• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Am I losing Interest in Playing Trumpet?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Am I losing Interest in Playing Trumpet? Reply with quote

Although I still play occasionally, I don't seem to have the fire in my belly to practice every day. And I'm certainly not pushing myself to play increasingly challenging pieces. Is this a normal phase that all player go through? Maybe something else is bothering me and taking hold of my interest lately? Is there anything I can do to snap out of a playing slump?

Constructive comments appreciated.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....Be of good cheer, and give yourself a break......

What you describe is not only for trumpet playing but for every artistic endeavour. Art takes it's grip on the artist who responds by giving of him/herself....but, if there is a gap in satisfaction then it's natural that the artis can't sustain the same 'force' and dedication.

.....However, you may have answered your own question!.......WHAT is taking your interest lately? You would not have thought this without reason.

Find a new musical/brass challenge or interest and relax into it for a few hours/days, then see how you feel about your original activity.

.........Good luck!
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have some sort of venue or ensemble that challenges you, it's more than likely you'll lose motivation to get the horn on your face. It'd be the same for golf, bowling, football, you name it. Once things become purely a social endeavor (and that's NOT all bad), the standards usually relax and skills gradually decline over time, if they maintain themselves at all. In the very least it will be difficult to find people to commit time and effort to maintain a high standard if there is no real, actual need. Sounds like you need to find some great people to perform with. To that end, always consider your rehearsals or "practice" as performance.

I have been so blessed over the past 45 years or so to have always been a part of an ensemble that constantly required me to perform as well as I can. I know when I finally retire from the orchestra things will likely drop off, and that's what has been my constant motivation to keep it going- I'd hate to see those old friends sitting in the case, neglected. Good luck to you.
Eddie Jeffries

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I losing Interest in Playing Trumpet? Reply with quote

HornnOOb wrote:
Although I still play occasionally, I don't seem to have the fire in my belly to practice every day. And I'm certainly not pushing myself to play increasingly challenging pieces. Is this a normal phase that all player go through? Maybe something else is bothering me and taking hold of my interest lately? Is there anything I can do to snap out of a playing slump?

Things that are more important than playing trumpet:

God
Family
Friends
Health

Every trumpet player should keep his priorities straight every day of his life.

Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not for us to answer.

Can you understand and articulate what drives you to want to play.

If you lose something you need to understand what it is before you can find it.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practicing the trumpet has value.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The motivation to practice comes largely from having goals you feel you can attain and toward which you feel you are making progress or which you have achieved which give you sufficient satisfaction to continue playing.

Speaking only for myself, it's developing fluency in jazz improvisation that has kept me engaged. It's an ever-evolving skill in creativity so there's no end to it. Lots of motivation there.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New stuff helps stir up excitement.

New music to work on, new exudes, solos, new music to listen to, new venue to go listen to new music, new ensembles to play in, new trumpet buddy to play duets with, new horn, new mouthpiece.

Playing the same stuff can get stagnant and so can interest.

Just sounds like you might be in need of some new stimuli!!!
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

life is individual for every person so who is to say.
when i pick up my trumpet, it is the coolest thing i have ever seen, it is exciting. a ferrari would not be as good. this is on the level.
my musical taste is not practice routines, whose is, but the act of playing and listening to the trumpet sound is immensely and deeply gratifying. nobody can make you feel this way. it feeds my spirit. why would i wish to stop doing this.
the constant, slow, gradual building of the physical blowing apparatus is another piece of personal development that is deeply gratifying.
nobody can make you love trumpet. it has to come from within. if you need a little break, that's normal, fine. if you need to give it up and switch instruments or simply listen to recordings, do so. music is play so don't make it into work.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me music is work! Playing in a band would help keep motivation high because you'd have to keep sharp
My order of importance is
Work-pays the bills
Family-motivation to work
Health-maintains ability to work
Trumpet-my link to spirituality
Idle hands are the devils play toys
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Am I losing Interest in Playing Trumpet? Reply with quote

HornnOOb wrote:

First, I am not a professional musician and do not make a living playing music. If I were, I most likely would not answer as below.

However, I experience the exact same thing. I like the trumpet and I don't really try to avoid playing (practicing). But, I have no motivation and I find myself doing other things.

I would say that the reason I have no motivation is that I don't have any personally sought after and highly desired performance outlet for the time spent practicing. I could find some performance opportunities easily enough, but I just don't want to play in those situations. Just no fun as I define that for me. To put it another way, doing what I would be willing to devote the sacrifice of time, effort, and energy to do.

Back in 2014, I had the opportunity to play a reunion/fund raising benefit with a great band I played with regularly many years ago. For several months before that engagement, I was practicing every day - just like in the "old days". That was because I was highly motivated by that situation.

I guess if I wanted to play badly enough, I'd seek out performance situations. But, since I don't really want to play in those situations, I'd probably eventually quit, and be back to where I am now.

I think the answer lies within your own mind and priorities. Playing trumpet is no longer a major priority in life for me. At one time in the past, it was a huge priority. Perhaps the main priority. That has significantly changed due to age, changes in life priorities and activities, and simply the passage of time and circumstances. I do not regard any of that as wrong or a bad thing - it just is what it is, and reflects the passage of time and the moving on of life for me.

I think the post above by Craig Swartz is as accurate an assessment as you will find.
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all get into ruts from time to time and just need the right stimulus to provide some new inspiration. You might consider scheduling a lesson. First, you'll be motivated to prepare for the lesson, then you'll be motivated by the new routine you'll have to explore, and then you'll be inspired by the nice playing that results from the lesson.

Best wishes,

Alan
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seek out something you like to do. Not everyone is built to be a trumpet player. Find something you like.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have added to my post above that I have always found that being able to play a trumpet well enough to actually be able to really PLAY a trumpet takes more time, effort, and dedication than what might be necessary for the average hobby. It goes beyond a hobby mind-set. At least in my opinion this is the case.

It's a big commitment. A commitment of time, effort, and regular, just about daily effort. For me, that has meant needing some pretty powerful motivation. Lacking that, I usually didn't do much practicing.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave

as another thought take a careful look at the practice material.
there is always scads to practice and not enough chops or time to do more than some of it.
my policy is to sell out and work on my weak points. through a family situation i am coming off a 12+ month layoff. what i need most is endurance and in a secondary way range. my routine is geared towards endurance. it fits my needs in playing therefore it feels good and exciting to do it.
yes, there will have to be more slurring at some later point and certainly work on articulation. why get bogged down with side issues when you have a fire to put out. whatever else it is can wait until later.
not saying it is true in your case. maybe you can examine the routine and come up with something that would make you want to blow. as they say play the horn don't work it.
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone! Your words and advice were most encouraging and instructive. I really needed this input. Of all the great remarks offered, the comment "practicing the trumpet has value" was the thought that perked me up.

Thanks again everyone! Now to find some more challenging music and proceed to my next level as a trumpeter.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Am I losing Interest in Playing Trumpet? Reply with quote

HornnOOb wrote:

Play for fun, get out some music minus one stuff and record yourself, mix it up, get a gig. Try a totally different routine than what you would normally do.
It's easy to get "lost" in your playing if your not playing for a reason. Go hit some golf balls, go for a run, go fishing. Trying other tough pursuits like these can make trumpet playing more fun, especially if your good at it and not so good at them.
Don't be hard on yourself because your mind is wandering off the horn a little bit. It happens to just about everybody, especially us non-pros.
Play in church, play with your kids if you got 'em and they play, or with a parent or friend. Play because you love it and only when your loving it.
Have fun and relax.

regards,

tom
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a short video with a few tips from a cello teacher on how to stay motivated while learning to play an instrument:

Link

Piccolo Stomvi
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have one by a tired old fart playing trumpet instead?
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Do you have one by a tired old fart playing trumpet instead?

Piccolo Stomvi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: