• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Nice work if you can get it....?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpter1 wrote:
There is no easy road, first of all.

Secondly, using a fly fishing rod to catch a shark probably won't work out very well. It's not cheating or taking the easy way out to use the right tool for the job.

I'd rather suggest your loss of endurance might be to over practicing high register. Many pros will balance out their practice so that if they have heavy, loud, high stuff they'll invest equal amounts of lighter, softer or lower stuff. Overblowing is another cause of rapid decline.

Stick with the Schilke for a couple more weeks. Are you bottoming out on the mouthpiece? Is it too shallow? Can you get good response in the low end of the horn as well?

Thanks for the efforts put into helping me!
Louise: I understand now that the 11A has the standard Schilke backbore; would a somewhat tighter backbore aid endurance? On the other hand the S14A4a wasnŽt better than the S14A4 (both "weird" to me)
tpter1: probably IŽm guilty of overblowing, "in the heat of the night"; no bottoming out; good response in low register; too shallow? - seemingly a trifle less shallow than the "leads" ; too much high register practise? Nope, probably the other way around (I have to practise a lot on my cornet, register G below staff to C above staff - might be this is the crucial variable - switching between lead and solocornet/brassband. I remember switching between Eb soprano and leadtrumpet was smoother. Kinda same register/lipformation?!
Probably much simpler if only one "occupation".
Sigh.....
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
tpter1 wrote:
There is no easy road, first of all.

Secondly, using a fly fishing rod to catch a shark probably won't work out very well. It's not cheating or taking the easy way out to use the right tool for the job.

I'd rather suggest your loss of endurance might be to over practicing high register. Many pros will balance out their practice so that if they have heavy, loud, high stuff they'll invest equal amounts of lighter, softer or lower stuff. Overblowing is another cause of rapid decline.

Stick with the Schilke for a couple more weeks. Are you bottoming out on the mouthpiece? Is it too shallow? Can you get good response in the low end of the horn as well?

Thanks for the efforts put into helping me!

Hi Seymor

You are very welcome.

Louise: I understand now that the 11A has the standard Schilke backbore; would a somewhat tighter backbore aid endurance?

Technically, a tighter backbore should add resistance which should aid endurance, but in practise, I believe that a player probably obtains better endurance with what is an ideal level of resistance for them.

Too much resistance tires me out just as much as too little, but in a different way. A too open set-up feels great at first, but I suddenly tire in a way that is not so quickly recoverable for me. Conversely, a too resistant set-up feels like my embouchure is trying to be blown apart, which seems particularly apparent on loud fast passages, but I quickly recover with a short break.

A perfect example is playing big band style numbers on my Yamaha Xeno cornet with my Kanstul 3C set-up. If I play too loud and approach this set-up like my trumpet, I'm quickly exhausted as this set-up will not take the amount of air which I am putting through it, and backs up on me, which affects my endurance. If we then play the same number again straight off, and this time I don't play so loud, I easily have enough endurance to get through the piece.

I'm wondering if trying Kanstul modular component versions of the cup and backbore of your Schilke 11A, which have a 27 rather than 26 throat, would be sufficient to increase the resistance a little whilst not making much difference to the playability.

On the other hand the S14A4a wasnŽt better than the S14A4 (both "weird" to me)

I understand. Whether this would be the case on the 11A, I just don't know, as the same backbore may seem different with a different top.

Take Care

Lou

tpter1: probably IŽm guilty of overblowing, "in the heat of the night"; no bottoming out; good response in low register; to shallow? - seemingly a trifle less shallow than the "leads" ; to much high register practise? Nope, probably the other way around (I have to practise a lot on my cornet, register G below staff to C above staff - might be this is the crucial variable - switching between lead and solocornet/brassband. I remember switching between Eb soprano and leadtrumpet was smoother. Kinda same register/lipformation?!
Probably much simpler if only one "occupation".
Sigh.....
j
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
The 14A4a is base on the Purviance 4*K4, employing a special tighter A backbore and was designed for Forrest Buchtell Jr., the 13A4a is based on the Reeves 42SV (2SV at the time) and was made for Mike Vax,

Great info! Is Schilke's a backbore designed to be the same on every piece?

I'm also noticing I have never encountered a B backbore from Schilke. Some guys prefer the A4 cup/rim with a bigger backbore, some say the C backbore isn't zippy enough. No A4b?
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
during the 80-ties I played 4 hour gigs, lead on a Bach 1 1/4.

Arturo Sandoval always played a 1.5 C. I have a copy of it and sound great on it, but the top of my range goes AWOL and I wouldn't want to test my endurance either. Now he plays a 1.25 C for everything and admits it's harder, but loves the sound. I sound great on my 1.25 C, but lead? No.

You guys make me sick

I still have a zillion mpcs., even after selling the other zillion, having tried "everything" to find what works best for me in those demanding lead situations. And it definitely did increase my range, and only later could I get that on other mpcs. The folks who say a mpc won't add range make me scratch my head.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:

IŽm the common denominator so maybe the Lead etc. discloses a weakness in my blowing - or - could it be that these pieces are more difficult in these respects? Your opinions please!

There are mpcs. that "train" your playing, and there are mpcs to use on the gig.

My Pickett 7E is the answer to all your problems, obviously. [/jk]

Switching around a lot can contribute to accuracy problems. You were most accurate on what you've practiced the most on? Not really surprising.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:

If the rim and cup really suit you, two obvious thoughts:
1) Contact Schilke and have them make you an 11A with either an "A" or "B" backbore, so you keep the same rim and cup, but with a little more support and zip from the backbore... you could likewise have them make it with a 27 throat.

THIS.

Keep your 11A and practice on it, until you find something that works better. I would suggest trying the B backbore rather than the A. And a #27 drill, which you would have to specify to avoid the standard #26. (My fav for lead is actually #28, which you could also order if they were making something custom for you)

TKSop wrote:

2) Contact someone like Jim New with scans of popular pieces and have them make you a two-piece with that top and then you can find a backbore that matches it better for you.

I have long used 2-piece mpcs to be able to dial in resistance etc via changing backbores. Recently I even went so far as to get everything cut for sleeves, so I can always have my ideal gap even when playing different horns.

Jim New is the best in the business, but his copy of a Schilke 11A won't be as close to the 11A the OP is playing as what Schilke would make for him, I bet. It might be better? It would be interesting to see Schilke make an 11A top, compatible with everybody's screw on backbores!

Somebody mentioned a really soft bite helping them. Jim New made me a custom rim, which has the sharpness of his W rim, coupled to his S rim. Came out exactly as expected, works wonderfully for me, and he had it in my hands in a matter of days!
Gartex1960

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Nice work if you can get it....? Reply with quote

I have found nothing improves Lead playing more than listening and practice!
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Nice work if you can get it....? Reply with quote

Gartex1960 wrote:
I have found nothing improves Lead playing more than listening and practice!

AinŽt nothing wrong with my listening....been listening since 1968; even recorded swingtunes (from Lp) with my old Sony taperecorder, band in one channel me in the other and the scores in front of me.
But I keep on; sometimes I have the opportunity to sit in in another (good) band with the lead man next to me (a buddy of mine, very very experienced, pro class) and every time I find something new......
Practise more, well IŽm doing my very best - sometimes "it" seems "getable"
But this business with the mpc:s....
Since I live far away from mpc cutters I will have to put up with stock pieces.
But nevertheless I understand the ideas behind these posts - pointing to this and that. Backbore is essential, maybe the B type would add something, as does the throat. But the A bore is zippy, at least in front of my lips...
Basically my problem is endurance. Or?
Better stop now or I will never find my way out. At least for this very moment.
IŽll be back! (he was an endurable guy...)
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
halfgreek12
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try playing the first few tunes at least with an ear plug in. You'll be able to hear yourself through your head and won't be tempted to overblow the piece.

Steve
Arjuna
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overblowing is a very common mistake that many players make even experienced pros. I used to always bring my own monitor to be able to hear myself that way I didn't have to overblow trying to compete with too loud rhythm sections who are not listening enough. With that said I would try a Jim New 11A top or he can copy anything you want if you want your version. Try a Giardinelli #3 backbore with the 11A top. From the sound of things the C backbore is too big for lead. Also I would do a #27 throat bore for more zip and zing. The Giardinelli #3 backbore was what Maynard Ferguson played, Clark Terry and many other greats, a great backbore that is very efficient and an amazing sound. The Purviance backbore is quite nice, efficient, easy to play and has an almost nostalgic sound, very versatile. Jim New has the Purviance backbore.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfgreek12 wrote:
Try playing the first few tunes at least with an ear plug in. You'll be able to hear yourself through your head and won't be tempted to overblow the piece.

Steve

CouldnŽt refrain myself from disclosing that 1)I do most of my practise (when wifeŽs at home) with the Yamaha Silent gadget 2)Since time immemorial I have been using earplugs. Latest 15 years custom made dampers, 15-25 dB; since January 2017 the Etymotic Active dampers (start shutting down at 70 dB).
But still you may be right - the gig I complained about - I had the 3:rd trumpeter beside me, and further left was guitar and bass. (with amplifiers..) Eardeafening....I heard nothing more than barely myself. So it is guite possible I did overblow.
Arjuna - I hear you talking to me, pointing to what others also have said - the Schilke standard backbore seems to be not that suited to lead play.
Although my friend the pro uses a 15A4 with standard backbore. But he is a pro which I am (definitevely) not.
And to those of you who recommends Jim New and customization etc - as I live "on the other side of the pond" its a bit complicated. I might approach Schilke, done that in the past. Found them very cordial and service minded.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Seymor

I live in England and have had no difficulties working with Jim New via email and mail order.

Regarding endurance and ease of upper register attainment, there are the two variables in which as consistent as I feel that my playing generally is nowadays, owing to I believe having kept to the same set-up for a long time, that I notice slight day to day variation, depending on how physically tired I feel, whether I'm fully relaxed etc.

I am wondering whether one gig is sufficient to ascertain your long term endurance on a set-up.

Best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Hi Seymor

I live in England and have had no difficulties working with Jim New via email and mail order.

Regarding endurance and ease of upper register attainment, there are the two variables in which as consistent as I feel that my playing generally is nowadays, owing to I believe having kept to the same set-up for a long time, that I notice slight day to day variation, depending on how physically tired I feel, whether I'm fully relaxed etc.

I am wondering whether one gig is sufficient to ascertain your long term endurance on a set-up.

Best wishes
Lou

Louise!

Probably you make a correct observation. One gig is insufficient as the basis for adding another one to the scrap-pile. I should know that, with my experience in doing research....
Yesterday I tested my standard lead piece (since early autumn), the Brand thing and as a matter of fact my deliverance got better by the minute... ; however playing the S11A I have a decent deliverance right away....
Well, I will have to work this out all by myself - sooner or later I will arrive at some conclusion. I hope
However, at the same time I fancy the idea of V-cups being better than C-cups and...........
And IŽll ponder over of the fact that Jim New....
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
Hi Seymor

Best wishes
Lou

Louise!

Hi Seymor

Probably you make a correct observation. One gig is insufficient as the basis for adding another one to the scrap-pile. I should know that, with my experience in doing research....

I at least think I'm right. I believe that the human variable, e.g. how your lip is on the day, is also a contributing factor. Some days for whatever reason, tiredness, stress, playing too loud, the particular pieces we are playing etc., my endurance can be not quite as good as another. I always believe that everyone has slight variations in certain attributes of their playing depending on the day, and as much as we practice to be as consistent as possible, that this is something which we have to accept and try to hide from the listener. I think one of the differences between pros and amateurs is how consistent we play despite the differences in us from day to day. Sorry, I appear to be ranting. I truly don't mean to. The point I'm trying to make is that probably even Arturo Sandoval has more endurance one day than the next, but that we would never know it.

Regarding the 11A, I think that it may be worth trying it for a bit to see whether you endurance really is reduced on it, or whether you just had less endurance that day.

Yesterday I tested my standard lead piece (since early autumn), the Brand thing and as a matter of fact my deliverance got better by the minute... ; however playing the S11A I have a decent deliverance right away....
Well, I will have to work this out all by myself - sooner or later I will arrive at some conclusion. I hope
However, at the same time I fancy the idea of V-cups being better than C-cups and...........

I imagine that the cup shape, V or U, is only one parameter which makes a mouthpiece better or worse for a player.

Regarding deciding which lead piece to choose, I believe that all mouthpieces are a compromise to some extent, and that you are probably unlikely to find one mouthpiece that excels in all areas.

I reckon that you have two main ways to choose between your mouthpieces, the efficient method of writing a list of different aspects of the playability of a mouthpiece which are important to you, which could include appropriateness of tone for the particular playing situation, intonation, accuracy, endurance, ease of articulations, ease of upper register, ease of dynamic control, rim comfort etc., and rating each mouthpiece on each item in the list, or simply to go with the mouthpiece that you like the best. Probably going with the mouthpiece you like the best is really the same thing, as what you like is probably based on how the mouthpiece performs in the areas which are important to you anyhow.

I really think that choosing one mouthpiece, sticking with it and playing particular attention to the playing attributes which are more difficult on this mouthpiece, is the best way to go long term.

You say that your deliverance (I presume when you say deliverance, you are referring to accuracy and cleanness of articulations) improves on the brand mouthpiece by the minute. If for example you were to go with this piece, and really work on this aspect of your playing with this mouthpiece, with time, you will hopefully be able to have the deliverance which you have immediately with the Schilke 11A, whilst maintaining all the things which you like better about the brand mouthpiece. The equivalent would be true if you chose the 11A. If your endurance really is slightly reduced on the 11A, devoting more of your practice time to developing your endurance on the 11A, will hopefully give you the same endurance on the 11A as you currently have on the brand, but with the greatest inital accuracy of the 11A.

And IŽll ponder over of the fact that Jim New....

He really knows his stuff and may be able to pin point which parameters of each mouthpiece are responsible for the playing attributes which you have on them, and suggest mouthpieces which will give you the best compromise.

Good luck with choosing your lead piece.

Best wishes

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou correctly points out how one's playing ability can vary from day to day.

I don't recall who wrote it, but I remember reading the following maxim regarding trumpet playing:

"You are only as good as the worst you might possibly play."

After hearing that, law school started sounding like a pretty good idea.

Steve
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:

I don't recall who wrote it, but I remember reading the following maxim regarding trumpet playing:

Steve

! Makes me recall a quote from one of the Heralders (sorry to have forgotten his name): " -I use to think I want to be perfect - but I had hoped I was better than that" - Or something in that direction....canŽt even remember that one perfectly. Sigh...
Lou: sure these bad days not only exist but sometimes just flourish...days when you should have stayed in bed, helmet on..
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
Winghorn wrote:

Steve

! Makes me recall a quote from one of the Heralders (sorry to have forgotten his name): " -I use to think I want to be perfect - but I had hoped I was better than that" - Or something in that direction....canŽt even remember that one perfectly. Sigh...

Hi Seymor

Very good!

Lou: sure these bad days not only exist but sometimes just flourish...days when you should have stayed in bed, helmet on..

I really hope that you don't have too many of these.

Regarding your 11A, I think that it may be an idea to ascertain whether you have less endurance with it, or the gig on which you tried it was just one on which for some reason you didn't quite have your usual endurance.

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Seymor B Fudd wrote:
Winghorn wrote:

Steve

Hi Seymor

Very good!

I really hope that you don't have too many of these.

Regarding your 11A, I think that it may be an idea to ascertain whether you have less endurance with it, or the gig on which you tried it was just one on which for some reason you didn't quite have your usual endurance.

Take Care

Lou

Thanks - no - helmet on is generally restricted to riding my bike (legs we have two, brain just one (in general )....
At large I am a positive (and stubborn) guy.
Yes - IŽll sort it out - if able to endure using it I get better tonal qualities, better accurary etc. A variable just comes to my mind: I am so thoroughly ingrained with that brass band sound that perhaps all shallow mouthpieces sound "hollow" to me? A lifetime playing the cornet....might affect your personality
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:

Thanks - no - helmet on is generally restricted to riding my bike (legs we have two, brain just one (in general )....

Hi Seymor

I understand, thanks.

At large I am a positive (and stubborn) guy.

Positive is good. Maybe you could swap determined for stubborn lol. Determined is good.

Yes - IŽll sort it out - if able to endure using it I get better tonal qualities, better accurary etc.

Does sound like it is working well. I still reckon that getting an 11A top from either Jim New or Kanstul with a 27 throat would be worth trying. Maybe the 27 throat would be enough on its own and you could stick with a modular copy of the standard Schilke C backbore of the 11A, if not, you'd then have the option of trying some more efficient backbores.

Additionally differences in accuracy and intonation could be attributed to different mouthpiece gaps, and it may be worth also experimenting with mouthpiece sleeves.

A variable just comes to my mind: I am so thoroughly ingrained with that brass band sound that perhaps all shallow mouthpieces sound "hollow" to me? A lifetime playing the cornet....might affect your personality

Maybe lol.

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: