• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Shulmann System

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaoloOneArm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Shulmann System Reply with quote

Hi horns players!
Paolo, 48years old from Italy.
Because of a terrible accident in 2007 my left arm is completely disabled. I was a guitar player, a very nice level (but aways for hobby). A couple of years after the accident I decided to start playing an instrument... with one hand only (music is important for me). The trumpet was and is maybe the only one instrument to be playable wiith one hand only.
So: here I am

My question: is someone of you selling a Shulmann System? I tested the Ergobrass and other system, but I really don't like such solutions.

Thanx a lot
Paolo

Last edited by PaoloOneArm on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total
bear30101

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: shulmann Reply with quote

Welcome to the Light Side!
Please try the Marketplace and good luck.
JMWTpt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Shulmann System Reply with quote

I do not have a device to sell. You may consider playing and holding the trumpet with one hand. James F. Burke, a wonderful cornetist and trumpeter who was active in the middle of the last century, did exactly that. Mr. Burke had a birth defect that affected development of one arm. I saw him play once and do not recall how he held the instrument, but I do remember his horn (a Buescher 400 cornet) was modified with levers so one hand could move the slides and drain the water.

Last December I had my left shoulder replaced (ball and socket). I am right handed. Determined not to have my practice routine disrupted, I played trumpet holding and fingering the horn with my right hand. For me, the best position was to tilt the horn slightly towards the right, and rest it partially on the palm of my right hand. I used my left hand to move the third valve slide while avoiding any load on the left hand. It worked until I got the OK 6 weeks after surgery to support the horn with my left hand.

Good luck,

John
djpearlman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ergobrass.com/trumpet/ You might check this out.

- Monette Cornette
- Andalusia Cornet
- Carolbrass Pocket Trumpet
- Monette mouthpieces

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5NafoVeXrsRm-fOhKaIpnA
jvand678
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sent you a pm.

Daniel, check his last paragraph. He tried the ergobrass and wasn't a fan.
PaoloOneArm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx a lot guys!

I wanna tell you that I do play with one arm (right arm/hand).
It is sice about 2009 (2 years after the accident), that I play with my right hand only. My trumpet is a Bach72*. I love it, even if the 1072grams are the max weight I can manage. I replaced the pinky and thumb hooks with rings: i cn firmly hold the trumpet.

I than purchased a used Benge 2X MLP+: lighter, clearer and more free-blowing trumpet. I was axcited, but a few months later I realized that the second pump is bell-front, and not mouthpice-front (let's say).
The plam of the my right hand is supported to the second pump that has to be 'mouthpiece-fron', as mostly trumpets have (Bach, Yamaha, Schilke....) but not as Benge (very unforynately: Benge is easily to play!!!!) .

Result: I have to sell my Benge.
I wanna find a trumpet lighter than my beloved Bach72* (I'm looking at Schilke)

Paolo
djpearlman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvand678 wrote:

Daniel, check his last paragraph. He tried the ergobrass and wasn't a fan.
Oops, my bad...

- Monette Cornette
- Andalusia Cornet
- Carolbrass Pocket Trumpet
- Monette mouthpieces

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5NafoVeXrsRm-fOhKaIpnA
PaoloOneArm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel
sorry for my words about Ergobrass.
I'm not a 'classical player'; so my posture is not a classical one. I use to 'move my body' without thinking in what I'm doing. So, I wanna feel free.... and I'd like to have my left arm moving again (as when I was a virtuoso guitar player)

Tha't why mybe the shulmann system could be better....
p.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you might try some sort of wrist brace to help you hold the trumpet. Personally, I cannot see how just hanging a horn out there will help you much more than playing with one hand- it must be able to move along with the contour of your embouchure, low to high. i will often play one-handed, especially if I feel I am pressing too tightly against my face. I started doing this after watching Joe Burgstaller do his Bubber Miley plunger impersonation (that may be an insult to Joe) but I found I could play quite easily and high only holding the instrument in my right hand.

I also play with what I consider to be an incredible individual during summers who has an eye problem and must hold the music in his left hand about 6 inches from his face to read. If you didn't see it/hear it, you'd never believe it. Maybe some weight lifting or something on your right side. In reality, unless one is mashing the trumpet into his/her/its chops, it shouldn't matter much, 2 or 1 handed so long as one can handle the weight. Good luck!
PaoloOneArm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Craig.
I do play trumpet. But I'd like to find a device/solution as Shulmann is in order to help me in playing better, without always holing and playing with one hand.

Most of you, I really hope ALL of you, started playing trumpet with two hands! And obviously you are also able to play with one hand for a while, or maybe when you use a plunger (even if most players hold plunger AND trumpet bell with the left hand...)
I started with one hand 'cause I have to (as I wanted to enter again in the world of played music).

My facebook friend Fabio Morgera, international jazz trumpet player, plays with one hand, but he holds the trumpet in some way with his 'shorter' left arm covered with glove. Fabio is an incredible player!

I wanna than you all

Some of you guys contacted me for Shulmann: I surely purchase it and then let you know.

I let you know, and will post some photos!

Paolo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: