• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mike McGovern R.I.P

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MusicByThePound

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Mike McGovern R.I.P Reply with quote

I was an adult student of Mikes for about 10 years several years back. His trumpet herald posts only hinted at his depth of knowledge and trumpet experience - or his sense of humor.

He was sort of like a trumpet playing Forest Gump and had lots of great stories - One reason he knew so much was that over the years and through his travels (I think he told me he started playing gigs on the road weekends at 15) he came in contact with most of the movers and shakers in the trumpet world so he spoke from first hand experience - and he picked everyones brain whether it be about playing or equipment or how playing an exercise a certain way felt on their chops - how did it feel the next day? He had a very analytical and curious mind which he laser focused on trumpet playing.

Even though a lot of his posts might be about the mechanics of trumpet playing, that was not the way he taught. He would try to find an exercise or way of playing it where you would play yourself into correctness. It was never do this with your tongue or put the mouthpiece there. I bet I know 100 different ways to play Clarke #1!

I was as taken by surprise at his passing as anyone and am glad to be able to call him a friend.
Bruce
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear of his passing. We'd communicated publicly as well as privately here at TH. He will be missed.
bamajazzlady
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know the battle he was fighting. R.I.P.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sad to hear. A reasonable and knowledgeable poster on TH. With a dry wit.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, so sorry to hear this. He really wasn't all that old. He will definitely be missed. R.I.P.
Www.LexSamu.com
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I correctly infer from his posts that at one time he was married to Stan Getz's daughter? He always spoke of it in the past tense.

We can only imagine talks they may, or may not have had about playing jazz.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:
Did I correctly infer from his posts that at one time he was married to Stan Getz's daughter? He always spoke of it in the past tense.

He told me he was married to Stan Getz's daughter. I don't know if he was speaking in the past or present tense.

Mike was a very knowledgeable player and a fine contributor to the TH forum.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
markp wrote:

He told me he was married to Stan Getz's daughter. I don't know if he was speaking in the past or present tense.

Mike was married to Bev Getz?
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:
markp wrote:

Mike was married to Bev Getz?

I only knew Mike through TH, but I read some biographical info on him several years back. IF (big if, going solely on memory here) I recall correctly, I believe Mike's marriage to Ms. Getz was some time back and ended several years ago.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met the McGovnor through TH.

As some have alluded, he wasn't really fond of incorrect info related to any aspect of trumpet playing. His opinions were tempered by years of professional experience; any contributions not based on reality (particularly mouthpiece comparisons charts/sizes) could really raise his ire. In fact, anything that contradicted his professional experience could raise his ire; if you followed his posts I'm sure you've noticed this.

The first time I distinctly recall seeing a post by him it was so strong in opinion that I recall thinking, 'Who does this guy think he is?' I think several that read that particular thread must have had the same thought.

If I recall, Trent Austin then posted something to this affect, 'Folks, you may not know who McGovnor is, but you've heard his trumpet playing MANY times, whether you realize it or not and, trust me, he knows completely what he's talking about.'

Trent's comment impressed me so much that I did a quick websearch and discovered that McGovnor was indeed Michael McGovern, a top commercial player, a real pro, in the New York City area.

As I often do when I'm attracted by the logic, experience or intelligence of a post, I checked his profile and began examining his contribution on different threads. I was so impressed that I forwarded some questions to the McGovnor. Frankly, I was pleasantly surprised at his thorough and kind responses.

Perhaps Mike's last post was one in which he mentioned he was in the hospital and would report back on a breathing device when he was able. I was traveling a lot then and didn't tune in to TH as much as I'd have liked but when I got back home and checked I noticed Mike hadn't posted anything further... I began to wonder if he was doing ok. I emailed him on a Wednesday inquiring if he was faring ok and stated that I was offering some prayers for his well being. A few days later this thread began.

At 56, I'm no stranger to people passing. With the passing of McGovnor, though, I feel particularly sad. I'll miss his comments - even the ire he could manage when someone disagreed with him and he knew his opinion was right. (I say this with a big smile - I really enjoyed his posts)

In a forum where the worst trumpeters can write just as much and as oft as a top pro (and I dearly wish the proportion of posts were according to ability and not merely opinion), the passing of McGovnor certainly creates a void.

For those, like myself, that have enjoyed following his posts, the link below should make them easy to find. For those who haven't appreciated his comments yet; McGovnor had a great wealth of wisdom and much may be gleaned from his contributions here at TH. I particularly recall his contributions on chin pucker/flat and tonguing; his thoughts and comments on tonguing were amazing.

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/search.php?search_author=mcgovnor
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just knew of his death yesterday, from a post by Lexsamu.
For all the years i ve been reading threads in TH, he was one of the 2 or 3 best persons posting and giving great advices, and sharing his experience. His contribution here was a real richness for many of us.
Like Jonathan in the previous post, i used to read or look for all his posts.
Happy to have pmed him...
Now we can only wish him to rest in peace, in the Light.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: