• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What is standard trumpet ensemble literature?



 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bgarland11
Regular Member


Joined: 02 Nov 2008
Posts: 50

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: What is standard trumpet ensemble literature? Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I was wondering what everyone thought the "standard" rep for Trumpet Ensemble is. When speaking of Brass Quintet pretty much everyone can agree on a hand full of standards. Ewald. Die Bangel. Cheetham. Etc etc.

What do you think is standard for Trumpet Ensemble? What instrumentation are those works and can you play them with fewer players than recommended? Why are these pieces standard?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shastockovich
New Member


Joined: 11 Feb 2017
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Ewazen's Fantasia for seven trumpets. Eric Morales also has a number of pieces that work pretty well for varying numbers of trumpets.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bgarland11
Regular Member


Joined: 02 Nov 2008
Posts: 50

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shastockovich wrote:
Check out Ewazen's Fantasia for seven trumpets. Eric Morales also has a number of pieces that work pretty well for varying numbers of trumpets.


Thanks! I'll look into those for sure. I'm currently working with a couple quartets and am exploring literature for just four trumpets. Interesting challenge!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jay Lichtmann
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 08 Apr 2005
Posts: 543
Location: Avon, CT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canzon Cornetto by Samuel Scheidt - Trumpet 4tet
_________________
http://www.wwjdo.com
http://uhaweb.hartford.edu/lichtmann/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
petenerch
Veteran Member


Joined: 01 Jul 2011
Posts: 167
Location: Groton, NY

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out these, some popular, some a bit more obscure. Sample pages too if you click on the links.

LoPresti - Suite for Five Trumpets
http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku027084.php

Horton - Suite for Six Trumpets
http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku086721.php

DiLasso (Fatch) Echo - Trumpet Octets
http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku031907.php

Ewazen - Concert Fanfare Trumpet Sextets
http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku057420.php

Ewazen - Fantasia for Seven Trumpets
http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku062722.php

McKee, Kevin - Into the Blue - Trumpet Octets
http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku107837.php

Morales - Crystal Spheres
http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku091425.php

Morales - Conquest Trumpet Sextet
http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku091679.php

Morales - Cyclone Trumpet Quintet
http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku091419.php

Goedicke - Concert Etude, op 49 (Hickman) [12 trumpets]
http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku097884.php

Vivaldi (Fabert) - Autumn, from The Four Seasons, op 8 no 3 - Trumpet Quintets
http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku089563.php

Trumpet Catalog: http://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/trumpet/index.php
_________________
Peter Comerford
Alumnus: Northwestern Univ./Crane School of Music; Educational Specialist-Hickeys Music, Ithaca, NY.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
bgarland11
Regular Member


Joined: 02 Nov 2008
Posts: 50

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay Lichtmann wrote:
Canzon Cornetto by Samuel Scheidt - Trumpet 4tet


Thanks Jay! I remember playing this years ago now!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bgarland11
Regular Member


Joined: 02 Nov 2008
Posts: 50

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petenerch wrote:
Check out these, some popular, some a bit more obscure. Sample pages too if you click on the links.

LoPresti - Suite for Five Trumpets
http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku027084.php

Horton - Suite for Six Trumpets
http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku086721.php

DiLasso (Fatch) Echo - Trumpet Octets
http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku031907.php

Ewazen - Concert Fanfare Trumpet Sextets
http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku057420.php

Ewazen - Fantasia for Seven Trumpets
http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku062722.php

McKee, Kevin - Into the Blue - Trumpet Octets
http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku107837.php

Morales - Crystal Spheres
http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku091425.php

Morales - Conquest Trumpet Sextet
http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku091679.php

Morales - Cyclone Trumpet Quintet
http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku091419.php

Goedicke - Concert Etude, op 49 (Hickman) [12 trumpets]
http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku097884.php

Vivaldi (Fabert) - Autumn, from The Four Seasons, op 8 no 3 - Trumpet Quintets
http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku089563.php

Trumpet Catalog: http://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/trumpet/index.php


Thanks! This is a solid list. I suppose part of the problem of getting "standard" repertoire is the fluidity of the ensemble. Seems like quintet or sextet would be the most popular.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
petenerch
Veteran Member


Joined: 01 Jul 2011
Posts: 167
Location: Groton, NY

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there's a lot out there and paring it down helps. I need to start a project uploading a bunch of scanned score pages for more trumpet ensemble repertoire for the Hickey's Music website. If you are on our website and see any particular trumpet chart that you want to check out, just send me a private message with a list. I will start working on it. That is an invitation to anyone. If the chart says "usually ships in 24 hours", that means it is likely in stock so I can grab it and scan some sample score pages and get that up on the site for us all to peruse.

Click on the link and choose one of the trumpet ensemble categories:
http://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/trumpet/index.php

Online Browsing Pete
_________________
Peter Comerford
Alumnus: Northwestern Univ./Crane School of Music; Educational Specialist-Hickeys Music, Ithaca, NY.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
bgarland11
Regular Member


Joined: 02 Nov 2008
Posts: 50

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petenerch wrote:
Yes there's a lot out there and paring it down helps. I need to start a project uploading a bunch of scanned score pages for more trumpet ensemble repertoire for the Hickey's Music website. If you are on our website and see any particular trumpet chart that you want to check out, just send me a private message with a list. I will start working on it. That is an invitation to anyone. If the chart says "usually ships in 24 hours", that means it is likely in stock so I can grab it and scan some sample score pages and get that up on the site for us all to peruse.

Click on the link and choose one of the trumpet ensemble categories:
http://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/trumpet/index.php

Online Browsing Pete


Wow Peter that would be great! I just starting teaching a trumpet ensemble at a university and a youth ensemble as well. The problem is we are so far away from anywhere that sells music (rural south problems) and hate buying online without knowing my players can handle it. I'll check out your catolog and be in touch if I see anything tempting!

Brian
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
petenerch
Veteran Member


Joined: 01 Jul 2011
Posts: 167
Location: Groton, NY

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes trumpet players need someone in the trenches to help them find great literature. Coming to Ithaca, NY for a wine tour, hiking the gorges and spending hours sitting in the stacks to peruse music is wonderful. But until you can do that, just give me a shout, tell me what you want to see, and I'll get on it.

Perusal Pete
_________________
Peter Comerford
Alumnus: Northwestern Univ./Crane School of Music; Educational Specialist-Hickeys Music, Ithaca, NY.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
anothertrpt
New Member


Joined: 29 Dec 2004
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you got some great suggestions. I would add two more favorites.

Plog - Suite for 6 Trumpets

Koetsier - Concertino Piccolo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jay Lichtmann
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 08 Apr 2005
Posts: 543
Location: Avon, CT

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of these are standard but they're free, so WTF, you might as well check them out!

https://goo.gl/IlZmqz
_________________
http://www.wwjdo.com
http://uhaweb.hartford.edu/lichtmann/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
petenerch
Veteran Member


Joined: 01 Jul 2011
Posts: 167
Location: Groton, NY

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still my favorite trumpet ensemble:

LoPresti Suite for Five Trumpets
Sample Pages: http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku027084.php

Found this recording of Loyola students online that is quite good . Hopefully ok for me to include here. You might have to paste it into your browser...not sure the best way to include YouTube items. Help with that?
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGPhvetHh8Y[/youtube]

The Horton is similar in style to the LoPresti:

Horton Suite for Six Trumpets:
http://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku086721.php[/youtube][/code]
_________________
Peter Comerford
Alumnus: Northwestern Univ./Crane School of Music; Educational Specialist-Hickeys Music, Ithaca, NY.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
JimmyThird
Veteran Member


Joined: 24 Jul 2007
Posts: 245
Location: Illinois

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi:

I thought I'd share this - based on your post.
Wonderfully performed (of course) by Chris Martin, Mike Sachs, Dave Bilger, and Ryan Anthony. (conducted by Tony DiLorenzo)
I've got a few more trumpet ensemble pieces too.

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKpp7kfmapI

My trumpet music is here: https://www.stephensonmusic.com/trumpet.htm

Thanks,
Jim
_________________
James Stephenson
www.stephensonmusic.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 08 Jul 2003
Posts: 4137
Location: Tempe, Arizona

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyThird wrote:
Hi:

I thought I'd share this - based on your post.
Wonderfully performed (of course) by Chris Martin, Mike Sachs, Dave Bilger, and Ryan Anthony. (conducted by Tony DiLorenzo)
I've got a few more trumpet ensemble pieces too.

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKpp7kfmapI

My trumpet music is here: https://www.stephensonmusic.com/trumpet.htm

Thanks,
Jim


I played this just last night at the Tempe Center for the Arts. Great piece! And a beautiful tribute to a wonderful lady! Thanks for adding this piece to the trumpet quartet literature Jim. (And two us in the ensemble attended Interlochen in 1983).
_________________
Derek Reaban
Tempe, Arizona
Tempe Symphonic Wind Ensemble / Symphony of the Southwest
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
JimmyThird
Veteran Member


Joined: 24 Jul 2007
Posts: 245
Location: Illinois

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome, Derek!
I was just out in Phoenix last week. Would have ben fun to hear a rehearsal!
I was at Interlochen '79-'86, btw.
_________________
James Stephenson
www.stephensonmusic.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 08 Jul 2003
Posts: 4137
Location: Tempe, Arizona

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyThird wrote:

I was at Interlochen '79-'86, btw.


I remember! I heard you play in Lindenau's studio when you were a freshman. I was there for 6 weeks in my senior year (mid Nov to Christmas) with my friend Dmitri Matheny on a Network Exchange program from our high school. You played one of the Carnival of Venice variations with your horn upside down using one finger and it was really impressive!
_________________
Derek Reaban
Tempe, Arizona
Tempe Symphonic Wind Ensemble / Symphony of the Southwest
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group