• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Self-Recording

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Self-Recording Reply with quote

I have found that recording myself on a consistent basis the best thing I have *ever* done to improve my playing. I have done it occasionally in the past, but really picked up the habit last semester when I took voice. My voice prof required it -- I saw the difference it was making in my vocal quality, and decided to do it consistently with my trumpet. I record myself playing *something* every day.

I have also found that by practicing, and recording in a dead room it's easier to sound resonant and beautiful in a big room that allows your sound to develop. I used to dislike my sound up close, say reflecting off of a wall or music sound, but "thought" I sounded good in a big room -- I was amazed at how much better I sound in a big room once I got that up close sound centered and resonant.

If you don't record yourself now, start, and I promise you'll be amazed at the result (assuming you listen critically and adjust).

Came back to add:
It's also helpful to save the recordings and revisit them, and hear the progress you are making.
Arjuna
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-Recording Reply with quote

I find it best to record no more than 2 times per week.
The reason is it allows for more rest to the mind.
This gives more freedom to the creative process.
I actually prefer a room that allows you to open the sound.

jaysonr wrote:
I have found that recording myself on a consistent basis the best thing I have *ever* done to improve my playing. I have done it occasionally in the past, but really picked up the habit last semester when I took voice. My voice prof required it -- I saw the difference it was making in my vocal quality, and decided to do it consistently with my trumpet. I record myself playing *something* every day.

I have also found that by practicing, and recording in a dead room it's easier to sound resonant and beautiful in a big room that allows your sound to develop. I used to dislike my sound up close, say reflecting off of a wall or music sound, but "thought" I sounded good in a big room -- I was amazed at how much better I sound in a big room once I got that up close sound centered and resonant.

If you don't record yourself now, start, and I promise you'll be amazed at the result (assuming you listen critically and adjust).

Came back to add:
It's also helpful to save the recordings and revisit them, and hear the progress you are making.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Self-Recording Reply with quote

Arjuna wrote:
I find it best to record no more than 2 times per week.
The reason is it allows for more rest to the mind.
This gives more freedom to the creative process.
I actually prefer a room that allows you to open the sound.

That is interesting. I find it best to record myself once per practice session.
The reason is it gives me a gauge of where I am and where I need to be.
It keeps my creative process on track.
I enjoy playing in a room that lets me open my sound too, and it's even better since I have a good sound in a dull room.
Sycil

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

two things to add: 1. record with the metronome on
2. Listen to the recording again a week later.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started playing drums for one of the praise bands I was a part of for 5 years, they would record services every Sunday, and quickly copy the master to CDs on a CD copier (coped 5 or 6 at a time) and then distribute them as a CD ministry for $1 to anyone who wanted to revisit the service. I'd get copies, take them home and extract the praise tunes, and then listen to them throughout the week as a critique of what I needed to improve, and what I did well - that helped me zero in on a lot of things, and made me aware of certain things in my playing that I wasn't even aware I was doing until it was exposed on the recordings.

I think that being able to record yourself is a fantastic way to check your progress. I also think that home studio projects are a good way to dial in because you want the final product to be as good and polished as possible, so it ramps up your concentration and helps to bring things into a sharper focus on your playing.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
aTrumpetdude

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree recording yourself is super helpful. Sometimes it is just small things you will notice that you can pretty easily change and will have a huge impact on your playing.
1969 Conn 8b Artist
1980 238 CL
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm1qCev_sfof-Bfj5MAMLrQ
nkunkle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Self-Recording Reply with quote

I also find it helpful to slow down the recording (on my laptop using Audacity). It makes it sound more like a trombone, but you can really hear inconsistencies in articulation and evenness of tempo that are less noticeable in real-time. I especially like to use it for excerpts before auditions.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can record (including with a metronome) inside of the Tonal Energy app. Then play it back at various speeds, without the pitch being changed.

Warning: it will expose a lot of things you don't normally pick up on about your playing.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
...Tonal Energy app...

Warning: it will expose a lot of things you don't normally pick up on about your playing.

You aren't kidding! I might start a separate topic on this to see how others use the input from Tonal Energy to target areas for improvement in their playing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: