• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mt Vernon Bach Mercedes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBrassBandMajor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Mt Vernon Bach Mercedes Reply with quote

Are the Mt Vernon Mercedes trumpets good? Are they good as the Mt Vernon era Stradivarius trumpets?

I am wondering because I might get an opportunity to buy a main axe that will stay with me for around 1/2 decade to a decade. Is it good to buy a expensive Mt Vernon Strad or a light bit cheaper Mercedes from the Mt Vernon era?

The strad is like 800 bucks more expensive.
A.Windisch Silber-Deluxe, Dresden
Couesnon 'Triebert Moderne' piccolo
Conn 'Connstellation' 28A
SO many more trumpets.....
brass crusader

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't waste your money on a Mercedes. I've owned 3 of them over the years from various eras, as well as a bunch of Mt. Vernon and NY Bbs. Get a good Mt. Vernon Strad and call it a day. The Mercedes just don't have the same fit and finish, and I always wound up selling or trading them away. First NY Bach I ever owned was a Mercedes. Kept it around for a year or so and then got rid of it.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a late 60s Mercedes. Kind of a dog.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early Mt. Vernon Mercedes trumpets are nothing like the later Mercedes models. They are basically Strads with less nickel trim. I have owned a couple over the years and they were fine horns.

I agree that the Elkhart era Mercedes models are a step below the Strad in terms of playing quality.

To the OP:

If you decide not to buy the Mercedes, I would be interested in it.

Sincerely,

Steve Allison
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Hempley wrote an article about the Bach Mercedes. Anybody interested in knowing the history and development of this model should look for the article. I would post a link but I don't know where the article is located.ell

I had an early Elkhart Mercedes, 41XXX. It had a great sound, but it was a very tight blowing horn. The bell was made out of a very thick gauge brass, so I put a 37 Strad bell on the horn. It was still a very tight horn, so I sold it.
steevo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a NY Mercedes, circa 1942, that is a few serial numbers away from one of the ones in the Roy Hempley article. Medium bore, 37 bell (one piece) and 7 pipe. The "exceptionally tight" valves were no longer in that condition. I had it restored last year by Charlie Melk, and am very pleased with this horn. It is every bit as good as a 1941 medium bore Strad I used to own.

It is hard to have hard and fast rules when talking about instruments that are 55+ years old. My advise is to play it, and buy it if you like it.
TheBrassBandMajor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info folks,
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
Roy Hempley wrote an article about the Bach Mercedes. Anybody interested in knowing the history and development of this model should look for the article. I would post a link but I don't know where the article is located.ell

I had an early Elkhart Mercedes, 41XXX. It had a great sound, but it was a very tight blowing horn. The bell was made out of a very thick gauge brass, so I put a 37 Strad bell on the horn. It was still a very tight horn, so I sold it.
checkout the Mercedes article at vincentbachsworld.com. As is the case with all 50 plus year old instruments ,you gotta check them out individually. There are five distinct variations of the Mercedes model and some that are unique. Check out the article for details.
TheBrassBandMajor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a fan of Mr Hempley's articles. I study them. My favourites are the Mercedes, rotary trumpets and Mercury line article.s

I was just wanting to hear the TH users' opinions of the Mercedes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: