• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Christian trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
O-Dawgg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for the name of a guy I saw on gospel music tv. He played part of a song on a garden hose trumpet. Anybody know?

Thanks,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Driscoll is my guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
O-Dawgg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Matt I know its not Driscoll This guy seemed kind of young and had dark hair. He also played 2 trumpets at once with "Y connector" mouthpiece. I mean 1 cup with 2 shafts. I can't find him anywhere online. Thanks for the guess though,
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I couldn't help! Sounds like an interesting guy though. I'd like to hear about him if you ever figure out who it was.
jazzsolotrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-01-09 20:07, O-Dawgg wrote:
I'm looking for the name of a guy I saw on gospel music tv. He played part of a song on a garden hose trumpet. Anybody know?

Thanks,

Garden hose trumpet? Please explain.

Best regards.

-Matt
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your physical description of him sounds a little like Chez Rider (or something like that). I have never seem him play with a garden hose or splitter mouthpiece though.
O-Dawgg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzsolotrumpet,

What I mean is he took about 13 feet of hose and a plastic funnel, inserted the funnel into one end of the hose, his trumpet mouthpiece into the other, and played. Just played. It sounded pretty good too.
brishook1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are indeed referring to Chiz Rider. I have seen him on three occasions and every time he has used the garden hose and Y mouthpiece connector. He has several CD's and tours mainly in the Midwest and on the east coast at churches and schools. He's a wonderful person and musician, and I had the pleasure of having him and his crew stay at my house on two occasions. Check out his website at chizrider.org

Brian
O-Dawgg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey man, thanks alot.
_ConnMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh Chiz, he's from State Colleg, PA ... you know .... the "Happy Valley" - Penn State - Blue and White ..... Alright you get the idea. Chiz is a good player, he's a solo act. He plays primarily all over the east coast takinghis wife and kids along - great family!

Here's a funnie story for ya. I didn't see this one first hand, but got it from a reliable source though. He was playing a church one Sunday mornig for the main service. they asked him if he'd play for the Sunday School hour for the kids. So he agreed to play for them. One of the church folks asked him if he'd play the 'ol garden hose routine. He agreed to it, but he told the guy that he didn't bring his graden hose along. The guy said we'll get one of deacons to get one from there storage area. So, the deacon came back sometime later with this hose, but I guess Chiz already started into his mini program he was doing for the kids. Chiz saw the guy come with the hose and motioned for the guy to bring it up front. So, the guy brought the hose up front and gave it to Chiz. Chiz proceed to ask for a volunteer and pick this cute little girl out of the crowd. She was all dressed in her Sunday's finest that day. Chiz told her to hold the end of the hose and listen real close. Well, the little girl got down real close to the end of the hose and Chiz let 'er rip. Well, it wasn't a pretty site. Apparently, the deacon got the hose from outside that was laying around all winter with ..... you guessed it ... stagnant water from last summer. Chiz managed to splatter it all over the the little girls nice dress. I'm not sure whatever happened to when the girls mother found out. It must have been ok, Chiz is still playing!

Kanstul 1600 "WB" w/ Kanstul two-piece B3C & S72 BB
Connstellation 38B
Kanstul 925 Flugelhorn (copper bell) w/ Kanstul two-piece BFL3C w/ 119S BB
Jupiter 416BL Pocket Trpt.
www.measureofgrace.com
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent Chiz an E mail and asked him a few questions.
I was surprised how quickly he responded in kind:

What a busy young man...workin' in the field of souls. Check out his music links:

http://chizrider.org/home.htm

[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2004-01-15 09:37 ]

[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2004-01-15 09:39 ]
Namaste

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was probably Phil Driscoll and the instrument you refer to is a sofar. Phil has a web site.
HorneyMikey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shofar

[ This Message was edited by: HorneyMikey on 2004-01-30 09:12 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: