• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

See if you can guess why this happened.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: See if you can guess why this happened. Reply with quote

So, last night I was part of a recording. The subject of the recording was a new school song, for a new high school that doesn't actually exist yet.

Since there are no students, there is no band, or even a band hall yet. But the school song has been written.

Now, I'm curious if anyone can guess *why* they need a recording of this school song, when there are no students and not a single class will be held for quite a long time.

What do you think the critical event is that requires a recording of a school song?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got paid, what does it matter? If you did it for free, why?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: See if you can guess why this happened. Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
So, last night I was part of a recording. The subject of the recording was a new school song, for a new high school that doesn't actually exist yet.

Since there are no students, there is no band, or even a band hall yet. But the school song has been written.

Now, I'm curious if anyone can guess *why* they need a recording of this school song, when there are no students and not a single class will be held for quite a long time.

What do you think the critical event is that requires a recording of a school song?

You are in Texas, so it must be for the football stadium fundraising efforts.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: See if you can guess why this happened. Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
You are in Texas, so it must be for the football stadium fundraising efforts.

That would be my guess, as well.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty close actually, except for one small issue.

In Texas, funding of a football stadium is *never* a problem. Textbooks for math or english classes required by the state? Sure. That could be a real problem, and a recurring one in many districts.

A new piano for the choir teacher, or maybe a sousaphone for the band? Absolutely. Sell band candles, magazines, candy bars, or perhaps even mattresses.

No, the reason they need the alma mater recorded now, even though school doesn't start until the fall is... for the *dedication* of the all important football stadium. So they can start worshipping the altar of football long before the kids that will be playing are enrolled in the school.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy's experience does not surprise me in the least, and this situation is a pet peeve of mine. I'm from Chicago, been in Houston since '95. Generally speaking, I do like Texas, but the insane amounts of money that is spent on high school football here is, well, insane. Multi million dollar stadiums that would rival many college stadiums, there is an absolute obsession with high school football. Honestly, I think there are a lot of guys
here who can't let go of their "glory days", and/or live vicariously through kids. I want to tell some of these guys "it's frickin' HIGH SCHOOL."

I believe this also has trickled down into school music departments, UIL (University Interscholastic League) dictates that school music contests receive WAY too much importance; in many schools the pressure to do well at contest results in school band directors spending inordinate amounts of time on contest material, and that results in little time spent on sight reading, exposing kids to other music genres, etc. I have no problem with kids perfecting a piece of music, and competition absolutely has benefits, but not when other important areas are neglected. School music is supposed to be focused primarily on learning, and I'm not sure that spending the majority of time working on a small amount of contest music is "learning."

Drives me NUTS, and it's a disservice to kids.

Brad
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you still need a mascot, I recommend taking one from Batiuk and become "The Scapegoats".

I guess during all the time I spent teaching I never really got bothered by the athletic tail trying to wag the academic dog. It's the way things are, and in many places, there'll be more people attending the athletic events than anything else (including classes in most of the joints I taught ) so what's the big deal? About the only time I got in anyone's face was the last year I taught public ed: Inner city HS, 4A (largest enrollment size) with very small band program. We had a show for all 5 home FB games, NFBD, then, because the students had helped create a kick-ass pep band (I somehow was blessed with an outstanding guitar, bass and kit player rhythm section who'd take off work and show up), we elected to play nearly all the home BB games rather than the required 4. Fun, right? Nope, the team (we're talking da 'hood) wanted all loud rap music piped in on the sound system during their initial warm up and wouldn't shut it off for us to play. Tried to negotiate with the AD but he didn't want to "offend" the team. So we sat one night, after which I got the Metro Lyrics for all the junk they were playing and read them out loud to the HS principal. God, did he try to wiggle out of it but NFW. I'd also provided them to a few responsible parents as well who dropped by on occasions. Under normal conditions I'd have just chucked it all and done only 4 games, in the end I think it was worth it. Damn! It's great to be retired- almost every day is a Saturday or a snow day.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
Nope, the team (we're talking da 'hood) wanted all loud rap music piped in on the sound system during their initial warm up and wouldn't shut it off for us to play. Tried to negotiate with the AD but he didn't want to "offend" the team. So we sat one night, after which I got the Metro Lyrics for all the junk they were playing and read them out loud to the HS principal. God, did he try to wiggle out of it but NFW. I'd also provided them to a few responsible parents as well who dropped by on occasions. Under normal conditions I'd have just chucked it all and done only 4 games, in the end I think it was worth it. Damn! It's great to be retired- almost every day is a Saturday or a snow day.

I was walking to get some lunch today and there was a car in the parking lot treating us to his stereo system. He was playing some rap music and I must admit the performer sure could hit that same pitch over and over. Never hit another pitch the whole song. And not only that the repeated rhythms of the music were identical each of the three dozen times they were repeated.

Plus I got to hear those wonderful Metro Lyrics.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the realities; school sports programs generally get the majority of funding and attention. It is different in Texas (at least different from Illinois), the money and emphasis high school football here gets is way beyond just out of proportion. I'm in no way anti-sports/athletics, I just don't get the high school football thing here, probably because I'm not from here.

Brad
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a cousin who ran an award-winning high school orchestral program in TX. I have no doubt many of their students go on to academic and performing careers.

They didn't however have any involvement with the football program.

I personally find football in particular to be dumb. Besides the factionalism of many sports and the fandom therof, there's a high likelihood of injury - the focus of the game is to bash into the other players. Seems pretty stupid to go through the rest of your life with a blown out knee etc. because of a sport you played in high school.

I'm sure I could have played - 6'4", do okay in the weight room but even then I just found the mentality offputting. I'm guessing some really high percentage of cops - who as a group I have ambivalent feelings about - played football.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
I have a cousin who ran an award-winning high school orchestral program in TX. I have no doubt many of their students go on to academic and performing careers.

They didn't however have any involvement with the football program.

I personally find football in particular to be dumb. Besides the factionalism of many sports and the fandom therof, there's a high likelihood of injury - the focus of the game is to bash into the other players. Seems pretty stupid to go through the rest of your life with a blown out knee etc. because of a sport you played in high school.

I'm sure I could have played - 6'4", do okay in the weight room but even then I just found the mentality offputting. I'm guessing some really high percentage of cops - who as a group I have ambivalent feelings about - played football.

Just my two cents: I don't have any positive or negative feelings about football or sports in general (I never played as a kid, but did get involved in running marathons and triathlons as an adult, so while I'm not a sports fan per se, I understand them to some degree). The problem I have with high school football here in Texas is the almost rabid fan-dom and TAX MONEY spent on the incredibly expensive massive stadiums, for HIGH SCHOOL KIDS to play the game. Which sometimes results in spoiled brats like Johnny Manzel, who are catered to all through high school and college and become...spoiled brats. Hey, the discipline and work that kids put in to play is great, and great things for their development into adults, it's the ADULTS who go overboard with the whole activity that drives me nuts.

Regarding cops: sure, there are some who are testosterone-poisoned idiots, just like there are idiots in every profession, but I do think in general they are well intentioned people who do a difficult and necessary job that I would not want to do. I've run into a couple of questionable ones (occasional traffic stops, where I was at fault), but a good way to handle those situations is to be polite; becoming rude, hostile and uncooperative with ANY cop is not likely to yield results you will like.

Brad
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
I understand the realities; school sports programs generally get the majority of funding and attention. It is different in Texas (at least different from Illinois), the money and emphasis high school football here gets is way beyond just out of proportion. I'm in no way anti-sports/athletics, I just don't get the high school football thing here, probably because I'm not from here.

Brad
C'mon, Brad- long bus rides to/from away games in the back of a bouncy school bus with some hot and sweaty cheerleaders??? Way easier for most FB players to get chicks than trumpet players. And think about the poor suckers playing double reeds... They can't even bring their reed knives to school any longer for support.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
And think about the poor suckers playing double reeds... They can't even bring their reed knives to school any longer for support.

I know you were partly making a joke relative to the football players here, but I never thought about the reed knife problem for students. I'm guessing that is likely true in most (if not all) schools today. Perhaps even at the college level?

/sigh

Last edited by RandyTX on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I was walking to get some lunch today and there was a car in the parking lot treating us to his stereo system. He was playing some rap music and I must admit the performer sure could hit that same pitch over and over. Never hit another pitch the whole song. And not only that the repeated rhythms of the music were identical each of the three dozen times they were repeated.

There are a few exceptions. I think Flo Rida has a song of recent vintage that actually has 5 notes in the melody, though they are all in the scale and no accidentals. No seriously, I counted them. A whopping 5 notes.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

There are a few exceptions. I think Flo Rida has a song of recent vintage that actually has 5 notes in the melody, though they are all in the scale and no accidentals. No seriously, I counted them. A whopping 5 notes.

And what's your point? Are you suggesting that these rap and hip hop guys should actually have as much understanding of basic music theory as the average high school sophomore band kid? That might require some study, practice, and preparation. Geez man, that's WAY too much work.😉😉

Brad
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Craig Swartz wrote:
And think about the poor suckers playing double reeds... They can't even bring their reed knives to school any longer for support.

I know you were partly making a joke relative to the football players here, but I never thought about the reed knife problem for students. I'm guessing that is likely true in most (if not all) schools today. Perhaps even at the college level?

/sigh
I was blessed with a remarkable young oboist who, using Jay Light's reed making text along with my help, began making her own reeds in 8th grade. (Jay taught at Drake U in DM for a hundred years and was our principal oboist as well and literally "wrote the book" on reed making in a manner that can be understood. We were able to not only make reeds that worked but also to adjust store-bought reeds for the other kid who played. Both were honor students but we had to ditch the knife near the end of her 8th grade year due to the idiots in charge thinking it was a weapon. Some educators...
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Brad
C'mon, Brad- long bus rides to/from away games in the back of a bouncy school bus with some hot and sweaty cheerleaders??? Way easier for most FB players to get chicks than trumpet players. And think about the poor suckers playing double reeds... They can't even bring their reed knives to school any longer for support.

Hey, don't go messing up my rant with cold hard facts, Mr. I'm Retired So I No Longer Have To Deal With Public School Nonsense And Stupidity, ok?? Geeez!!
😎

Brad
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you didn't call me a Geezer... Had to double check. I do hope you make it to retirement, though.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
At least you didn't call me a Geezer... Had to double check. I do hope you make it to retirement, though.

Since I'm geezer-age myself, of course not!

But off topic, there is this:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.movoto.com/blog/opinions/moving-to-iowa/amp/
😉

Brad
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell- I'm here! (well, at least half the year.) That ought to be reason enough.

Man, that State Fair thing... I'm always in MN for that unless they hire the symphony to come play the opening. (Did last year.) Fried foods have a huge effect- you measure a lot of the women walking around the IA State Fair not by inches but by axe handles...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: