• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Taking Days Off??

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arjuna
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking Days Off?? Reply with quote

Do nothing related to trumpet or music 1-2 days per week.
Have fun and enjoy life.

TrumpetProbs wrote:
I've heard players talking about taking a day off here and there, and even my director tells me to take a day off every now and then. What I don't understand is actually taking a day off. What do you do? Is taking a day off just taking it extremely easy, or does is mean not playing at all? If I take a day off and I don't play at all should I just use my P.E.T.E. or just let my chops rest for the entire day? Won't not playing for a day messing with my playing for the next day?
thesmack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:20 pm    Post subject: Day off? Reply with quote

I take the first week of Christmas break off every year. This year, I am off the horn, but working the CTS.
Twitter: @tunedinacademy|
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I lost my wife to cancer I started playing the trumpet again after a 50 year hiatus. The Trumpet and music saved me from the misery of depression. Music is pretty much all I have, so I have no reasons to take time off. But there is always something, like eye appointments, visits from my sons or my brother, etc, that force me to take time of and that is ok.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
NordicNorm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I had 5 performances in the space of 6 days (two on the same day), which is a lot for me.

The day after the last concert, my lips were swollen and sore, so I took the day off from playing. And then the next day as well.

When I went to back to practicing on the third day, I was done after 45 minutes.

One week later, I'm back up to my usual 4 hours of practicing (15 min on, 15 min off spread out over two sessions).

The best advice I was ever given was: "Listen to your body."
Cornet: ‘84 Bach Strad 184 Shepherd’s Crook
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
After I lost my wife to cancer I started playing the trumpet again after a 50 year hiatus. The Trumpet and music saved me from the misery of depression. Music is pretty much all I have, so I have no reasons to take time off. But there is always something, like eye appointments, visits from my sons or my brother, etc, that force me to take time of and that is ok.

George

Bless you
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
GeorgeB wrote:

George

Bless you

Yes, there is something about playing trumpet that can be very therapeutic to players who suffer depression from any cause. It's something about becoming one with the music and getting your mind free to focus just on that. I find that when I'm playing I'm detached from everything else which, for me, is a very good thing psychologically.

So, George, more power to you. Keep playing. Maynard used to call the trumpet "God's Instrument." There's some truth to that. There's nothing like it.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking Days Off?? Reply with quote

JoseLindE4 wrote:
TrumpetProbs wrote:
What do you do?

Go to the beach.
Go the park.
Visit with your family.
Play a game.
Read a book.
Take a walk.
Go to a concert.
Make a new friend.
Clean your house.

Days off are more about your head than your face.

This!

Just remember the quality of your practice trumps the quantity. From Wynton's book "Moving to higher ground" (iirc) "I can do more in 20 mins than most players can do in 2 hours". So apply this to your approach, work smart, diligently, focussed and take a day off when you need to. If that is once a week or once a month, whatever it is, do it and don't feel bad about it. There's more to life than this hunk of brass. Besides the break can be beneficial too - mentally and physically.

When I take time off (prob if I take longer than 1 day off) I do this exercise as taught to me my Chris LaBarbera. It is a Reinhardt thing, not for everyone (lip/free buzzing is very polarising - though everything is polarising on this form these days - so YMMV). I don't do this on playing days, personally - some Reinhardt guys do.

Link

Best,
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:

Yes, there is something about playing trumpet that can be very therapeutic to players who suffer depression from any cause. It's something about becoming one with the music and getting your mind free to focus just on that. I find that when I'm playing I'm detached from everything else which, for me, is a very good thing psychologically.

I’m afraid playing the trumpet could be the cause of depressions of trumpet players.
ebolton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing, I'm off work from yesterday to the beginning of the year, so now I can devote a couple of hours or more to practice. Usually I can manage a half to one hour. Just from yesterday, I can see the improvement.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Billy B and HERMOKIWI.

Bless you and merry Christmas,
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: