• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Nose Breathing

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know- I do a 5-6 mile run every day, try to stay around 7.5-8 min miles (I'm 64). When I'm running, and at the end after a hard sprint over the last 440 or so, I'm breathing through my mouth, not my nose. And mostly because my body feels it is taking in more unrestricted air, I suppose. Perhaps, however, real athletes are different.
nayr42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Nose breathing Reply with quote

I'm of the opinion that the nose breath is completely acceptable, but you still have to focus on having a relaxed breath. The same principles of a breath through the mouth should apply to breathing in through the nose.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
I don't know- I do a 5-6 mile run every day, try to stay around 7.5-8 min miles (I'm 64). When I'm running, and at the end after a hard sprint over the last 440 or so, I'm breathing through my mouth, not my nose. And mostly because my body feels it is taking in more unrestricted air, I suppose. Perhaps, however, real athletes are different.

Off topic, I know, I know, but if you're doing 7:30-8:00 miles, at 64, you're miles ahead (pun intended) of most people in their 60's. I used to average those same times per mile in training, in my FORTIES.

Brad
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine surviving some of the more athletic 20th century solo literature (Davies, Zimmermann, etc.) without some well placed nose breathing.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw this thread and thought I would provide a link that points to my lesson with David Krauss and the reference that he makes to Enrico Caruso at the Met.

In a masterclass that I attended with Jens Lindemann and Allen Vizzutti, they both talk about the use of a slower breath in practice, either through the nose or mouth.

I like to use this technique on entrances after not playing for a while, and breathe for two beats before the first note. It’s something that I enjoyed hearing about from lots of excellent players, and I use it when it makes sense (for the reasons that were discussed in my posts).
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Nose Breathing Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:

Nose breathing = a good tool for very specific situations done by accomplished players (not for beginners or developing players) - a quick breath playing high notes, lead or picc but opens the door for a lot of "bad" habits for the big picture of playing. But I can also argue that a quick mouth breath can be done comparable in quickness and in no loss of high note chop/tongue posture.

In the book Musical Calisthenics for Brass, it is clearly stated several times to not use the practice techniques laid out in the book, which includes inhaling through the nose, in other types of practice or in musical settings.

They are calisthenic exercises designed to give the player a workout. If you play them as prescribed, you will feel tired after at first, but eventually the muscles will build up to being able to resist the air stream and maintain embouchure form.

It's a good book. I used to beat myself to death with it in college.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH wrote:
I've never heard of anyone advocating nose breathing in a musical situation, only in "clinical practice" of certain kinds of exercises.

Link

Arjuna
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

Mike Sailors wrote:
PH wrote:
I've never heard of anyone advocating nose breathing in a musical situation, only in "clinical practice" of certain kinds of exercises.

Link
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVERY NOTE Chuck played in the video is right on pitch!

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Sailors wrote:
PH wrote:

Link

Killer!
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us have been trained to approach upper range and higher volume by increasing air power. I believe Jens L describes this appropriately - 'wrestling notes to the ground'. Unfortunately, every instance the lips are blown forward exponentially decreases range, power, and endurance. This is the difference between the dime-a-dozen screechers and the quite rare all night, in tune lead players that the best musicians aspire to.

To combat the air power malady Jerome Callet, for one, requires nose breathing for all his exercises. It's nearly impossible to overblow with nose breaths. It may feel weird at first. But the stranger it feels the more benefit it will have - if one recognizes that it's a pointer to deeper ills.
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
EVERY NOTE Chuck played in the video is right on pitch!

Not according to my Cleartune tuner app, the last 2 F's were one tick off,
then again, probably safer bet that my app is flaky. lol

Don't you just love those Hip-bone Videos !! Michael Davis is a prince
for putting that stuff online and making it available.

regards,

tom
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 7th grade I had a lesson with Stan Mark. The only thing he could teach me was to inhale through my nose, and it did quite a lot to help my chops stabilize and develop.

Doc Reinhardt observed that many people inhale in such a way that it disturbs the setting of the embouchure, resulting in wildly inconsistent playing. While he taught to breathe through the corners of the mouth to avoid this, (as Craig Schwartz also alluded to) some of us find this difficult to impossible. I finally developed the ability to actually use this in performance, around age 50.

All that to say that nose inhalations have their place
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: