• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hammond vs Schilke Symphony

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam1750

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Hammond vs Schilke Symphony Reply with quote

Hello, I have been playing in a Bach 1.25C, but I can not adapt to the shape of the contour rim (it is very sharp for me, I am looking for something more comfortable), a friend I recommend Hammond mouthpieces and I have decided to buy two of them , Recently read here in a thread that Karl also designed Schilke's Symphony line, what differences are there between a M150, M150d and a 3MV Hammon in when a sound, articulation, rim contour, dark or bright tone? Depth of cup etc? Anyone who has experiences with these three pieces will appreciate your comments.
KerryParker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havent had experience with those particular pieces per se, but I know Karl does nothing short of amazing work! I play on a 1CH mouthpiece that he made (a copy of the Mount Vernon 1C used by Bud Herseth) and I absolutely recommend it 100%. I spent a lot of time on a Bach 1 1/4 like you, and the switch to the Hammond was just night and day. Ive played on a Schilke Symphony Series blank mouthpiece with kind of a mixed bag of results...as far as I know the Symphony series is scans of Bach mouthpieces. But the 1CH is like the holy grail of trumpet mouthpieces and Karl makes it better than anyone
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having played a Bach 1C for many years, I am currently playing a Schilke Symphony M1*. While I find the sound and playability of the Schilke to be superior to the Bach 1C's I currently own, I find the rim on the Schilke to be less comfortable. The "bite" on the inside of the rim is sharper than any of the Bach's. To me, the sound and playability outweigh the comfort of the rim. Perhaps, even the improved playability is influenced by the sharper bite of the rim. I would suggest that you play test your Bach 1.25C against the Shilke and/or Hammond that is closest to the 1.25C to see what works best for you.
sam1750

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for your comments, they are very helpful, I have declined to buy two Hammond mouthpiece, the 3S and 3MV, come in a week, then tell them how they work.
sam1750

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I already have the two Hammond Mouthpieces with me, I must say I've been playing for a week and I love them, the 3MV is just what I was looking for, the description on the page is totally real, it gives a deep and dark But if I want to shout it also does it and very well, the 3S has a similar cup shape and a little shallower (I would compare it with a Bach 1.25D or Curry 70M) is not exactly the sound I was looking for to play lead and Latin music, however the sound volume is large and projected and very easy to go high, the kidney is much more comfortable than my Bach, I could describe it as semi flat and with a more pronounced bite (I think this has helped me improve my Articulation) Karl does an excellent job
JJMDestino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing HD for about 9 years or so. I have tried most major brands and I always come back to Hammond. Karl does fantastic work and is a great guy to boot. I have had some custom work done by him and have always been very happy with the results. Whoever he uses for his gold plating is top notch too. His gold pieces are the nicest gold plating I have ever played.
Karl can certainly make you something to play lead on if you aren't quite happy with the 3S.
nonchalant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the rims of the schilke symphony are the same as Hammond design, is this true? I play a Shilke Symphony M2X and really enjoy it, but would still be interested in HD.
trpttrpt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a Schilke symphony m1 for awhile. It was a nice mouthpiece, but the it really drove the pitch down and sat low in the sound. I prefer the hammond.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: