• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Nice work if you can get it....?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Nice work if you can get it....? Reply with quote

Having written about my ongoing lead mouthpiece safari, stopping at oasises named Jettone, "Brand Lead", I reconsidered an old Schilke 11A.
Provided me with better tonal qualities, seemingly better&more distinct core.
So we played at a bigger party the other night, 33 songs in all; in a row since people occupied the dance floor on a continual basis.
And what happened? My lips finally went down the drain.. barely made it to the end
I have practised a lot, 2 hours liptime most days, ample high register training feeling quite well, although I seemed to "overblow" last rehearsal making lips somewhat sore day after, hampering me a bit in the next bandrehearsal.
Having recovered from a combination of bad habits and overuse syndrom I am somewhat keen on not going in that direction again.
This 11A is not as shallow as the Jettone, or the Brand. Better sound though but the best notes are those that get played. Or?
These shallow pieces are more forgiving to my poor old chops.
So now I am bewildered - practise even more or take the easy road??
Someone out there recognizing this??
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you consider using a lead mouthpiece to play lead "taking the easy road"?
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with using a Jettone. Or any other commercial style mouthpiece, designed to make playing easier and endurance last longer.

I don't consider using a commercial piece taking the easy road, I think it's just using the right tool for the right job. That's why they were designed!!

Over the years I've experimented with playing on all sorts of mouthpieces. Deep, shallow, wide, narrow, bowl shape, v cup, tight throats open throats, tight backbores and open backbores.

No matter what I play on, after the honeymoon period and getting used to the piece, my sound always sounds like me. I seem to always adjust and whatever new sound of feel comes with a new piece disappears and I go back to sounding like I always sound.

To make things easier, and maybe I'm taking the easy road, but I've become comfortable on shallower cups and use them all the time. Specifically for reasons like you mentioned: to have longer, stronger endurance, to not fall into the bad habit of overblowing and more accuracy and control through all registers
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
Nothing wrong with using a Jettone. Or any other commercial style mouthpiece, designed to make playing easier and endurance last longer.

I don't consider using a commercial piece taking the easy road, I think it's just using the right tool for the right job. That's why they were designed!!

Over the years I've experimented with playing on all sorts of mouthpieces. Deep, shallow, wide, narrow, bowl shape, v cup, tight throats open throats, tight backbores and open backbores.

No matter what I play on, after the honeymoon period and getting used to the piece, my sound always sounds like me. I seem to always adjust and whatever new sound of feel comes with a new piece disappears and I go back to sounding like I always sound.

To make things easier, and maybe I'm taking the easy road, but I've become comfortable on shallower cups and use them all the time. Specifically for reasons like you mentioned: to have longer, stronger endurance, to not fall into the bad habit of overblowing and more accuracy and control through all registers

Hmm...you and Craig S caught me there
Well sort of easy road....You see I frequently play solocornet in a brass band and my legit piece there is rather deep - and I like my sound.
Portion of me wants to have this core, broad sound on my trumpet too - although I realize it borders to hubris not using a lead piece. 11A might be used as lead??!! A-cup after all.
Also I know that using shallow pieces is an art in itself, sort of. In fact I have experienced lately that practising more on the shallow one results in better sound..
When I compare my "leads" I find that they are rather close in cup-depths; differences in the "layout" - Jettone seems a hybrid between V and C cup, the Brand more standard C (but nicer rim); whereas the 11A as I see it, a traditional C cup; a Schilke 14A4 (+dito A4a) some double C cup - I find them weird, + they are 17 mm. The Jettone backbore ending largest. The Schilke 11A is 16,51 mm in diam (my cornet piece is 16,25).
Hmmm! Also lately I find myself fancying maybe a V-cup would do it??
Digging myself down.....although all these pieces seem not that different they obviously are, give or take a mm here and there. Maybe the problem is situated between my ears
Or me being just a mediocre amateur.....
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sidenote** I never though Schilke A cups were all that shallow.

The tight A backbores give a nice commercial sound, but the C backbore an 11A for instance I don't think has a sound that really has much edge.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Schilke 11A is designed to be a pic piece. It has the rather large Schilke C backbore. Each of the A cup pieces is different: The 14A4a is base on the Purviance 4*K4, employing a special tighter A backbore and was designed for Forrest Buchtell Jr., the 13A4a is based on the Reeves 42SV (2SV at the time) and was made for Mike Vax, The 6A4a was designed for Bill Chase, who played a Jettone previously.

PS I operated the Schilke mouthpiece lathe for a time in 1973
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no absolutes, but a "lead mouthpiece" won't enable you to do what you're not (at least not yet) capable of. I use one for what I do because while I do think it helps my endurance somewhat, it also helps me get the tone I want and need to cut through the amps of the band I work with without having to overblow. Ok, overblowing LESS; I'm still guilty of it sometimes.

Brad
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
The Schilke 11A is designed to be a pic piece. It has the rather large Schilke C backbore. Each of the A cup pieces is different: The 14A4a is base on the Purviance 4*K4, employing a special tighter A backbore and was designed for Forrest Buchtell Jr., the 13A4a is based on the Reeves 42SV (2SV at the time) and was made for Mike Vax, The 6A4a was designed for Bill Chase, who played a Jettone previously.

PS I operated the Schilke mouthpiece lathe for a time in 1973

Aha! Thanks for this information. Seems to corroborate my own findings. This 11 A + me gave me a rather bright tone, very focused - at the same time sparkling. In combination with the Bach 1B Commercial. Somehow reminding me of my Eb trumpet days.
So Iīll go back to the Jettone/Brand pieces! While reminding myself (again) most mpc:s per se do not give access to higher regions, but flying around up there (in all due modesty) becomes easier with some of them.
Hmmm! This never-ending story...capable? easy road? back to the drawing (blowing) board.....One of these days! Iīll let you know, if youīre still around ...
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
furcifer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah the great lead piece hunt. I know it well. Abyssus abyssum invocat.

Yes, it helps to practice on the piece you play the most and/or most physically-demanding stuff on, in terms of extending your endurance.

Yes, it helps *me* to play a piece that does NOT have a sharp inner rim edge. Due to that, I can play a piece that *feels* wider, but "specs" narrower on a comparison chart.

I also don't find that the Schilke 13A4a or 14A4a cups are all that shallow in the grand scheme of lead/commercial mouthpieces, but I'm not a huge fan of the sharper-edge inner rims. Some might consider them rather rounded; I do not - especially the 13A4a which has more of a flat rim anyway, so the sharp inner edge is even more pronounced. Now, while I could get the sound I wanted on either one without having to overblow - which is even more critical to optimizing endurance than the inner rim edge - I felt I could still do a little better...

So I now play a Marcinkiewicz E14 Bobby Shew #1. The rim edge is rounder and the cup depth is shallower. It's even easier to get the sound I want, which, again, is crucial to hanging up those big notes at the end of the gig.

Every other mouthpiece I play on is for a different sound for the kind of playing that is nowhere near as taxing as lead work, so I don't worry about "practicing" to stay in general physical shape on them. I only practice on them when the mood strikes or when I have something specific to perform.

Getting the lead sound I want without having to work so hard actually optimizes endurance via the inspiration I get from it, as well as just being easier. So, I guess you could say I go for sound first (via cup, backbore combo), and then start dialing in the rim shape.
Buescher LP 9 -1926
Getzen 896S-4 flugel -'86
Conn 18H bone -'64
Getzen M2003E Bb/G bugle
Getzen Titleist 2v soprano G -'79
King K-50 G mellophone
Henri Gautier Cornet C/Bb/A -1919
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you figure out which Reeves mac would fit your rim surface/bite needs and use the most shallow backbone/underpart for your lead playing? I've finally downsized from the Schilke 19 I used for nearly 40 years to a Schilke 15 for the orchestral work and also use a Reeves 42M692 for the commercial. I have a line on a 42SV692 I may try but the standard 42M692 gives me the presence and extra zing I like for playing lead in the summer big band gigs.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just play the Jettone!! They work and have worked for countless players for decades!

Jettone has a unwarranted, bad reputation I never understood. They feel great, have a commercial sound, and help with endurance. The blanks look weird, comparatively, but so what?

Lots of reissues out there by lots of mouthpiece makers. The rims feel great and the unusual cup shape is a successful design. If you have one of the originals that works, I say stick with it.

Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't play a 6 hour gig on a Bach .5 A you're a wuss.

Ever tried a Yamaha Bobby Shew Lead? I played a Jet-Tone T1A for years, I find the Yamaha to be far superior.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
If you can't play a 6 hour gig on a Bach .5 A you're a wuss.

Ever tried a Yamaha Bobby Shew Lead? I played a Jet-Tone T1A for years, I find the Yamaha to be far superior.

"Abyssus abyssum invocat"!!! But I do have a `diverīs licenceī.....
Bit old though....(The "Abyss" - James Cameron came to my mind)
Well, during the 80-ties I played 4 hour gigs, lead on a Bach 1 1/4.
Obviously I have turned into a wuss

Lots of recommendations so I foresee a meandering safaritrail. But I might end up in faraway places. Marcinkiewicz E14 Bobby Shew #1 sounds interesting, rounded rim appeals to me for some reason). Looked it up at "Thomann.de"; diam. 16,81.
The Marcinkiewicz E12.4 Roger Ingram is 16,51 - might be better?
The Reeves also might come in "bandy". Very expensive over here
Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz another option (couldnīt find "lead").
Sigh..... :
Maybe testing out what I already have....would staunch the safari?
On the other hand......
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quoting myself so here I am again: Last night, at a hard rehearsal, I went back to my previous pieces, the Jettone and the "Lead". Finding that all of a sudden I had a hard time hitting certain partials; as if my ability to "find" a common (high) B, C# etc. had dwindled. The aforementioned S 11A did not give me problems at all in this area - on the contrary I found it very easy to "pinpoint" whatever note.
Iīm the common denominator so maybe the Lead etc. discloses a weakness in my blowing - or - could it be that these pieces are more difficult in these respects? Your opinions please!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switching back and forth between different pieces, especially changing rim sizes, will inevitably cause inconsistency, in my experience.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
Quoting myself so here I am again: Last night, at a hard rehearsal, I went back to my previous pieces, the Jettone and the "Lead". Finding that all of a sudden I had a hard time hitting certain partials; as if my ability to "find" a common (high) B, C# etc. had dwindled. The aforementioned S 11A did not give me problems at all in this area - on the contrary I found it very easy to "pinpoint" whatever note.
Iīm the common denominator so maybe the Lead etc. discloses a weakness in my blowing - or - could it be that these pieces are more difficult in these respects? Your opinions please!

My opinion...
These types of pieces are less forgiving, so any chop confusion at all caused by switching between pieces will hit you where it hurts (results) quite quickly.
Soit's even more important to settle for a decent compromise quickly and really build those reassuring habits/muscle-memory - that's where the good results lie.

If you feel the 11a gives you a good compromise that works for you (whether it would for anyone else or not) then give it a healthy try - if you feel the previous pieces worked better, go back to one of them and hit the shed.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
Seymor B Fudd wrote:

My opinion...
These types of pieces are less forgiving, so any chop confusion at all caused by switching between pieces will hit you where it hurts (results) quite quickly.
Soit's even more important to settle for a decent compromise quickly and really build those reassuring habits/muscle-memory - that's where the good results lie.

If you feel the 11a gives you a good compromise that works for you (whether it would for anyone else or not) then give it a healthy try - if you feel the previous pieces worked better, go back to one of them and hit the shed.

Thanks!
Previously I have alternatively used the Jettone and the Brand, having the same issues, blaming only myself. So when I found this old S11A I observed that it immediately gave me control; leadpiece or not. I have been told it is a piccola mpc, rather wide backbore; maybe thatīs why I got so tired?
So the very construction of the thing interests me.
Same kind of rim, same depth, but more narrow backbore??Out there??
The Roger Ingram?? Same diam at least.
Sorry to bother you all but but...
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
TKSop wrote:
Seymor B Fudd wrote:

My opinion...

Thanks!
Previously I have alternatively used the Jettone and the Brand, having the same issues, blaming only myself. So when I found this old S11A I observed that it immediately gave me control; leadpiece or not. I have been told it is a piccola mpc, rather wide backbore; maybe thatīs why I got so tired?

If you've got the control you want and it's just endurance lacking then will a bit more practice with it help?
Or do you definitely need to hone the setup a bit?

The C backbore is a bit bigger than a Bach 10, but it's not stupidly huge - the standard 11A does come with a 26 throat as well.
There's another version of the 11A that comes with a bigger backbore and a 27 throat (the 11AX) which is aimed at the picc market perhaps even moreso than the standard model.

If the rim and cup really suit you, two obvious thoughts:
1) Contact Schilke and have them make you an 11A with either an "A" or "B" backbore, so you keep the same rim and cup, but with a little more support and zip from the backbore... you could likewise have them make it with a 27 throat.
2) Contact someone like Jim New with scans of popular pieces and have them make you a two-piece with that top and then you can find a backbore that matches it better for you.

I'd urge caution with stated diameters...
I find the figures that Marcink publishes can easily be a little bit confusing if you're trying to relate them to another makers pieces - they're consistent within their own line, but the ID they publish for a piece is usually a considerably higher number than many other manufacturers will put on a piece that *feels* the same size.
Great pieces without question.
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no easy road, first of all.

Secondly, using a fly fishing rod to catch a shark probably won't work out very well. It's not cheating or taking the easy way out to use the right tool for the job.

I'd rather suggest your loss of endurance might be to over practicing high register. Many pros will balance out their practice so that if they have heavy, loud, high stuff they'll invest equal amounts of lighter, softer or lower stuff. Overblowing is another cause of rapid decline.

Stick with the Schilke for a couple more weeks. Are you bottoming out on the mouthpiece? Is it too shallow? Can you get good response in the low end of the horn as well?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
TKSop wrote:
Seymor B Fudd wrote:

My opinion...

Thanks!

Hi Seymor

If your mouthpiece is a Schilke 11A, then I think that it will have the standard Schilke "c" backbore. It is the 11AX, which has the large "x" backbore for piccolo trumpet.

i.e. http://www.schilkemusic.com/products/mouthpieces/mouthpiece-labeling-system/

I'd say yes, via the Kanstul modular mouthpiece system. Even though I believe your 11A has a standard "c" backbore, since you are using it for lead, you could try pairing it with a Kanstul SA or SB (copy of a Schilke "a" or "b" backbore respectively), or any of the Kanstul more commercial backbores.

Additionally, the Schilke mouthpieces have a 26 throat as standard, whereas the Kanstul modular components have a 27 throat, to allow you to mix tops and backbores between the copies of component from different manufacturers. This should hopefully aid endurance.

The only downside with this of course, is if the improvement in accuracy in pitching the right high note with larger interval jumps, is owing to the larger throat and backbore.

I really hope that this will help.

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: