• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Marcinkiewicz Trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Marcinkiewicz Trumpets Reply with quote

I've never played or even held a Marcinkiewicz trumpet, but seen them online and occasionally for sale. They sure look pretty!

Just curious who makes them, if anybody knows. Are they built in house, or are they designed by Marcinkiewicz but built by somebody else?

I'm not selling one or in the market to purchase a new trumpet, just some idle curiosity. Thanks in advance for any info you may have.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, the only time I saw a Marcinkiewicz trumpet was when I did a gig with the Barnum Bailey Ringling Brothers Circus band at the Hampton Coliseum in the early 1990's. The leader of that band was playing one and he was absolutely a killer player with great range. I got a chance to look at it but not play it. All I can say is that the player made it sound great and I 've lots of good things about these horns. I heard, and think, the company was sold and Calicchios are also being made there. To me it looked a lot like a Besson Meha.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody searches first any more? OK, here's the company site:

http://www.marcinkiewicz.com

They make them in-house; John Duda was sharing space and making Calicchios there until his recent return to the midwest. They no longer do their plating in-house because of environmental considerations, but just about everything else of any significance is done there. I've owned a Marcinkiewicz Rembrandt 3X for several years, and it's a very fine instrument in every respect.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falado wrote:
Hi, the only time I saw a Marcinkiewicz trumpet was when I did a gig with the Barnum Bailey Ringling Brothers Circus band at the Hampton Coliseum in the early 1990's. The leader of that band was playing one and he was absolutely a killer player with great range. I got a chance to look at it but not play it. All I can say is that the player made it sound great and I 've lots of good things about these horns. I heard, and think, the company was sold and Calicchios are also being made there. To me it looked a lot like a Besson Meha.

Dave

Yeah, some of them look very Besson or Benge-like. I wondered if Kanstul was building them, but didn't think of Calicchio folks maybe being involved. Good points.

I've done circus work years ago. Some of the loudest, hardest playing, endurance busting jobs I've ever played!
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChopsGone wrote:
Nobody searches first any more? OK, here's the company site:

http://www.marcinkiewicz.com

They make them in-house; John Duda was sharing space and making Calicchios there until his recent return to the midwest. They no longer do their plating in-house because of environmental considerations, but just about everything else of any significance is done there. I've owned a Marcinkiewicz Rembrandt 3X for several years, and it's a very fine instrument in every respect.

Doh'!! Thanks for the info. I guess I shoulda just read the web site
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Marcinkiewicz Vermeer, excellent horn!
I believe Joe worked at Benge with Zig, too.
Looking forward to trying their new Hollywood and Studio
models soon...
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Marcinkiewicz trumpets are not built by Kanstul - they are built in house. The "Benge-like" ones referred to earlier are probably the replicas of the Benge CG and Selmer CG trumpets made with Patricia Gordon's blessings and input from myself and several other long-time Claude Gordon students. The are expensive, but also fantastic horns. For further reference, see:

http://www.marcinkiewicz.com/instruments/trumpets/artisan/

Note that on the above Marcinkiewicz page, the bore sizes for the two CG models are incorrectly listed as .464" in the table section at the top of the page. As the text down below on the page describes, the two horns have bores of .468 and .470 respectively, in keeping with the bores of the .468" Benge CG and .470" Selmer CG trumpets. Both horns have reduced, .464" bell tube diameters (where the bell tube starts, coming off the first valve).

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=681812

https://www.purtle.com/claude-gordon-trumpets-marcinkiewicz-co-inc

The only Benge feature missing from the horns is the forward facing second valve tubing (something I would have retained if it had been up to me).

Cheers,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool info. I'd love to try one someday. They are so expensive, I doubt I'd ever own one

I'd have to sell 3 or 4 trumpets to get enough cash for one, then better have the fastest bebop lines and effortless double high Cs built in for that kind of money!
illegalbugler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there are currently two Claude Gordon trumpets being made? One by Marcinkiewicz and the other by Burbank Trumpets (made by Kanstul)?

I do like going to the Marcinkiewicz website and looking through their galleries. A lot of trumpet eye candy there. The photographs are great.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe and co. make their own horns and parts up in Canby Oregon. I have played a fair selection of Marcinkiewicz trumpets, and each of them was a work of art. The best trumpet (and flugelhorn) I ever played was theirs. Were they not so bloody expensive, I'd have one now.
Joe does make all of my mouthpieces, though.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend, Lexie Signor endorses those horns. She has a Bb, a (terrific) flugel and (I think) a C. Her Bb is the Claude Gordon model. They are really excellent instruments.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Husonics in FL has a great selection of new horns now available. Fantastic hand-built beauties that play great. Write or call Bill Prang for details and pics, as they don't list much online.

I'd picked up a used Rembrandt Four-X last year in ML bore with a #5 ML leadpipe. Played very good but a tad tight to me, so the back-pressure would tire me out a bit by the end of a 3-hour gig. After discussing with Zack Marcinkiewicz, Joe's son, the horn was sent to them for a 1-day process where they use a special tool they made to basically ream out the leadpipe to #7 L bore specs. No soldering, not refinishing, just my same horn with a more open blow = perfect!

If you want one, you should grab one while you can ... after speaking with Zack, I don't think you'll see any new trumpets from them in the near future. They do plan to continue mouthpiece production and will revisit trumpet options in 2018 or after...

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S

Last edited by cyber_shake on Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcinkiewicz does excellent work. I've played a Vermeer, and the Martin replica built for John Coppola, and two of the CG replicas. all of them coming through the shop. Very high-quality instruments, indeed.
-Lionel
https://yourbrass.com/
lmao_a_horn_player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know where you could go to try one of these out?
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If you make an appointment you can try their horns at the Marcinkiewicz shop in Oregon. Otherwise, they have their horns at ITG each year, perhaps NTC as well (though not sure about NTC).
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also buy the one for sale in the marketplace.

No, it's not mine.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmao_a_horn_player wrote:

http://www.husonics.com/ In St. Petersburg FL
JazzFluegel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own Joe's Custom/Rembrandt cornet which I've had since the 90s. I also owned at one time: his Rembrandt shepherds crook trumpet, a Vermeer, and one of the first of his Fluegelhorns. Been to the factory many times as I also wrote his patents & still keep in touch regularly. Would be happy to PM about them in detail. They are all, as someone else said here once upon a time, the "jewels" of horns. Begs the question as to why I don't still have the trumpets & Fluegelhorn; latter because I developed asthma & the L-bore, L-bell, Fluegel takes a lot of filling; the trumpets because I am apparently a meathead... .
NOW, Keith Allen Pintar
Marcinkiewicz Rembrandt Cornet
Kanstul 1525 FL
1962 Conn 9A Artist Coprion
1948 Conn NY Symphony 12B Coprion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: