• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Recording a CD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Recording a CD Reply with quote

Our swing band would like to make a CD and I'd appreciate tips from anyone who's made one.

How do we find the best recording studio? How much should we expect to pay?

What can we do to keep the costs down and still get a good product?

If we want to use it to get gigs (and we do!) what should we keep in mind as far as content?

Anything else?

Thanks!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Proteus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to give you some high-level advice:

- don't even think about going in before your playing is as perfect as it can be
- decide everything that requires a decision before you go in (ie. solos, tempos, order of tunes...everything
- know exactly which tunes you want to record
- decide beforehand who gets the producer job (quality control): one person from the group; the whole group; or whether you're going to hire an independent producer who's familiar with or knows your stuff
- most studios charge by the hour, so be as efficient as you would at a gig; alternatively, you may be able to negotiate a block of time...but time is still money
- decide beforehand whether you're going to multi-track or go with a live mix...and budget for enough time for overdubbing (solos) and mixing down (if multi-tracking)
- keep things moving and keep things 'creative' and 'up'
- if you get to a point where you're beating a dead horse on a particular tune, move on ("one more take, juuust one more...")
- discuss the entire project beforehand with the studio owner/manager and engineer to everyone's clear what you want as a take-away

Hope this helps.
Bach Strad 37 Bb (70s)
ACB Doubler flugel
Getzen Capri cornet
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also consider a venue other than a studio... for example, Harry James's "The King James Version" was recorded in a church with excellent acoustics by a firm that was well-known for excellent "remote" recordings.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to promote your band to get more gigs, I suggest you think about putting up a website and/or a Facebook page. For example, use your favorite search engine and look at what pops up for "chicago big band wedding."

Look at how these bands promote themselves on their websites. They're using web pages with photos and links to youtube videos and sound clips. They also have contact details to request info for bookings.

Then get your band's web page listed in band listing sites like gigmasters.com. Have business cards printed with a link to your website and Facebook page. Have your members hand out these cards instead of CDs.

Good luck!
Piccolo Stomvi
mdtrptguy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to what Proteus said:

- is the studio physically large enough to comfortably fit your band, with mic stands, etc? Take a tour of the studio to see it.
- does the studio have enough appropriate mics and headphones?
- does the studio have any experience with this style of music? If yes, mixing live to stereo might be ok. If not, multi-tracking and then mixing down later is better, even at a different studio with more experience.
- know your players. Most studios will sell 4 or 8 hour blocks at a discount. Don't book 8 hours if everybody's chops are gone after 3.
- know your players! Can they play consistently enough to do multiple takes that could be edited together with the best parts of each take? If there are balance changes, tonal differences, tempo differences between different takes, you won't be able to edit effectively.
- understand that additional time is needed for mixing, editing and mastering. Ask what those costs are up front.
- understand that recording a piece will take multitudes longer than you think it will. Checking mic levels on all instruments, setting a monitor mix, a player making a noise during a great take, listening to playbacks, all take time. 4 hours a song, including overdubbing solos, is not unreasonable. Then add mixing and editing time.
- be efficient, but keep the players relaxed, yet focused. Having a producer in the control room listening during each take can hear things that players won't.
- take in recordings that you want to emulate the sound of. This will give the engineer the best chance of getting the sound you want.

Be over prepared, relax, have fun, and take care of business!
LA Benge #3 Flgl
Conn 56B Bb/A
Schilke E3L Eb/D
Schilke G1L G/F
Schilke P5-4 Bb/A Picc
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys, all good!

We have a website at soundhoundsband.com that, I'm sure has gotten us a gig or two (although it may have disqualified us from some, too, because the guy I paid $300 to for recording services neglected to mike the brass. Duh!

We are really starting to pound the pavement in search of serious gigs. Not that playing for senior citizens isn't rewarding from a humanitarian standpoint but $100 split ten ways barely gets you in and out of Starbucks.

So we're thinking we need a mailable press kit with cool photos, clever copy, and a mini-disk with excerpts from some of our best tunes.

We're going for bars, restaurants, hotels, dance clubs, park districts, corporate events and the occasional second wedding. I say second because we don't do hip hop but we do play classic swing and jazz standards that people over 40 like to dance to.

Another sign that we're entering the professional zone: I'm looking for a good accounting service. I don't do numbers well and I definitely don't look good in orange.

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle

Last edited by jhatpro on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I you don't own the copyrights to the tunes, and you intend to sell the CD's or distribute them for promotional purposes, buy the appropriate compulsory mechanical licenses through the Harry Fox Agency. It's fairly cheap; I think it's currently USD 0.091 per copy per song.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever you do
don't spend thousands to make hundreds
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have.

I figure it's going to cost $5,000 minimum to get a professional press kit with a photos, art, mini-disk.

I plan to propose to the band that I front the cost with the understanding that I take 50% off the top of future gigs until I'm made whole.

I just don't see any other way to move from the hobby band to working band category.

I imagine this will meet with some resistance. Good ideas always do. Hey, this is America we're talking about here.

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Richard A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: How to Make a Band Work Reply with quote

Get a copy of "How to Make a Band Work" by Pete Wernick. Lots of good advice from a good fellow.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
I already have.

I figure it's going to cost $5,000 minimum to get a professional press kit with a photos, art, mini-disk.

I plan to propose to the band that I front the cost with the understanding that I take 50% off the top of future gigs until I'm made whole.

I just don't see any other way to move from the hobby band to working band category.

I imagine this will meet with some resistance. Good ideas always do. Hey, this is America we're talking about here.

You are a little further along than my group is. I would suggest the first step is to upgrade your current recording methods and then really listen to them. My group and I got the shock of our lives recently when we found out our bass player had been recording all of our rehearsals. Not a high quality recording. He was doing it to assist the rhythm section for their practices. Here is what we found out. Our balance was way off in terms of what instruments are heard. Trumpet was too loud. Bone parts are buried and sound almost missing. Bass and banjo are way too soft. And the big issue, intonation. Even our best players had issues with that. Our next rehearsal after much listening to the painful recordings resulted in marked improvement in all areas. I'm going to work on bringing in a monitoring system so that we can listen to what it sounds like to others when we are playing. It might cost but the results will be worth it.

Listening to your recordings on your website, I was struck with similarities between our bands, both good and bad. Please listen to them. That would be the first upgrade I would suggest before all the other issues you are talking about. A first rate website and prominent presence on Youtube goes much further that handing out CD's. I will not put out recordings until we are perfect.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good point, Richard. I just got very similar advice from my tenor and keyboard players. Both want us to perfect the product before we make a CD.

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Honkie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good recording engineer can make a professional-sounding recording in a location that is not a recording studio...as long as the space has decent acoustics. There are certain engineers who especially enjoy this type of recording, and might be happy to work within your budget. If you're lucky, perhaps you could make contact with someone like this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: