• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Injury to lip from bike accident

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dweb786

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Injury to lip from bike accident Reply with quote

I posted about this already in the fundamentals section but I wanted to see if anybody here had any other suggestions.
A few weeks ago I got into a bike accident and busted up my lower lip pretty badly and broke a few teeth. I got stitches in my lower lip and had to have two front teeth removed, which are now replaced by a retainer. The external lip damage has healed, however there is still a lump in the middle of my lower lip that impedes my trumpet playing. I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions for things I could do to help my lip heal so I can get back into trumpet playing, or if anybody has any experience with effective methods of rebuilding strength after an injury like this. Thanks.
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe give Bud Herseth a call?
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starkadder wrote:

.....umm...
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starkadder wrote:

I'll go out on a limb and say he practiced sensibly.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you have Herseth on the line, ask for Mendez's dad too.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Injury to lip from bike accident Reply with quote

dweb786 wrote:
I posted about this already in the fundamentals section but I wanted to see if anybody here had any other suggestions.
A few weeks ago I got into a bike accident and busted up my lower lip pretty badly and broke a few teeth. I got stitches in my lower lip and had to have two front teeth removed, which are now replaced by a retainer. The external lip damage has healed, however there is still a lump in the middle of my lower lip that impedes my trumpet playing. I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions for things I could do to help my lip heal so I can get back into trumpet playing, or if anybody has any experience with effective methods of rebuilding strength after an injury like this. Thanks.

I'm sure sorry this happened to you! When I was about 14 I did something very similar. I was into bike racing at the time and was riding across town one night to my cousin's house and making use of the trip by sprinting the bike as fast as I could ride. It's embarrassing to admit but I got mesmerized by the fork-mounted generator light and I manage to ride at full speed into the back of a parked Ford Mustang. If I hadn't had braces at the time I would have lost my front teeth. As it was, I instantly went from having an overbite to having a severe underbite - I think the accident took about a year off the total time I would have otherwise had to wear those braces! I also bit through my tongue in two places necessitating stitches and cut my lips up pretty badly (but no stitches needed in them). I looked like a baboon for about a month. I don't think I was able to play for at least a month afterward. But then I eventually went on to become a pro, so don't worry, I'm sure you'll recover.

Concerning the lump in your lower lip, you should consult a wound care doctor regarding learning how to properly massage the spot to reduce the scarring. There are also medical scar ointments to be used during this type of massage, but I'm not sure if they can be used inside the lips or mouth. But find out from a doctor about this.

And did you really return to playing just a few weeks after this incident? I think that is a bit too soon. Work on getting rid of the lump (assuming it is caused by scar tissue). It also could be lingering inflammation from the wound, and this is another reason to hold off on playing. You do not want any inflammation to become chronic as it is then much harder to eliminate. A two week run of anti-inflammatory medicine such as Ibuprofen combined with proper scar massage therapy might be your solution to the problem.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseLindE4 wrote:
While you have Herseth on the line, ask for Mendez's dad too.
And Al Hirt, and Louis Maggio...

If you do get through you probably won't be able to post it here due to the R/P ban on TH

I've been fortunate to not have to deal with any real lip or teeth issues. I guess my primary concern would be the dental work, the lip and resulting scar tissue will eventually regenerate, but teeth and a completely different issue. Best wishes to you- there but for the grace of G... (OOPS.)
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an article in Down Beat I read years ago, with a story about some drunk guy smashing Maynard's horn in his face causing all sorts of injuries.

MF said he had dental work (I've heard stories the work was for vanity more than the injury) and he said he had a terrible gash on his lips. But said, you heal, you adapt, and move on. Nothing is permanent and you can always adjust to an injury.

**The article went on with Maynard saying how he is a non violent cat, but he beat the hell out of that guy.
Athos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lip injuries are tricky and scary for those of us who care about our trumpet playing. I hope you are able to recover quickly and fully.

Years ago, I had a sleep-deprived encounter with the corner of a pane of glass that left a hematoma in my lower lip. The hematoma turned to scar tissue, and caused a double articulation on some notes. Thirty days' rest did nothing for it.

I saw a facial plastic surgeon who, after examining my lip, gave me a steroid injection into it. It was swollen with the medicine for a day or two, but afterward, the scarring disappeared, and I was able to play normally.

I suggest you see an appropriate doctor. They may be able to help with it.

Best of luck!

Mike
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the picture at the bottom of this page: http://www.perfectpracticesolutions.net/About-Us.html

That's Don Eagle of the NC Symphony after he got hit in the face with a brick. Perhaps reach out to him and I'm sure he could give you some advice.
theRiddler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Williams, played with San Francisco Symphony, the Berner Symphonieorchester, the Orquesta Ciutat de Barcelona, the Milwaukee Symphony, and the Santa Fe Opera Orchestra, others.... had a mountain bike wreck in Switzerland (I think it was) and bit through his lower lip. He took time off but was able to come back... maybe he can offer you some advice
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to start the video at the point that is pertinent to your issue. (Take a look at 5:14 in on this video)

Bottom line I had a plastic surgeon remove the ball of scar tissue in my upper lip. Yes I massaged it but it was not going away and as a player I did not have several years to wait. It was small to be sure but it was a huge problem for me in the upper register.

Link

Best,

Jon

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rufflicks wrote:
I tried to start the video at the point that is pertinent to your issue. (Take a look at 5:14 in on this video)

Bottom line I had a plastic surgeon remove the ball of scar tissue in my upper lip. Yes I massaged it but it was not going away and as a player I did not have several years to wait. It was small to be sure but it was a huge problem for me in the upper register.

Link

Best,

Jon

Jon,

I'm glad your story ended with a happy ending. That cut looked nasty, and you're fortunate and blessed to have overcome that obstacle

Thanks for sharing
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am blessed in ways far greater than that, Thank you for your kind thoughts.
Best,

Jon

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: