• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 10.5C (10 1/2) equivalents

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Trent may have started his ACB mouthpiece line since this thread slowed.

But, since I play a 10.5 Bachish piece and the Marc Shew pieces, I'm enjoying it all over again. . Quality revival.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
philosofriend
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played Blessing Super Artists (Clifford Brown's horn) for 43 years. The mouthpeice that helps me do my best Clifford imitation is a Blessing 10 1/2 C. I spent a few months playing every 10 1/2 and 10 1/4 C I could find. My impression is that Mr. Bach and Mr. Blessing had found a way to get a knife-edge balancing of some mouthpiece virtues that are usually thought of as opposites. A good 10 1/x has enough fat tone in the low notes and enough big relaxed open loud tone in the high notes to remind you of a "big" mouthpiece, like a 1 or 3. But it also has a way of feeling like going up to the high notes is just an easy stroll up into a regular part of the trumpet range, no big deal really. It is easy to go from highest to lowest, with good endurance.
My other impression is that because trying to get all these things in one mouthpiece is a delicate balancing act, the guys were always tinkering with the series. Or maybe the mouthpeices needed to be made with more precision than the manufacturers were used to. Either way, individual 10 1/x mouthpeices are apt to be noticeably different from each other.
LakeTahoeTrpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Have any of you ever opened up the throat of the Bach 10 1/2? I seem to be getting a little to much resistance when I'm going for a really big sound"

Hi, Kerry

I tried this a few years ago and the result was a ruined mouthpiece. I didn't drill it myself; I just ordered a 10 1/2 C from Bach with a 24 throat. Ha ha! I don't even remember what I was trying to accomplish -- I think I didn't feel like I could put enough air through the regular 10 1/2 C. The 10 1/2 C with the bigger throat was unplayable. Those guys make the "standard" combinations for a reason. These days I leave it to the experts, and my expert over the last 15 years has been Mark Curry. Back before he couldn't do it anymore (his house wasn't zoned for "business"), he had me over to his place, listened to me play, discussed what I wanted, how I was feeling, what felt good, etc., etc., and sent me home with a half dozen mouthpieces to try. After a few weeks I decided on one and it has been it ever since. Over the years I have gotten frustrated, tried something else, but have always returned back to my Curry. My suggestion is to contact any of the mouthpiece makers you see on this thread and tell them what you are looking for. I bet they will come up with something you like.
cornet74
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very interesting topic for me. Being a 5 (.660) player vurtuallly my whole life--and the same VB 5C from my sophmore year in HS until I was 45 for everything (the piece just wore out--repelating wasn't even an issue.) I'm 57 now and went thru a period of trying to repalce the 5C. First Laskey than Curry. After a year or so of this I settled on the Curry. I added Bb and Eb cornet to the mix and while I had the whol;e set of Laskey Cornet 60s, I finally settled on the Currys. So I have 4 differnt 5 trumpet pieces and 5 differnt corent short shank pieces. Some are stock some are a bit custion.

But:

A few years ago I started thinking that as i get older it might be a good idea to down size to rhe 10 line. So I have some Yam 7s for cornet/trumpet both standard wick 5 fro corent (Excellent and comfortable) some VB 10.5s for cornet and the Kantul G2 for trumpet and cornet.

I spent a few months with these mpcs and to be honest, its hard for me to feel a difference in diameters. The only thing I felt was some assurance, which could have been psycological. I particuallry like the Gustat 2 but again, as others said, the rim is strange but you can get used to it.

Given the excelent work that Kanstul does with mpcs i suspect I will eventially move on to the 10 as I'm also starting to have some teeth problems. My idea is probably have the G2 cut with a number of rims they make--the GIR W, or Bach W for both cornet and trumoet as the day i don't have any teeth is probaly coming soon due to a bone disease i have. Playing with dentures (which my ins. co does not cover) seems daunting to me so playing on my gums is probably going to be the way. Chet baker played with dentures and sometimes on the small stubbles of teeth he had left. He called it "playing on my gums." or as Woody Shaw did when he ellectivley had his top four teeth removed in 1980. The source for this was Brian Lynch who told me this some years back--also that he played a gig the next night. i asked him if he had seen his missing teeth to which he said no. I have scoured every utube out there and there is one in particualr that shows all 4 top teeth missing. Please don't ask me which youtube--find it yourself.

So--a great thread. I've enjoyed everyones imput and hope for more. For now, I',m still wit my Curry 5s as they really work well for me, but soon the day is going to come.

Even Chet Baker, when resuming playing again switched from his tried and true 6C and played, on advice of a trumpet player I won't name, on an 10.75CW fro awaile for help in regaining/rebuilding his emb. he did go back to the 6C which he played masterfully until the end of his far too short life. And the same with Woody Shaw, both I was fortunate to know in real life.

Again, thank you for a great post.

Best,
Wick Wooden Tenor Horn Straight Mute
LaserJim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that this is an old thread, but for ease of anybody searching for similar sizes in the future, I thought that continuing it might be best.

I'm looking for a mouthpiece around a 10.5c size but with a plastic rim or top, as I appear to have developed a reaction to regular silver-plated brass. Undecided about my one gold piece.

From what I can find from standard, rather than custom, pieces, I'm looking at an Austin Custom Brass 10.5c top, in acrylic or delrin, or a James New S3M top, in delrin). Perhaps also a Wedge 64MD (acrylic or delrin).

Has anyone out there compared any of these pieces, ACB 10.5c, James New S3M, or Wedge 64MD, in any form, whether brass or plastic, top or full piece?

Thanks,
James
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Patrick 12C and/or the Marcinkiewicz Claude Gordon Personal and I play a Bach 10.5C
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before my comeback last spring, I played trumpet during the 50s and 60s. I started playing in 1953 and bought a Bach 10 1/2C on the recommendation of my teacher at the local conservatory of music. I used it when I made my comeback but also tried other size mps, including a 4 month stint with a 3C. But no matter what mps I've tried I always come back to the 10 1/2C because it has proven to be, time and again, the one that is right for me.
However, I do like the sound of a deeper cup like the Curry 50TC I own. Unfortunately the bite on the Curry turned out to be too hard on my lower lip and caused me some embouchure trouble. It protrudes below my upper lip and so I need to use more pressure than I like to get a good seal for the upper lip. I thought that the Bach 10 1/2A would be worth a try. Bad decision. The inside rim on the A is larger than my C model, and has virtually no bite at all, causing me to miss notes at times.
I understand that Curry rims are easy to mate in a given series, so I am thinking about getting a Curry 10 1/2C and a B or BC .
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
LakeTahoeTrpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:

I understand that Curry rims are easy to mate in a given series, so I am thinking about getting a Curry 10 1/2C and a B or BC .

George -- try the Curry 10 1/2 BC. I think you will like it.
Benge Flugelhorn 3X
Buescher 400 Model 275 Cornet
Curry Precision Mouthpieces
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LakeTahoeTrpt wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Actually I had a Curry 8 1/2B on backorder for awhile and it is now on its way. There is little difference in the size to the 10 1/2, so we will see how it goes. I was told its rim is a bit flatter than the 10 1/2, too and that would suit me just fine.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
Gartex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different rims for different people, this seems to be a good fit for you!
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
LakeTahoeTrpt wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Actually I had a Curry 8 1/2B on backorder for awhile and it is now on its way. There is little difference in the size to the 10 1/2, so we will see how it goes. I was told its rim is a bit flatter than the 10 1/2, too and that would suit me just fine.

The Curry 8.5 size is a real opportunity for people who are betweeners. Flip Oakes doesn't make that size and for many people it is "just right." It was for me for a while. I have just about everything in the 8.5 size. I currently use Curry 7 size. I've been tempted to sell off the 8.5 collection but no way. You never know and they really are terrific.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
md-jones
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about the Curry 8.5 mouthpieces.
Since the Curry Standard line is modeled after the Bach specs, how would you describe the rim/cup of the 8.5, since there is no Bach equivalent?
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

md-jones wrote:
I have a question about the Curry 8.5 mouthpieces.
Since the Curry Standard line is modeled after the Bach specs, how would you describe the rim/cup of the 8.5, since there is no Bach equivalent?

The parts just feel like a smaller Curry 7 in B, BC, TF, TC, VC, FLM or any other variation. In other words, they feel like a Curry. Bach? I have one in a 3 size that I occasionally pull out to remember what it feels like. Feels kind of stuffy and less responsive.

Conn 22B Trumpet
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played that diameter for years.

GR 62M is right in that area. Also available are smaller volume cups, 62SZ, 62S, 62MS, or slightly larger, 62MX, 62L. Primal 62 is a commercial cup with the chop room of the M cup. So many variations with the same rim contour and diameter. Depending on the Bach that you are used to, GR 62M or 63M should do the trick. Also try the Lexan or Delrin rims, or Rhodium plating if you have allergies to silver. Try through a dealer!

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com
hackney_wick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delete

Last edited by hackney_wick on Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackney_wick wrote:
The rim on the Curry 7 feels a touch too sharp for me. Are you saying the rims on the Curry 8.5 and 10.5 feel the same as that? A Bach 10.5 doesn't feel sharp to me so I would expect the Curry to be similar. I've never come across a Bach in the 8 to 9 range so I wouldn't know.

I'll soon find out because I have a Curry 8.5B on the way.

I hope it isn't sharp because I love my Curry 50TC but it is way too sharp. It did a real job on my chops when I used it regularly. Now I can only use it occasionally.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The perception of rim sharpness is often a factor of the angle of your chops as they contact the rim. Same rim can feel quite different in different sized mouthpieces. Also style of aperture formation, short vs. long apertures makes a huge difference. My Curry 7BC can feel sharp. If it does, it's me not the mouthpiece. Time to lighten up, lengthen the aperture and float the mouthpiece on my chops.

Conn 22B Trumpet
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Also style of aperture formation, short vs. long apertures makes a huge difference.

What is a "short" vs. "long" aperture?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Richard III wrote:
Also style of aperture formation, short vs. long apertures makes a huge difference.

What is a "short" vs. "long" aperture?

I got that from a book by Pops McLaughlin. Here is a link:

http://www.bbtrumpet.com/vseries4.html

Conn 22B Trumpet
hackney_wick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delete

Last edited by hackney_wick on Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: