• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kanstul copies ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddie Jeffries

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Kanstul copies ? Reply with quote

I can understand how Kanstul and other companies can make a customer a copy of another company's mouthpiece.

But how can Kanstul legally make entire lines of copies of Wick, Warburton, etc that are even named after the other conpanies?
"Kanstul Wick"
"Kanstul Warburton"

Why haven't Wick, Warburton, etc sued Kanstul?

Or has Kanstul carefully worded the names of the lines to avoid copyright infringement?
Such as "Kanstul W" (wink-wink)

Just curious.

trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible that Kanstul pays Wick, Warburton, etc a portion for every mouthpiece they sell?
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet it has more to do with trademarks and patents, or lack there of.

For instance they make Monette copies, I doubt that Dave would agree to any deal for somebody makeing a pand selling a copy of his stuff.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no patents on mouthpieces. Only GR has something on the lower part of their mouthpieces that cannot be duplicated by anyone.
Perhaps Brian Scriver can shed more light on exactly what cannot be replicated on a GR piece.
Kanstul copies of Monette mouthpieces are nothing like the real ones.
R. Tomasek
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade mark problems would only happen if Kanstul made a copy of a Bach 3C top and stamped the Bach name on it. Trademarks are good "forever" as long as they are defended against unauthorized use. At one time Aspirin was a trademarked name. A musical instrument example would be the use of "Silvertone" by Sears and Roebuck contested by HN White King.

Kanstul, would not of course mass produce the Wedge rim or Asymmetric rim - those are recent patents usually good for 14 to 20 years if fees are paid. Kanstul is however free to make copies of any brand of mouthpiece that does not have a current patent.

The Neill Sanders rim was patented - but the patent is expired and now an approximate copy of it is used in the Hickman rim.

A mouthpiece or instrument maker could perhaps get a design patent, preventing competition from duplication some ornamentation like Marcinkiewicz's external mouthpiece design.

https://www.marcinkiewicz.com/img/patents/concert-hall-patent.jpg
Eddie Jeffries

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
Trade mark problems would only happen if Kanstul made a copy of a Bach 3C top and stamped the Bach name on it. Trademarks are good "forever" as long as they are defended against unauthorized use. At one time Aspirin was a trademarked name. A musical instrument example would be the use of "Silvertone" by Sears and Roebuck contested by HN White King.

Kanstul, would not of course mass produce the Wedge rim or Asymmetric rim - those are recent patents usually good for 14 to 20 years if fees are paid. Kanstul is however free to make copies of any brand of mouthpiece that does not have a current patent.

The Neill Sanders rim was patented - but the patent is expired and now an approximate copy of it is used in the Hickman rim.

A mouthpiece or instrument maker could perhaps get a design patent, preventing competition from duplication some ornamentation like Marcinkiewicz's external mouthpiece design.

I have read something that might be true.

You can copyright the contents of a book or a movie,
but you cannot copyright the title of a book or a movie.

So several different books and movies can all have the same title.

At least, that was the assertion that I once read.

GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are two issues here, or there would be under UK patent and trademark law.

1. 'prior art' - if it is heavily based on a previous design then it can't be easily patented. It would not be novel enough. I suspect that rules out any mouthpiece design being patentable.

2. Necessity of design - there was a case where Remington made a rotary shaver that looked and functioned like a Phillips. Phillips went to court, but lost as it was ruled that there was a necessity of design and that due to the shape of the face and the function required any rotary shaver would end up looking similar.

I do not know how US patent law compares to this.

I have done quite a lot of trade mark registration work here (using patent attorneys). We can't trade mark words, they have to have a graphical element. You also can't trademark generic words or phrases here. You can only trademark in specific categories, not in a blanket way. As soon as you apply for a trademark all these monitoring companies come out of the woodwork claiming infringement because they have a similar trademark in a different class. It gets very messy and very expensive. There is a lot of unused IP out there that companies keep as a money making sideline. For example, I was told one company would back down from a dispute for a fee of £100,000. It is the sort of thing that goes on.

I think these mouthpieces are what would be considered 'homages'. They can't be identical as they are not made with the same tooling. Like watch homages to things like the rolex submariner. Not fakes, but closely resembling and not claiming to be originals.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As soon as you apply for a trademark all these monitoring companies come out of the woodwork claiming infringement because they have a similar trademark in a different class. It gets very messy and very expensive. There is a lot of unused IP out there that companies keep as a money making sideline.

We call it trademark or patent "trolling" in the States. Deep pockets are needed to defend trademarks and patents. That's why Schilke sold his tunable bell patent to Yamaha.

Lots of things can be trademarked - soft drink bottle shapes, even colors when used for a specific product - soles of shoes - pop cans.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might help to clear up the terminology:

Trademark is used with a product, service or organization mark and logo within an industry classification. Trademark protection can be registered and renewed indefinitely as long as the owner continues to use the mark, files for renewal, and defends against infringement.

Copyright gives the creator of a piece of intellectual property (book, movie, song,...) exclusive rights to use and distribution. Copyright protection can be renewed in some countries but eventually expires after a period of time when the work goes into the public domain.

Patent is legal protection for an invention for a short period of time, such as 20 years. It gives the inventor a brief monopoly to recoup their initial expenses, which encourages invention and innovation.

So for trumpet mouthpieces, copyright protection is not available.

Trademark protection could be available for the name of a mouthpiece design, especially if it were registered and kept in force. (This is why Harmon mutes not made by the Harmon company are given generic names, like "wah wah" mutes. Others can make an identical mute, but they can't call it a Harmon mute.)

A patent might be granted for a unique new mouthpiece invention, and the patent would prevent competitors from making imitations, but the patent would expire after a while.
Piccolo Stomvi
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This all reminds me of something that happened in the past. After Claude Gordon passed away, Patty Gordon told me Zig Kanstul refused to share in the profits of the CG 3, CG Personal trumpet and CG Personal flugelhorn mouthpieces he was selling. When she complained about this, his response was, "Well, CG could stand for anything." Not one of his finer moments...
JazzFluegel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
Trade mark problems...

That is not a design patent, it is a full utility patent which has a 20-year term. I wrote & filed it with him, along with several design patents; and I'm finding it hard to comprehend it was almost 20 years ago. Trademark will last as long as the owner keeps renewing it with the appropriate authority; here that is the U.S.P.T.O. Let's not get into the whole business of having port of entry customs authorities confiscating infringements at the border. At least those were the laws when I retired 10 years ago & got into being a "Recovering Attorney Turned Jazzman."
NOW, Keith Allen Pintar
Marcinkiewicz Rembrandt Cornet
Kanstul 1525 FL
1962 Conn 9A Artist Coprion
1948 Conn NY Symphony 12B Coprion
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it is a full utility patent which has a 20-year term

Thanks for the information. I just assumed a patent on the shape would be easier than making a case for functionality.

So let's see, if I make one with a spiral groove the entire length of the mouthpiece, instead of seven concentric grooves ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: