• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What do you think about on your initial attack?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: What do you think about on your initial attack? Reply with quote

Whether section playing or soloing, what are you thinking about as far as your process to create that first clean, stylistically appropriate "legit" attack?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
furcifer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that James Austin once replied "The opening of Rienzi." to the question, "What's the hardest thing you ever had to play?"

Now, James Austin was not only born with "perfect pitch" but he is one of the even-rarer phenomenal people who can also hear down to the vibrations. He can tell you if it's A=440 or A=442.

Well, the opening of Rienzi is just a solo trumpet on a mid-staff A (concert). Easiest thing in the world, right? Hmmm, well, not when you clam the attack. It's like the entire overture is destroyed - but hey, no pressure, LOL!

So I want to hear that pitch in my head from initial tuning, focus on pitch center, take a relaxed 1 or maybe 2-second breath and immediately release the tongue WITHOUT thinking too much about the actual tongue itself. Pitch center is probably the main thing that actually helps in not clamming it.
Buescher LP 9 -1926
Getzen 896S-4 flugel -'86
Conn 18H bone -'64
Getzen M2003E Bb/G bugle
Getzen Titleist 2v soprano G -'79
King K-50 G mellophone
Henri Gautier Cornet C/Bb/A -1919
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the less I think the better things go for me. I've already prepared myself mentally long before I pick up the horn.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I practice sound production exercises every day (Franquin, Shuebruk, etc.) to develop and maintain good response so I can start notes cleanly and accurately (or that's the plan, anyway). So when it's time to play in rehearsal or performance, I just do it the same way: slow inhale, think of the sound, release the air.

There's probably a long list of things going on with my lips, air, tongue, etc., to make it work that my subconscious figured out from practice, but I try not to think of those things and let my subconscious handle it.
Piccolo Stomvi
New.Vintage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the practice room, I focus on sound production, making sure I use my tongue right for the articulation I want to produce. I analyze and really think about pitch, volume, tone color, and response.

During a performance I can easily fall into paralysis due to over analysis. So I try to rely on my practice sessions and not over think what I'm doing.

So what do I think about during performances? Boats and hoes. Anything to relax and just play.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had better be hearing and visualizing the sound before you actually make it or you may be in for a big surprise...
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a school of thought that we should inhale in time so the air and articulation arrive in time and together. But in the real world the downbeat is sometimes not that predictable. The conductor may stand there for a while then at best you get a preparatory upbeat.

For problematic exposed entrances it's sometimes helpful to think of the exposed entrance as part of a phrase that you're already playing. For example with Charlier #2 you can imagine playing a pickup starting on the upbeat of two F-G-A-Bb then play the F on the upbeat of 1. In your head you've established the time and the key so the beginning F should be more secure.

In terms of getting the mechanics right for an initial attack, the time to think about that is in the practice room. You should forget about mechanics and think about the music when playing with others.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: What do you think about on your initial attack? Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
Whether section playing or soloing, what are you thinking about as far as your process to create that first clean, stylistically appropriate "legit" attack?

I really don't think about it - not in those circumstances. I'll work on it in the practice room though, particularly if I'm working on long tones - I'll work on getting a very clean, controlled attack that is balanced, and in particular I work on it playing as softly as I can. If you can consistently do that in the practice room and it becomes second nature, then you'll be able to focus on the music and not have to think about it at all. Also, if you can do really controlled attacks at pp, then you can do just about any kind of attack that is necessary anywhere else.

I tend to work on articulation a lot, mainly because it's something that I feel I could always improve, but also because it's crucial to how a player is perceived. If all other things are good, but your attacks are foofey, how will you be perceived?
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOlds wrote:
For problematic exposed entrances it's sometimes helpful to think of the exposed entrance as part of a phrase that you're already playing. For example with Charlier #2 you can imagine playing a pickup starting on the upbeat of two F-G-A-Bb then play the F on the upbeat of 1. In your head you've established the time and the key so the beginning F should be more secure.

The first note of Charlier 2 is the downbeat of a 5/8 bar. Problem solved.

For entrances, prehear the note, breathe in the style of the music and let it fly.
theRiddler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are truly speaking any language, you think in that language. When you play music, you think in music. When playing, I'm imagining the music as lines from a play, I breathe, hear the sound, and let my imagination guide my body to do what it needs to do.

This video is a great resource that explains further.
:
https://youtu.be/y_7DgCrziI8
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theRiddler wrote:
When you are truly speaking any language, you think in that language. When you play music, you think in music. When playing, I'm imagining the music as lines from a play, I breathe, hear the sound, and let my imagination guide my body to do what it needs to do.

This video is a great resource that explains further.
:
https://youtu.be/y_7DgCrziI8

Or to quote Bruce Lee: "Be the water"
TrumpetPly1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is a school of thought that we should inhale in time so the air and articulation arrive in time and together. But in the real world the downbeat is sometimes not that predictable. The conductor may stand there for a while then at best you get a preparatory upbeat.

As a player, do you prefer 2 beats to mentally and physically prepare to play the first note? Perhaps this is especially the case when the tempo is faster? Just curious as I conduct more than I play and have long wondered about player perception.
theRiddler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mentally engaged the entire time. Usually singing whatever else is going on in the orchestra/band/whatever in my head. This way, I don't 'slip out' of performance mode. It's kind of like sleeping. If you realize you're sleeping, you're not sleeping. If you are just waiting to play, you're not in the right headspace. Just my $.02
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: