• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sshh Whisper vs Wick cup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.M

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Sshh Whisper vs Wick cup Reply with quote

Do you have any experience with Sshh Whisper vs Wick cup? At the moment when I don’t want to disturb my neighbors I use Wick cup mute closed all the way in. Is Whisper mute noticeably quitter, how is back pressure between this two?
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think the Whisper mute is a bit quieter. And a worthy practice mute. But still a pracitce mute, I would use only when it's a must, any long term practicing with a mute that dampens so much has got to have some affect upon your "normal" playing.

I still prefer a cup mute when I need to use a practice mute and can get away with it. Have you tried stuffing the cup with tissue or cotton balls?
Jo-Ral Tri-Tone cup comes with 2 felt rings, I use them all the time with a DW & Stonelined cups - just easier to manage then a bunch of tissue.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Mr.M

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried your stuffing tip. I filled space around the cup with piece of fabric. It cuts high frequencies a bit but it's still too loud to use it in my apartment late night. I think I'll try a practice mute. I'm not afraid to mess my plaing with it as I don't plan to use it a lot ... 1-2h per week. I've read some reviews and it seems sshh and wallace are best available.
I wonder if anyone tried both of them and can compare their backup pressure and loudness.
Thanks!
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try playing with the open horn into a 5 gallon bucket stuffed with clothes, and all this maybe in a closet or small space. you should be able to work out something that makes very little sound. if you have a tv going in another room it should be enough to neutralize the sound.
the stuff you can go out and buy is cool, and you should have plenty of that kind of thing, but it isn't all that's possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: