• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Fanfare type piece to introduce instruments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Fanfare type piece to introduce instruments Reply with quote

For our children's concert this year the conductor decided to take my idea of actually playing the instruments individually rather than just holding them up for the kids to see.

What I thought would be good would be a short brass AND PERCUSSION (which leaves out our usual La Peri) and do some layering where he can have just trombones and tuba play their part, then add horns, then trumpets, then percussion. This wouldn't be the entire piece played each time, but just one section, then we would all play the piece together.

It's a standard orchestral brass section, but a good idea not to go too far down the sections with difficult parts.

Since this is just the brass (and perc) demo it can't be too long. La Peri is a perfect length if only it had percussion

Any suggestions?
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Lucas DSO trumpet composes terrific Fanfares
DeltaBravo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly what you're asking for, but it might come in handy ...

Last century (!!) I was a member of a brass quintet which played for children on many occasions. Here's a short natural overtone demo piece from those days. It uses two trumpets – one in C and one in B flat.

Please pm me if you'd like the score. (No charge.)

Here's a synth demo – apologies in advance!
https://youtu.be/V0md_B7PYhg
theRiddler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overture to Orfeo by Monteverdi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TROsH4jwomg

http://ks.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/5/5a/IMSLP13331-Orfeo.pdf
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeltaBravo wrote:
Not exactly what you're asking for, but it might come in handy ...
Here's a synth demo – apologies in advance!
https://youtu.be/V0md_B7PYhg
That's a great piece!! Not quite fit for what we need, but I really like it!
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't thought of the Monteverdi (by the way, i have that DVD and like the entire performance.)

The concert was last week, but I'm going to start to see if I can find something that'll work better for next year.

First, it doesn't really have to be a fanfare. I guess I just mentioned fanfare because we always do La Peri. I really just has to be a piece for brass about that long.

With La Peri, when we did an excerpt for lower brass, they played the beginning. We played the same part in the same rhythm

However, in the string example (Grieg if I remember right) the First violins demonstrated the melody. Then the cello/basses had this descending line that they demonstrated. But then the conductor how the cello/bass part was missing something and combined those two parts. The hope was that the kids could still hear the violins separate from the cello/basses -- not something that would be easy with La Peri when low brass and trumpets were essentially playing the same thing. Then the violas and 2nds came in with yet a different part. And all three lines were combined. I'd guess this was 16 bars or so, then they played the entire piece.

So that got me to thinking that we'd need a piece where there might be that same difference in lines so that the low brass, trumpets, and horns could all be playing something different, with examples first then combined and play the entire piece.

The intrada from Orfeo does exactly this but is a little too short.

I supposed it could also be something I could arrange for brass if necessary.

Suggestions?
DeltaBravo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe an excerpt from a well-known (or not so well-known) march would work.

One that springs to mind is the trio section of Sousa's Semper Fidelis. It's constructed in layers anyway, and each layer has a distinctive rhythm. Just begin with the least-recognisable bits, gradually add more, then finally sit the trumpet tune on top. Magic!

… and then perform the whole piece, with the kids encouraged to listen for the section they've just heard? Is there an orchestral version around? (In the right key? Hehehehe.)
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeltaBravo wrote:
Maybe an excerpt from a well-known (or not so well-known) march would work. ....

That's a good idea. We usually end with Stars and Stripes with the little kids conducting. We could easily add something like that earlier for the brass.
DeltaBravo wrote:
Is there an orchestral version around? (In the right key? Hehehehe.)

Speaking of "right key" the orchestral version of Stars and Stripes is D major. This year I pulled out my 1925 Conn Bb/A trumpet and when you use the A side, it's back to the "normal" key of playing in F major!! And that old horn plays great!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: