• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to re-secure the third valve slide post?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet_bob_silver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: How to re-secure the third valve slide post? Reply with quote

Not my horn, but close enough.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kmtracy/media/Untitled-1copy.jpg.html

That post with the nut at the end that keeps the third valve slide from falling off if it ever goes out that far.

I noticed it was loosening up... but it's metal on metal, so it's not going anywhere. Maybe it was always loose like that and I never noticed.

Today it fell out. I pushed it back in, but it's back to being loose.

How do I get that secure in the hole again? Maybe a little jewelry hammer? But there's not much space to work in around it. .If I could "fatten" that end up after it's through the hole that would keep it from slipping out again.

Or take it to a shop but it doesn't seem worth it for the size of this repair. If it's a matter of buying a tool, I could probably get the tool and have it for future tweaks instead of paying someone for a five minute repair.
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the post closest to the valve cluster have an allen (hex) screw that tightens down the rod? if so, get the proper allen wrench and tighten it down.
trumpet_bob_silver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's just a hole in metal that the metal post goes through.

It's the part on the left in that pic, the post connecting to the trumpet itself. Nothing with the screw on nuts on the right.

It would either be fattened the post or narrowing the part of it connects to. Narrowing probably means a new bracket piece. Fattening the post might work with a few hammer taps... very precisely.

I'm wondering how they got it in there. One way or the other. I was thinking maybe the post was thicker on one end, but probably not. Or if it is, mine's loose now. Once it's loose, it could wide the bracket hole I suppose.

Jamming something in on that end might work too but I thought there might be a more standard method.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really following what you are describing, but in the pic, the post on the left should have an allen screw in the bottom, that's what holds the stop rod in.
I would say either post a pic of YOUR horn, or take it to a tech. I'd be very careful about using any hammer on it, small jewelers hammer or not.

Brad
pc2001197
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

assuming it's a strad
trumpet_bob_silver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah..... (You assumed correctly.)

I'll take a look tomorrow. I did not look there..... (I don't see a 'dawning realization' smiley on the list.)

I'd feel really stupid walking into a repair shop for a fix like that if it's just turning a screw head a quarter turn. "That'll be $15."
trumpet_bob_silver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that did it. Literally a 1/4 turn.

5/64" allen wrench if anyone's interested. I think it was that.

And it's wise to check how the slide moves out for bumping the post before tightening it up more firmly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: