• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn Connquest cornet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Conn Connquest cornet Reply with quote

Waiting on delivery of Conn Connquest cornet. My Conn Connquest trumpet is in the shop awaiting a repair estimate.
Vincent Bach 5 B short shank mouthpiece
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

76A?
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: 76 a or 77 a Reply with quote

Not sure. But I am waiting on reply from seller. Photos didn't show. Should be delivered in a few days.
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
76A?

Oh, yes, that 76a. It's a pretty little thing that can bark and wail and sing!

I once won one of those on eBay. Compared to basic Director it's somewhat a step up horn in build quality. At least mine was.
Unfortunately I participated in a "dimmed pictures" auction and on horn arrival I found it somewhat beat up, but not completely FUBARed. It was overall intact with no major damage but not something I'd want to keep.
I got a repair estimate and after hearing a quote I decided to sell it locally.
Luckily the guy who bought it from me was getting back into playing after long break and he didn't care about the horn's condition much.
After all it played OK like many beat up horns that come from the famous bargain site.
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Conn-Connquest-Cornet-/232239513018

Quite often they are beat up. Once in awhile a good one will pop up on that site. If that happens the bidding may end up pretty high, well, of course compared to basic student horns. They are sought after but I never wanted another one for some reason.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Conn Connquest cornet Reply with quote

I bought this cornet for $25.00 plus shipping for a total of $41.00 dollars. So I don't expect much.

Waiting on the estimate for repairing my newly purchased Conn Connquest trumpet. One valve has no finish on it, one is oversized,but the last one does fit. There are wavey lines on the valve block, so valve block may have to be replaced. Didn't see numbers on the piston valves. Aren't there any or did I miss it?

Other than that trumpet is in great shape.

For some reason, I have always wanted a Conn Connquest cornet and missed out on bidding a few times. Also like the idea of having Conn Connquest cornet and trumpet.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend looking for a decent cornet and I offered to sell him my 76A Connquest for $200. Maybe that price is too low?...

Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Conn Connquest cornet Reply with quote

jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:
...One valve has no finish on it, one is oversized,but the last one does fit. There are wavey lines on the valve block, so valve block may have to be replaced....Other than that trumpet is in great shape...

That's quite a serious problem in my book.
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I have a friend looking for a decent cornet and I offered to sell him my 76A Connquest for $200. Maybe that price is too low?...

Wow! Yours is in a great shape. I'd grab it without thinking.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: delivery Reply with quote

Received the 1968 Conn Connquest 76 A cornet today. In real good shape, plays well. Do need to replace the corks. felts and find a push rod and screw. My spare push rod is too big. Does a universal push rod work on the Conns.

The quality of workmanship over the student models I have owed is amazing.

Last edited by jondrowjf@gmail.com on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're talking about the 3rd slide finger ring, they take a special one that's bent up at an angle. You can make one from a straight one, though.

Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Conn Connquest cornet Reply with quote

jondrowjf wrote:

Waiting on the estimate for repairing my newly purchased Conn Connquest trumpet. One valve has no finish on it, one is oversized,but the last one does fit. There are wavey lines on the valve block, so valve block may have to be replaced.

The oversized piston can be lapped in by your tech. You might be able to get a replacement piston from:
http://classictrumpet.com/

Or look for another Connquest trumpet or cornet with the same piston valve guide design that has good valves but has a body too damaged to rate repairing. There are different types of valve guide setups for the Connquest trumpets and cornets depending on the year. Some of the later models have a valve guide "basket" like the Connstellations.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy for information. Went to a techs shop,were I left my trumpet. He wasn't there and neither was the trumpet. Left a message waiting on his assessment.

So a replacement valve casing has to be the same model or brand? Depending on cost or my patience, don't mind using parts from different brands.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a 77A Connquest. Small bore. Finally. Conn 4 mouthpiece. Been playing it all afternoon. I love small bore horns.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: tuning slide Reply with quote

Since there is not a traditional tuning slide on this cornet , do I use the bottom slide instead?

Thanks for your input.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the tuning slide is the one in the bell tubing beside the 3rd valve slide. Same arrangement that was used on the Olds Recording cornet.
robcs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to resurrect this thread as I'm the proud new owner of a 1963 large bore 76A Connquest which I picked up for a song.

Hasn't arrived yet, but it looks in good shape, and the seller said it's been cleaned and serviced. If the listing is accurate, the valves and slides are in great shape, no and the finish is good for its age.

I've been looking for a large bore horn and this one came up I'd bid before I thought about what I was doing lol

Any tips on how to get the best out of it? I'm used to a ML shepherds crook cornet with a DW heavytop 4B - I suspect this is a very different beast. Correct?
Flgh: Jupiter 846RL
WX5 just because
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use your Wick on it. Even though the bore is huge, it's not that noticeable when playing it. Speaking of the 76A, I still have mine (my friend didn't buy it). I've listed it on a couple cornet facebook pages, but I probably need to list it here on the Marketplace too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: