

I have the S and the MD cup too, fine pieces, but nothing beats the S3,5M.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: