• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Vibrato vs. Trill!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freshdax

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Vibrato vs. Trill! Reply with quote

Hey guys!

please have a listen to the following (terrific) excerpt from a John Wilson Proms concert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT5hMTnpZbY&feature=youtu.be&t=4m8s

Just wondering, are the trumpet(s) playing vibrato, or would you go by describing it as a trill? I first thought it's clearly a vibrato, but after all it could also be a trill....not sure about the interval wideness.

...just in general, how to draw the line between vibrato and trill??! I mean it's really not that easy to differentiate from each other....

Also, would you agree that trills on trumpets are mostly used in classical concertos (like a trumpet concerto) and are rather rare for full sections? The only trumpet trill (which really is a trill!) which would come to my mind would be the ending of Gershwin's Piano Concerto.

Looking forward for your insights!
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vibrato
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd call that vibrato, not a lip trill (and definitely not a fingered trill).

Maybe it would help to imagine how a violin is played, because we can see what the violinist is doing. For vibrato, they wiggle the forearm and hand back and forth, which makes the finger rock back and forth while holding the one note. For a trill, they hold a lower note with one finger on the fingerboard while they hammer another finger on and off the string on a higher neighbor note.

It's similar with trumpet: with vibrato, we hold one note with the embouchure while either using hand vibrato or lip/jaw vibrato to rock the pitch slightly down and back up again repeatedly while holding the same pitch setting with the embouchure. With a lip trill, we flex the embouchure and raise and lower the tongue to break up to a higher pitch and back down again repeatedly while holding the same fingering. For a fingered trill, we play the neighbor note on the valves.

Fingered trills are common in baroque music on trumpet. Lip trills (a.k.a., "shakes") are common in big band (swing) music on trumpet.
Piccolo Stomvi
ATrumpetBrony
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
Vibrato

+1

It's not what you play...
It's HOW you play
freshdax

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
I'd call that vibrato, not a lip trill (and definitely not a fingered trill).

Maybe it would help to imagine how a violin is played, because we can see what the violinist is doing. For vibrato, they wiggle the forearm and hand back and forth, which makes the finger rock back and forth while holding the one note. For a trill, they hold a lower note with one finger on the fingerboard while they hammer another finger on and off the string on a higher neighbor note.

It's similar with trumpet: with vibrato, we hold one note with the embouchure while either using hand vibrato or lip/jaw vibrato to rock the pitch slightly down and back up again repeatedly while holding the same pitch setting with the embouchure. With a lip trill, we flex the embouchure and raise and lower the tongue to break up to a higher pitch and back down again repeatedly while holding the same fingering. For a fingered trill, we play the neighbor note on the valves.

Fingered trills are common in baroque music on trumpet. Lip trills (a.k.a., "shakes") are common in big band (swing) music on trumpet.

Thank you, that helped a lot!
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised Seth MacFarlane did not break out into Peter Griffin or any of the other dozen voices he does on Family Guy.
R Tomasek,
ATrumpetBrony
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
I'm surprised Seth MacFarlane did not break out into Peter Griffin or any of the other dozen voices he does on Family Guy.
R Tomasek,

I was hoping he would! That was really a fantastic performance, I would've loved to see it live.

It's not what you play...
It's HOW you play
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from screaming sopranos I don't hear any trills or vibrato.

Kent
freshdax

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering is a lip trill also used on usual trills with an interval of a minor or major second?

Guess this is a lip trill as well??
https://youtu.be/bGHY4M2UDMg?t=31m42s

Is it true that conventional (fingered) trills in later 20th century classical music and film scoring are rather a rare thing?

oxleyk wrote:
Aside from screaming sopranos I don't hear any trills or vibrato.

Kent

lol, you should clean your ears But true the sopranos just overshatter them all.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freshdax wrote:
Is it true that conventional (fingered) trills in later 20th century classical music and film scoring are rather a rare thing?

No. Trills are very common in contemporary symphonic music.
freshdax

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you post an example?
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freshdax wrote:
Just wondering is a lip trill also used on usual trills with an interval of a minor or major second?

With lip trills, the trumpeter plays the higher neighbor that's available given the fingering. So if it's a lip trill on a G at the top of the staff and the trumpeter plays it open, the higher neighbor is Bb and the lip trill interval would be a minor 3rd. If the trumpeter uses an alternate fingering on the same G, like valves 1 and 3, then the higher neighbor is A and the lip trill interval would be a major second.
freshdax wrote:
Guess this is a lip trill as well??
https://youtu.be/bGHY4M2UDMg?t=31m42s

I'm not sure. The New York Philharmonic puts select pages from their library online, including this piece. The part is for Bb trumpet, and it's marked as a trill on a G at the top of the staff, with an A in parenthesis to indicate that the upper neighbor is the A. This is a very difficult trill to play with conventional fingering, but the recording doesn't sound like a lip trill either. It's so fast and angular, it sounds like it might be a fingered trill, maybe with alternate fingerings. But I'm not sure.
Piccolo Stomvi
MikeyZ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Vibrato or Trill. Reply with quote

This is Vibrato for sure. A Lip Trill is more like whistling using the back of your tongue.
My Gear: 1984 Yamaha Trumpet YTR6340ST #001152 with a curry 5Z.mpc.and 1921 C.G.Conn Wonder Vocal Cornet C/Bb/A (Williams Winnipeg Engraved on bell) with 14B4 mpc.
Anthony Barrington

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: RE: Vibrato or Trill Reply with quote

That is vibrato and quite an exciting one at that!

Bach 1C
Denis Wick 4
audreyl138

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it is vibrato. Also, trills are not uncommon for section playing, especially in baroque music. I believe Strauss and Mahler have written some things where the section trills together..for example, Mahler Symphony No. 1 Mvmt II (scherzo).
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the 2 clips:
-The Proms ending is vibrato
-The Bernstein ending is a lip trill (most likely, some players can do that kind of effect using fingerings)
GRVTrumpet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vibrato for the Proms
Lip Trill for Bernstein
Eb/D: Schilke E3L
TanaTrumpeter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpets are Vibrato. Sounds exceptional too
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: