• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Almost like the trumpet player who could chew glass.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Almost like the trumpet player who could chew glass. Reply with quote

I'm kind of making an analogy. Comparing trumpet players with incredibly strong chops to that guy in the movies and on television who did that trick with a wine glass. Biting off a chunk of sharp glass and making it look like he was chewing it.

He probably didn't actually chew it of course but it looks so darn real and he so scary dangerous that he claimed the trick had kept him out of more than a few bar fights. And with some really dangerous looking fellows. All turning tail and running.

And here is the comparison I wanted to make,

If you really want to intimidate your competition at a public trumpet audition? Learn to blow that "pressure-less double C" like Roy Roman does on his Youtube video. With the trumpet valve casing laying only on your palm. So as making it impossible to squeeze the notes out with just arm pressure.

Do it outside the practice area where the other guys can see and hear you. Better yet have a friend acting as your confederate and bug you to do it.

"Come on Jack, now just one more time PLEASE?!"

Where all the boys can watch (and melt). Especially effective if you can get lots of heat on the final C.

It is an unbelievably intimidating trick. Lol.

Of course its not so easy to do either... You know but set a goal and reach it. Work for it! It's kinda the old "fastest gun in the West" ego boost. But can I do it?

Maybe...

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be more impressed to hear someone double-tongue Moto Perpetuo at full tempo, but that's just me.

Steve
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing Allen Vizzutti doing a clinic on YouTube, where he had a gal blow a very thin stream of air, then gradually brought a trumpet up to her lips, and out came a crazy high note!

Being able to blow crazy high notes does impress people... being in tune up there impresses the hell out of me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: