• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Vibrato

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RS_flyer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Vibrato Reply with quote

Does anyone have any tips to learn vibrato? I've been told both about shaking the trumpet and making a yawning sound to create the effect. Is one method better than the other? Are there other methods commonly used?
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a video lesson from two very good British Brass Band cornet players, Richard Marshall and Roger Webster. The vibrato they use might be faster and deeper than might be suitable for the music you play, but their tips on how to develop vibrato skills are good.

Here's a video lesson from Barbara Hull on using hand vibrato with trumpet playing.
Piccolo Stomvi
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Vibrato Reply with quote

RS_flyer wrote:
Does anyone have any tips to learn vibrato? I've been told both about shaking the trumpet and making a yawning sound to create the effect. Is one method better than the other? Are there other methods commonly used?

Will it be more easy or difficult to work on your vibrato now that you have your five posts, and your Bach trumpet in the marketplace?
Mr.ozinsky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vibrato Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
RS_flyer wrote:

Will it be more easy or difficult to work on your vibrato now that you have your five posts, and your Bach trumpet in the marketplace?

It's okay, grammar is hard.

I typically teach two kinds of vibrato. A hand vibrato on the lead pipe, and a jaw vibrato. I find both work well depending on the situation. Both can be self taught based on listening and recreating a desired sound. Just like everything else on the horn, it takes time.
Cheyenne Symphony
Anthony Barrington

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to some great trumpeters and imitate their vibrato. But also learn when to NOT use vibrato (refer to Leonore trumpet calls)
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Vibrato Reply with quote

Mr.ozinsky wrote:
trumpet.sanity wrote:
RS_flyer wrote:

It's okay, grammar is hard. .

I enjoy good snark and being so very clever to catch grammar errors found on Internet forums. Well done on both fronts.

That said, you're answering questions, and being the internet froum "helper" for a ghost. The OP made five quick posts, so he was able to post and try and sell a trumpet in the market place.

So I guess I'd rather have less than perfect grammar usage, instead of being a chump.
ATrumpetBrony
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vibrato Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:

I enjoy good snark and being so very clever to catch grammar errors found on Internet forums. Well done on both fronts.

That said, you're answering questions, and being the internet froum "helper" for a ghost. The OP made five quick posts, so he was able to post and try and sell a trumpet in the market place.

So I guess I'd rather have less than perfect grammar usage, instead of being a chump.

trumpet.sanity, I've said it before - it was funny the first time. Now I feel like these sort of "attacks" on ALL new people are a little bit malicious. For every guy coming in to do make a buck on his horn, there comes 6 guys genuinely looking for help with their playing. I mean, clearly this method of "pointing them out" doesn't work, eh? Given that folks are still streaming in and getting their stuff posted. Sure, it brings a public eye to the "issue" (if it really even is that), but ultimately I don't see anyone else complaining, and I furthermore don't see the "problem" being solved by posts like this.

I mean, take from this what you want to... I don't mean to defend or condone stuff like that (signing up here just to get a horn sold), but it sort of tarnishes the freedom of the community when every single newcomer is scrutinized on their fifth post to see if they're "true" or not.

It's not what you play...
It's HOW you play
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vibrato Reply with quote

ATrumpetBrony wrote:
trumpet.sanity wrote:

trumpet.sanity, I've said it before - it was funny the first time. Now I feel like these sort of "attacks" on ALL new people are a little bit malicious. For every guy coming in to do make a buck on his horn, there comes 6 guys genuinely looking for help with their playing. I mean, clearly this method of "pointing them out" doesn't work, eh? Given that folks are still streaming in and getting their stuff posted. Sure, it brings a public eye to the "issue" (if it really even is that), but ultimately I don't see anyone else complaining, and I furthermore don't see the "problem" being solved by posts like this.

I mean, take from this what you want to... I don't mean to defend or condone stuff like that (signing up here just to get a horn sold), but it sort of tarnishes the freedom of the community when every single newcomer is scrutinized on their fifth post to see if they're "true" or not.

I think you're exaggerating....this guy, the OP made his five posts, tried to sell his Bach immediately after his fifth post then disappeared.

I may have made ONE other comment about a poster with his five posts. You can check if you like.

Finally the guy who's post I was responding to made a snarky comment about my grammar, which...whatever...then I was informing him he was responding to the OP who is a ghost since his 5th post, and possible sale in the market place.

I appreciate your jumping in, and looking out for the "perceived bullied" new guy but, you can check my posts. I think I've made a total of two comments about 5 time fly-by posters to get the ability to sell in the market place.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the OPer is still interested, I'll offer the following:

For easiest vibrato production, start with a slight back and forth (almost circular) motion of your right hand as you sustain an easily-produced tone. The movement must come from a relaxed wrist, like the vibrato produced by string players and one should not attempt to "shake" the instrument- just a subtle movement that is transferred from the fingertips to the valve buttons. It will not take much effort if the wrist is relaxed and free. On long tones one can begin with an eighth note pattern, then move to eighth note triplets, then to sixteenth notes, etc., controlling the rhythm and tone. Listen carefully to the sound and do not let the pitch sag flat as you do this. Once you control the rhythmic motions you should start accelerating and slowing the effect, and through musical expression and lots of listening to fine singers and players of other instruments (as well as trumpet players), you'll learn how to turn it on and off effectively.

For what I'd label "jaw" vibrato, i suggest one start with long tone production using a "too-woo-woo-woo" effect- "too" being the initial breath release and the "woo-woo..." motion being used through the sustained tone. Again, movement must be subtle and relaxed or you'll sound nervous if you affect the tone with any vibrato effect at all. The rest of the wrist/hand vibrato suggestions above can then be applied to this, especially the note not to allow the pitch to go flat as one is creating the effect.

It is also possible to use a breathing apparatus/"diaphragm" vibrato as used by most flute players but I have never found much use for it on trumpet. perhaps I just don't attempt it since the jaw and wrist vibratos cover most of what I need from Mariachi to symphonic playing. Good luck.
BradJones

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of players in British Brass Bands will move their lips to create vibrato. I don't know how much I would recommend this method though.
mk-trumpet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not using the smartest method to create vibrato: with the tongue?
With up and down movement of the tongue you can create slow, quick, hard, soft vibratos and you don't see anything from outside.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: