• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Alternative to Harmon Sound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Alternative to Harmon Sound Reply with quote

Any acceptable alternative to a Harmon mute for solos that need to be heard without a mike over a big band.

Cup? Straight?

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you push one of those old Bach black plastic straights they have a Harmon-type sound out front. Got to blow your brains out, but might be what you want.
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are harmon-type mutes that project much better. I have a Marcus Bonna (fibre glass, but, admittedly it's expensive...and possibly discontinued) 'harmon-style' mute which cuts great across big rooms. Also, I assume you're talking about projection issues when playing without the stem. For a period of time, I thought the 'Bruiso' mute I have by Facet was far louder than a harmon (it is much louder), but last month I had a gig with amplified instruments, and really felt the struggle - my previous experience was within solo/acoustic contexts.

The JoRal 'Bubble Mute' is a better in-tune and decently louder/more 'open blow' feel than a Harmon-brand "Harmon Mute."

So, what have you been using? What kind of musical contexts, beyond being unamplified, and what have you tried?

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Have your band play quieter! The Harmon is a quiet mute!

2) The Emo harmon has a very loud buzz which carries far.

3) For a slightly less traditional sound, the Trumcor Zinger is amazing. Lots of "core" for a soloist, solid pitch center, which means that the sound really reaches the back of the hall. I've had mine for only 2-3 weeks and I love it.

But in any case, overblowing a Harmon mute is a great way to sound horrible and kill your chops. If there's a Harmon, the band has to play ppp - no exceptions!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I think the Harmon is getting buried I sometimes resort to installing the stem. It doesn't work in all musical settings but it is louder.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solotone.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Sailors wrote:
Solotone.

I agree. This mute is available from Humes & Berg as a "Cleartone." It's sound is similar to a Harmon with the stem in but it is louder/projects more. In my swing orchestra we have various notations in the trumpet parts for a "tin mute" and I've had the trumpets go to the Cleartone in those situations. It's a much superior alternative to the Harmon with stem in.

If you're going to play Harmon style mutes but need more projection than what is typical for Harmon style mutes I suggest the Mutec copper bubble mute, it gets a much stronger buzz than a Harmon or JoRal and projects better (although it does not produce the "classic" Miles Davis type Harmon sound).
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been alternating my vintage copper Harmon, Charley Davis copper Harmon, and a Jo-Ral Bubble.

Hadn't considered the Solotone because I didn't want to sound like Clyde McCoy but I'll give it it a shot tonight.

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Sailors wrote:
Solotone.

The original Solotone should be fine, however, if you consider Humes & Berg replacement, their Cleartone mute falls out of the bell of most trumpets - it is just too wide at the insertion point (to be fair, it fits OK in a Schilke XA1 cornet).

Instead of Cleartone, I would suggest using Humes & Berg Mel-o-Wah which is quite similar in sound but has a much narrower diameter at the cork.

This clip, unfortunately, did not do justice for the Mel-o-Wah - I guess the player (who was it?) had a bad day:

Link

Same player, Cleartone:

Link

Last edited by etc-etc on Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with the Mel-o-Wah is that the blow is really bad. I mean, REALLY BAD.

The solotone or cleartone won't fall out of the bell if you sand it a little bit.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Play the mute that has the sound you want. Don't overblow a harmon--it wouldn't sound as good, and your chops would get frazzled. Solo tone (clear tone) mutes sound great, but don't settle if that isn't what you want. (Makes me think of the "roaring 20s," but maybe that would work for this tune.) The Trumcor Zinger sounds great and carries well, for a harmon/wah-wah.

2. Tell the band to play softly enough that you can be heard clearly. If that means just the drummer on brushes and piano playing lightly with the right hand only, Basie-style, then that's what they have to do. They must be willing and able to do whatever it takes for the soloist to be heard.
Piccolo Stomvi
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good advice! Thanks, guys!

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Solotone is one of my very favorite mutes but I don't consider it a reasonable alternative to a Harmon. A Harmon with stem is also quite different from a Harmon without, but it you extend the stem out a bit you can sorta' split the difference.

To my understanding, there was a period of time when Harmon assumed with stem. And If I'm playing music from that period and the Harmon trumpets are getting buried, I break out the stem. I suffered this for many years before I figured this out. Why play if you can't be heard. Obviously, if you have individual mics then you have more options.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Emo Solotone. It has a composite cork that stays in the bell just fine. It's fiberglass or something like that and is quite loud. Still wouldn't want to use it to power over a loud band or anything like that!

Also, I don't own one, but on the Horntrader website you can hear the little blastic "Harmon" style mute made by Emo. That sounds loud as heck.

http://www.horntrader.com/mutes/51-emo-wa-wa-no-plunger-needed.html
trumphat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out a Wallace wah wah, the red one, TWC 501. It's the loudest I've heard without the stem. I have traditional Harmon brand in aluminum and copper, Joral bubble in aluminum and copper, Wick in aluminum, Humes and Berg, Emo, and Bobby Shew from Yamaha. The red Wallace is the loudest. This mute has a removable stem with cup, another stem sans cup. Don't get the blue model. It has a permanently attached stem w/cup. Here's there web site. http://www.wallacebrass.co.uk They are made in Scotland and the have US dealers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: