• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette resonance reviews?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johannesglenna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject: Monette resonance reviews? Reply with quote

Have anyone tried the monette resonance mouthpieces? Can you leave a review and explain your experiences?
Besson Sovereign 928S Hand-craftet 80s-mod.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a Monette B2M S3, and decided to try the Resonance version. Compared to the regular LT weight B2M S3 I didn't notice a significant difference. There is a slightly different character to the sound of the Resonance, but it didn't necessarily sound "better," just different.

The difference in the character of the sound between regular STC weight and the Resonance was a bit more pronounced, but still slight (to me).
danny45635
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My C6S1 resonance mouthpiece arrived the other day. It's feels slightly different than the normal STC mouthpieces in my opinion. I wasn't able to hear a huge difference in sound, but I haven't compared it in a large hall yet. I felt like there was a ever so slightly easier upper register. At the moment I prefer the regular STC models, but I can't say I've adjusted to the resonance mouthpiece yet.
aholt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is with Monette's has been mostly on C trumpet. I used to play on a C1-5 classic, upgraded to a C15s3 prana in the stc blank. The difference between those two was astounding in itself. With the STC prana mouthpiece I often had to blow more or less air to aid in the production of different notes on the horn. No two notes had the same "blow". With the resonance, every note more or less has the same blow, while also being slightly less free blowing than the stc model. They market this affect as "faster and more even response" and I could agree.
Now the thing that I noticed the most, and this might be just me.... it seemed to sound much brighter behind the horn, kind of like switching to their LT weight of the same mouthpiece just for the sake of hearing yourself a little better outdoors or in really loud groups. With that said, i have recorded myself playing and comparing STC vs resonance in large spaces numerous times and can say that somehow the resonance sounds relatively the same outfront as it does behind the bell. In many cases I find the old classic and prana stc weights always sounded dull behind the bell, but my recordings always told me that it sounds plenty clear outfront. The resonance to me makes it so that I can hear what the audience hears... In the end it's just a more efficient tool to help trumpet players stop thinking too much and to just make music.
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to every other mouthpiece I've tried, the Resonance B3FS7 model tops them all in terms of sound, intonation, flexibility, range, and of course Resonance. My experience with the newest model has been wonderful. The sound is extremely 'present' and seems to fill the space around you. After playing excerpts from Mahler 5 and other pieces, I knew it was a keeper. I'm looking to change to a Resonance Prana B6S1. Hopefully it will be even better than this piece, which is hard to believe.
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own classic Prana, classic older STD and new Resonance (all B2S3). The Resonance pretty much follows what Monette describes on his web site. A little livelier sound and attacks are more instant. Easier upper register. It feels/blows closer to a non-Monette mpc than the Prana or the older STC. I notice, like other Monettes, when my chops tire I go down hill pretty noticeably and the attributes of the Resonance dissipate. More than with "conventional" mpcs. I get more compliments from other trpt players when playing the Resonance and most pick it over any other mpc I use.

Last week I was demoing different mpcs before a rehearsal and a respected trpt player walked by and remarked about the Resonance, "That's the mpc you should use!". I whined that it's not that easy when my chops are tired and he said, "Then work on it."

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting reading people's experiences with how the Resonance fit in with them between the old Monette lines and non-Monette pieces. I like the pitch, slotting, rim comfort, and response I get from Monettes, but I like the sound I get on my Curry better (the Curry rims feel nice too). And interestingly, it's always been unanimous when I ask other people that they like the sound of the Curry too. They say it sounds like there is more focus and core to the sound on my Curry, whereas the Monette sounds broader and more diffuse.

I'd be curious to try the Resonance sometime, maybe when they've filtered into the marketplace a bit more and are easier to get used. People seem to be saying they have more brilliance, but I wonder if they have any more focus or core compared to the traditional Monette lines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: