• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Any orchestral players who use an atypical mp?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Any orchestral players who use an atypical mp? Reply with quote

Is there anyone who uses something outside the realm of a Bach 1C, 1 1/2 C etc.? I don't mean Al Hirt using his Jet-Tone on the Haydn but a regular member of a pro orchestra who uses something unusual that falls outside of what you would consider the normal range.

Or would it just never happen due to various factors?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Vince.Green
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you'll find too many out there. I'm not sure if he posts on here to confirm the details but I do have a friend who plays in the Montreal Symphony who was playing on a wedge mouthpiece in I believe the Stork 4 range size wise with a 28 throat.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Any orchestral players who use an atypical mp? Reply with quote

What do you consider the normal range?
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Any orchestral players who use an atypical mp? Reply with quote

JoseLindE4 wrote:
What do you consider the normal range?

Are you asking me? Not an expert on the topic but it seems as in a recent topic here mp's in the Bach 1C, 1 1/2 C range are frequently mentioned.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
JJMDestino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Herseth played a large portion of his career on a Bach 7. John Hagstrom plays on a piece with a rim significantly smaller than a 1. Gerard Schwarz played a 5C. I know some guys out there playing 3C sized pieces in orchestras.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJMDestino wrote:
Bud Herseth played a large portion of his career on a Bach 7.

This is often mentioned but incorrect. Herseth switched to the 1B after his car accident, which was in 1952.

That said, there are players working in international-calibre orchestras playing mouthpieces in the 3-5 diameter, but they are a distinct minority.
JJMDestino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I should have said portion of his career (4 years). Who knows if he would have switched if he had never had the accident.
trumpetman.rob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were a professional Orchestral Trumpet player I would have a 1C made and have it stamped 10-1/2C just to give folks on TH something to talk about...
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetman.rob wrote:
If I were a professional Orchestral Trumpet player I would have a 1C made and have it stamped 10-1/2C just to give folks on TH something to talk about...

Better yet, a 1X built on a Jet-Tone blank.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always wise to spend time trying to make the majority equipment work. There is a reason that most players use it - it works for them. That said, if those larger sizes don't work for a player (assuming they give the mouthpiece an honest try), it seems foolish to me to keep beating your head against the wall getting poor results.

I sometimes wonder if there's a tiny bit of self-selection going on with orchestral mouthpieces. There's no doubt that the majority of orchestral players are using something in the 1 range, but the overwhelming majority of applicants and aspiring players are also using that same equipment. If 90% (totally made up number) of aspiring orchestral trumpeters are using a 1 something, then it stands to reason that a similar amount of professional orchestral players would use the same equipment. That doesn't mean that everyone should be using mouthpieces in that range.

That players can get top level results on relatively smaller equipment should tell us that it is possible and that for a certain percentage of players, it's probably the best way to go. You only figure that out by trying new things. Either you can produce the sound needed or not.

If Johnny Oneanaquarter gets optimal results from a big mouthpiece while Timmy Sevensea gets optimal results from a smaller mouthpiece, Timmy will be at a huge disadvantage if he's locked in on making a big mouthpiece work. As a result, Johnny Oneanaquarter wins the audition and Timmy Sevensea sees further evidence that big mouthpieces are the way to go even though in his case, that's entirely wrong.
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

It's all about the sound. If you've ever been seated right next to a player in a major orchestra, then you know what im talking about. They play with a massive amount of sound. It needs to be warm, rich, and resonant while also having enough brilliance to project over a 90 piece ensemble with only 3 or 4 people in the section. For many people, playing with something smaller than the "standard" orchestral range of sizes actually reduces endurance. It simply takes far too much work to try to get a huge orchestral sound on equipment that is not made for that. It becomes counter productive.

Of course, every player is a little bit different. If it were possible to get the sound required on a smaller mouthpiece, I'm sure many people would and have tried tried. From those that I have spoken to, they always end up back at the "go to" sizes. There are of course exceptions to the rule.

It's important to realize, however, that this is an incredibly specialized type of playing. Most people do not need to project over 90 people in a hall that seats 1500 or more audience members.

Happy trumpeting!

Springfield Symphony Orchestra (OH)
- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
- http://www.facebook.com/sevenhillsbrass
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until the last couple decades, orchestral players mouthpiece sizes ranged all over the place.

This new phenomenon of "EVERYBODY MUST PLAY A BACH 1C" is new school. And I don't really understand it. College proffessors and private teachers have been brainwashing trumpeters to play on such big hardware, often to their detriment for years and years.

Then those students tell their students and on and on the cycle goes.

I mean Vincent Bach made mouthpieces ranging from 1-20. Why do you think that is? Because different players played different pieces and felt comfortable and were successful.

Everybody didn't start with their 7C, move to a 3C when their band director or lesson teach told them to, then to a 1C in college, like we do in this cookie-cutter mentality of a world we live in now.

People used to think for themselves and played what worked for them and was comfortable and did the job. This was before the "Borg Collective" of trumpet dogma came along.
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
Up until the last couple decades, orchestral players mouthpiece sizes ranged all over the place.

This new phenomenon of "EVERYBODY MUST PLAY A BACH 1C" is new school. And I don't really understand it. College proffessors and private teachers have been brainwashing trumpeters to play on such big hardware, often to their detriment for years and years.

Then those students tell their students and on and on the cycle goes.

I mean Vincent Bach made mouthpieces ranging from 1-20. Why do you think that is? Because different players played different pieces and felt comfortable and were successful.

Everybody didn't start with their 7C, move to a 3C when their band director or lesson teach told them to, then to a 1C in college, like we do in this cookie-cutter mentality of a world we live in now.

People used to think for themselves and played what worked for them and was comfortable and did the job. This was before the "Borg Collective" of trumpet dogma came along.

I think Dave is right, that in order to get the desired sound, majority of players will need to use something bigger. You're forgetting that over the last 30 or 40 years there has been a homogenization of the desired "orchestral trumpet" sound. So while in the 50s and 60s you had players with a wide variety of sounds, you would expect to then see a wide variety of mouthpieces. Whereas now, the desired orchestral sound is a much narrower spectrum, so you can expect the equipment to follow a narrower trend.

Just a thought...
ravel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3b 22 throat
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are going old school didn't Harry Glantz play a Conn 4? Roger Voisin a Bach 6c?
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must play a Bach 1C. Resistance is Futile....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AyenRCJ_4Ww

It's just so insane to me that people believe only one mouthpiece model can produce "the only acceptable " orchestral trumpet sound.

I'd love to find a principal player of a major orchestra. Have him show up to different rehearsals, using different mouthpieces. One day a 1C, next time a 5C, and later maybe a 10.5C .........and see if anybody realizes the change, or if anybody really gives a
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
You must play a Bach 1C. Resistance is Futile....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AyenRCJ_4Ww

It's just so insane to me that people believe only one mouthpiece model can produce "the only acceptable " orchestral trumpet sound.

I'd love to find a principal player of a major orchestra. Have him show up to different rehearsals, using different mouthpieces. One day a 1C, next time a 5C, and later maybe a 10.5C .........and see if anybody realizes the change, or if anybody really gives a

That's not what anyone is saying. I personally like a wider array of trumpet sounds than what is currently found in most orchestras. For me, bring on the bright, nasally tone, or the thick, rich, mellow tone. I find it interesting to hear the full spectrum. What a few of us are saying is that if a player is listening to the current top orchestral players and is using that sort of sound as a goal for their own sound, then for most players a bigger mouthpiece will help them achieve that. Nobody is saying that there aren't exceptions... But when it comes down to it, a lot of us are trying to get hired and can't afford to be too "out of the box" with our sound concept.

And to the idea of having a principal of a major orchestra try a 5 or 10.5C for a while in their ensemble, depending on the rep they are playing, it is possible other people may not notice... but, I can assure you the player would notice. If they are used to a 1.5C, 1.25C, 1C, 1B, etc. they are going to have to make some serious adjustments to get the sound they are looking for, and they may not be good adjustments.
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play in a full size opera orchestra, and have over that last 10 years ben hired as guest principal trumpet in some of the big orchestras in my area of the planet, Swedish Radio Symphony, Royal Stockholm Phil, Oslo Phil, and I do all my classical playing on slightly modified Yamaha 14C4's, one for piston valve trumpets and one with a Breselmair backbone drilled for rotary vale trumpets (the bottom of the cup and the throat has ben opened up to a kind of very subtle double cup.

Mpc's are like shoes, IMHO, not everyone is made for the size 10's.
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:

This new phenomenon of "EVERYBODY MUST PLAY A BACH 1C" is new school.

I'm not sure where you are getting that from. I can off the top of my head think of quite a few pro orchestral players who do not play a Bach 1C.

Chris Martin: Parke 640-280-24 (prev. 1-1/2B)
Tom Hooten: Bach 1-1/4C 24/24
David Bilger: Bach Mt. Vernon 1-1/4C
Tom Rolfs: Stork 2B+25C
Ben Wright and Tom Siders: Bach Artisan 1-1/2C 25th
John Hagstrom: Yamaha Hagstrom (5-7ish diamter, 1B cup)
Michael Sachs: Bach 1-1/2C 23/117
Ryan Anthony: Pickett in the 5ish range, prev. Yamaha 16C4
Mark Hughes: Parke 655?
Ethan Bensdorf: Bach 1-1/2C
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Chris Martin's answer to this question (from the Jens Lindemann interview):

Quote:
Jens: Do you think aspiring orchestra players in general need to play large diameter mouthpieces?

Chris: Orchestral players should play the largest mouthpiece made. I'd recommend starting with the Bach 1, and if that's too small find a custom shop and open it up bigger...

Not really. Mouthpieces are as individual as our sounds. I play the deepest cup I can and still have brilliance and control-sometimes it's a C, sometimes it's a B. Just depends. I play a smaller rim than I did 10 years ago, and I haven't been fired yet.

Piccolo Stomvi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: