• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette XLT Mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetmalta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Monette XLT Mouthpieces Reply with quote

can anyone tell me about the XLT monette mouthpieces.

I play on a classic B2 mouthpiece and lately I bought the B2 SLDS1 for the high register. The problem that the B2 LDS1 is not open and I'm hearing the sound coming back.

I phoned at the Monette Factory and they suggested to buy or the Resonance B2 LDS1 or the XLT LDS1.

Any suggestions please?????
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like my XLT and agree that it does give more feedback and less resistance than it's, otherwise identical, heavier counterpart. I currently play a XLT B4S S2 and have compared it to the STC weight. I've loved it since the day I got it and I was so happy with it I thought it would be great to get a B4LD S1. It really didn't work out for me. It was harder to play on the shallower cup. I think it had more to do with the mouthpiece shape than the weight. I wouldn't assume that the same diameter would work with a shallower cup.
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Monette XLT Mouthpieces Reply with quote

Trumpetmalta wrote:
can anyone tell me about the XLT monette mouthpieces.

I play on a classic B2 mouthpiece and lately I bought the B2 SLDS1 for the high register. The problem that the B2 LDS1 is not open and I'm hearing the sound coming back.

I phoned at the Monette Factory and they suggested to buy or the Resonance B2 LDS1 or the XLT LDS1.

Any suggestions please?????

Hi - I use a B2LDS1 (nowadays in the Resonance LT blank, and I've only been playing Prana mpcs since they were first introduced), so I'm curious what you mean by the 'piece not being 'open.' When you say "I'm hearing the sound coming back." Do you mean that your B2 has less reflection back to you, the player, or that the B2LDS1 doesn't give you the same feedback behind the horn? What do colleagues hear, out front?

The Resonance blank brings a lot of new things to Monette mouthpieces. They are exactly the same weight as the previous STC1 and LT 'pieces, only the new distribution of weight from the outside shape helps in bringing an even greater consistency of sound from low-to-high, and from soft-to-loud. XLT weight mouthpieces are very light, and quite bright. Most of my pre-Resonance lead mpcs were in the LT weight, not XLT, mainly because I am already used to a little bit of weight/mass in my equipment, and therefore I found the XLT articulations to have a little more 'pop' than I like.

Additionally, as they have a fair amount less mass than STC1 and LT weight 'pieces, I felt that I wasn't getting quite as much bang for the buck...at least judging from what I heard behind the horn and from room reflection. That said, I'm pretty sure the projection was working just fine, but I was more accustomed to hearing a 'darker' sound, and the extra-lightweight pieces naturally have more high overtones in the sound.

So, do you think the experiences you've had with this medium-shallow lead mouthpiece compared with your regular B2 are due to the cup depth? Or are you looking for an even 'zippier' sound? Resonance LT is a great way to go. XLT may be more specialized for super-high register playing and/or a focused BRIGHT sound.

Best,

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: