• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flugelhorn Advice

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of folks like the Kanstul 925 Custom Classic. I just happen to have one listed for sale in the Marketplace.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: flugelhorn advice Reply with quote

I recently purchased a lacquered Adams F5 with a Gold Brass bell. I play flugel ALOT and this has a sound VERY close to the Cousenon that I owned in the late '60's - early '70's. IMO it is probably the best horn I have ever played...period!!! Build quality is beautiful...intonation is spot on...it's scale is even from bottom to top...upper register is VERY nice...and the "short-stroke valve system" makes more technical lines MUCH easier to move through. To say that I am pleased with this horn would be an understatement!!!

Butch
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Butch, I played an A5 last week. What a sweet horn! Congrats. It's like a Counseon on steroids. Killer sound and blow. Intonation is great, and those valves!!!

Enjoy it buddy!
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: flugelhorn advice Reply with quote

Quote:
Yo Butch, I played an A5 last week. What a sweet horn! Congrats. It's like a Counseon on steroids. Killer sound and blow. Intonation is great, and those valves!!!

trumpet.sanity...thank you...I am enjoying it immensely!!! Did you play the A5 trumpet or the F5 flugel??? I hear their trumpets are nice too as I'm VERY interested in their A6 which is their version of the old Conn Connstellation. I own Kanstul's version which I absolutely love!!!!

Butch
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I meant the F5, I played the F1 as well. But the sound on the F5 is to die for!! I love the resistance, you can really back off and get such a fluffy whisper.

I played a A5 trumpet as well. I'd love to play one with a smaller bell and tighter throat.

But the flugs?? Super dreamy 😍
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the disposable cash flow for new horns right now, maybe in the future. But I sure like those Adams horns more and more. And I keep seeing more and more cats playing on them.

Someday I'd love to own one. I'd get as little bling as possible though. No fancy finishes, or ornamental finger buttons, or extra heavy additions.
nichdelgado97

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't go wrong with an Adams flugel or the Kanstul 1525
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There a good number of nice flugels out there, but the one I would not hesitate to buy again (been playing it for 5 years or so) is the Yamaha YFH-8315G.
Yamaha 8315G flugel/ Reeves 42F
Paul in GA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Early 70's Getzen Reply with quote

I have an early 70s Getzen 3 valve in lacquer. Really great horn. Comparable to Cuesnon from the same period. If you can find one, grab it.
BSTRUMPET85

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Flugelhorn Advice Reply with quote

gtrmptman1 wrote:
Looking to purchase a new flugelhorn. I was wondering if I can get some input from the masses to see what people like. I play on a Stomvi VRII trumpet which I love so I was considering the Stomvi Titan. I would also like to check out the Adams Flugels and Courtois but I will like to hear thoughts from people that have tried many different horns.

Thanks

Check out Van Laar, really amazing horns!

https://youtu.be/VObqbaq_OP8
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Kanstul CCF 925 in lacquer with the copper bell - that horn was chosen after a fair amount of play testing of various horns in various locations around the Baltimore/DC/Southern PA area. I chose it because I just liked how it played and it had a sweet silkiness to its sound.

I sold that horn because at the time I wanted money for another project I was trying to fund, and I wasn't gigging with it. I've kicked myself about that ever since - I should have never sold it because I certainly can't buy another one for what anything close to what I paid for that one.

I'm currently on an ACB Doubler. It's not the horn that the Kanstul 925 was, but it gets the job done, and it was easy on the wallet.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
scunningham16

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my ACB doublers. I upgraded the valve springs with Yamaha springs . It sounds amazing and feels great
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scunningham16 wrote:
I love my ACB doublers. I upgraded the valve springs with Yamaha springs . It sounds amazing and feels great

I did the same thing, and I also swapped out the leadpipe insert for a genuine Yamaha insert, which seems to have improved it too. The stock springs on the ACB Doubler are pretty stiff, so the Yamaha springs gave the valves a whole different feel.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Phat Boy looks good but for me this one looks even better!

https://www.facebook.com/Weimannbrass/photos/a.377482659090487.1073741840.159830807522341/377483405757079/?type=3&theater
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
scunningham16 wrote:

I did the same thing, and I also swapped out the leadpipe insert for a genuine Yamaha insert, which seems to have improved it too. The stock springs on the ACB Doubler are pretty stiff, so the Yamaha springs gave the valves a whole different feel.

FYI all the new Doubler horns come with upgraded springs and a revamped leadpipe. We're working on some new tweaks as well in the construction of the valveblock to hopefully improve the quality of these as well. I'm hopefully flying out in a few months to work at the factory as well!

Best,
T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
lewins

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my first flugelhorn a few years ago at an ITG conference. It gave me the opportunity to try out just about every brand and model on the market. I liked the Bobby Shew Yamaha a lot, but for me it was between the Van Laar and the Stomvi Titan, and I wound up choosing the Stomvi.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrentAustin wrote:
FYI all the new Doubler horns come with upgraded springs and a revamped leadpipe. We're working on some new tweaks as well in the construction of the valveblock to hopefully improve the quality of these as well. I'm hopefully flying out in a few months to work at the factory as well!

Best,
T

Sweet! I think that the Doubler is a fantastic value for anyone who might find an occasional use for flugel - it plays well, sounds really nice, and the price makes it an easy purchase for someone who might not otherwise have the budget for something in a much higher price bracket.
- ACB Doubler

Gartex1960

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Flugelhorn Advice Reply with quote

Taylor horns are great!!!
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get ahold of Joe Pino he is in NY he has a Titan. I have no doubt he would let you give the Titan a once around. Joe is a sweet guy look him up.

Best, Jon

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Adams F2 and a Kanstul 1525. The Adams has a red brass bell with a nickel silver flair. The Kanstul has a copper bell.

Due to the copper bell the Kanstul sounds a little more mellow than the Adams. Due to the nickel silver flair the Adams has a little more edge/projection than the Kanstul. That being said, both horns are great horns which sound like flugelhorns. The Kanstul isn't "trombonish" and the Adams isn't "trumpety."

The short throw valves on the Adams are awesome.

I tried an Adams F1 at J. Landress Brass, also with a red brass bell and nickel silver flair and it, too, is a great horn. The F1 is extremely lightweight, a lot lighter than the Kanstul 1525. The F2 feels a little heavier than the Kanstul 1525. These are all excellent horns. You really wouldn't go wrong with any of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: