• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mute Meister

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update on the MuteMeister cup mute: I filed down the corks this weekend, just enough to get the low notes in tune and to evaluate the sound and playability. (I might file more later, if I need to.)

I think it sounds great! Has that characteristic cup mute sound, what I think of as a straight mute "ping" inside of a soft sound-wrapper that takes off some of the edge. It isn't as nasal as my H&B stone lined or as metallic as my Wick adjustable, if you know what I mean. That inner "ping" has a slightly softer, more dense sound-wrapper than the others, but it's still clearly present, if that makes sense. And that's not the only difference. The ping itself is different--a bit more solid somehow--maybe because of the wood plate at the bottom. Not sure why exactly, but it's noticeable.

I don't have a vintage Robinson cup for comparison, so I'll leave that to others.

The mute is well made--a quality product. I'm happy with it. So far, so good!
Piccolo Stomvi
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
I don't have a vintage Robinson cup for comparison, so I'll leave that to others.

I do have one, that I paid a fair amount to get after Roger Ingram restored it. I love the way it sounds, not sure I want to buy one of the modern ones just to find out if it's slightly better.

I asked indirectly a while back to have them post some side-by-side videos of the old and new versions, but that was apparently ignored.

Otoh, I hate my Humes & Berg "cleartone" (I've yet to see one in the wild that didn't have the center tube wildly out of alignment, even when brand new). I'll probably order one of the new Solotone's.
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="RandyTX"]
dstdenis wrote:
Otoh, I hate my Humes & Berg "cleartone" (I've yet to see one in the wild that didn't have the center tube wildly out of alignment, even when brand new). I'll probably order one of the new Solotone's.

I hear you about the "Clear Tone" mute - those things are downright (and rightly) infamous! The 'solo tone' type mute that I've been using with some satisfaction for the past few years is a new (mostly) plastic one by the German brand, EMO.
Curiously, the inner stem (their's made of cardboard) alignment you identified with H&B is also a 'problem' with this mute, only this one DOES actually play with some consistency, characteristic sound throughout the registers, and decent pitch between the dynamic levels. For whatever reason the pitch center (and therefore 'flub factor') when hand-muting for wah-wah effects also seems more consistent on the EMO than H&B.

Full disclaimer - I've never played a decently-restored Shastock, and I ended up on the EMO after searching for some years for the (fiberglass) Walt Johnson mute, which he called "Gatsby."

Out of an interest of picking-up where I left off with that search, that is: To find a 'solo-tone' type mute that I'd actually enjoy playing enough to try to find excuses to play it (as is the case with many of my cup, 'harmon' type, and various material straight mutes). And, thanks to you guys starting this post...I decided to reinvest some recent gig monies in both of the new Mute Meister models!
Frankly, I'm excited, as I've heard nothing but rave reviews of Ingram's restoration work from all friends who've had him resurrect their vintage mutes.

When they arrive, I'll post here with some notes on their unique qualities. I refrain from making any direct comparisons between brands...so take what I've said above only to be a statement of fact - modern Clear Tone mutes are nothing like vintage H&B Chicago products. Therefore I'm noting qualities about the EMO 'solo tone' type mute in comparison to the disappointment most players encounter when trying to successfully recreate the sound of vintage swing-era music on most available modern production mutes. Additionally, I'll focus my comments on the Mute Meister 'cup' and "Show Tone" mutes on their qualities I enjoy.

Best,

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mute Meister cup mute is really nice. Compared to the Ray Robinson cup mute I find there to be some minor differences.

The Ray Robinson mute has a bit more of a nasal sound and a bit more buzz. The Mute Meister mute has a softer, more velvety sound.

In terms of cosmetic differences, the Ray Robinson mute has longer corks, and the bottom of the Ray Robinson is painted black (compared to unpainted maple on the Mute Meister mute).
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has everyone who pre-ordered received their mutes? I ordered two sets on Jan. 29th and have not gotten them yet...

Ben
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlewis wrote:
Has everyone who pre-ordered received their mutes? I ordered two sets on Jan. 29th and have not gotten them yet...

Ben

I noticed on Roger Ingram's http://www.mutemeister.com site that there's a note for pre-order people from prior to 3/15 should contact Sales@Warburton-usa.com

I ordered both mutes more recently - in late March, and have not received them. There's also a note to expect a ~3week order time, so I'm patiently waiting for my chance to get to play these, and am lucky to have enough solo and show work to demo them on this summer...not to say that I wouldn't love to have my hands on them NOW!

I suggest you contact Warburton, as per the MuteMeister website. Hope these guys are able to handle the volume of orders - from what has been discussed on this thread, but - more importantly - the excellent work of both Warburton and Ingram's mute restoration activities, I feel that many of us are eager to see whether these will be the vintage-sounding, modern-playing versions of a cup and a 'solo-tone' style mute.

We'll have to wait and see!

Best,

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, talk about great customer service. After I posted last night, I saw the contact link that was added to the mutemeister page and sent an inquiry. I have already received a reply from Kimberly at Warburton with a USPS tracking number. Kudos to Warburton for great customer service!!! I have a week run of the national tour of Sound of Music next week, so I'll be able to give the cup a good test run if the mutes arrive on schedule.
Pablopiccasso
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are Warburton still making/selling these mutes. The Ray Robinson style cup and showtone
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are Warburton still making/selling these mutes.

Yes, and they have added a straight mute.
Pablopiccasso
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
Quote:
Are Warburton still making/selling these mutes.

Yes, and they have added a straight mute.

I can't find them for sale online. Who sells them?

Although my H&B pixie mute is working well now I've slimmed the corks
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.warburtonstore.com/inmumu.html
Pablopiccasso
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks
nyctrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danbassin wrote:
benlewis wrote:

Ben

I noticed on Roger Ingram's http://www.mutemeister.com site that there's a note for pre-order people from prior to 3/15 should contact Sales@Warburton-usa.com

I ordered both mutes more recently - in late March, and have not received them. There's also a note to expect a ~3week order time, so I'm patiently waiting for my chance to get to play these, and am lucky to have enough solo and show work to demo them on this summer...not to say that I wouldn't love to have my hands on them NOW!

I suggest you contact Warburton, as per the MuteMeister website. Hope these guys are able to handle the volume of orders - from what has been discussed on this thread, but - more importantly - the excellent work of both Warburton and Ingram's mute restoration activities, I feel that many of us are eager to see whether these will be the vintage-sounding, modern-playing versions of a cup and a 'solo-tone' style mute.

We'll have to wait and see!

Best,

-DB

I have the cup and solotone (showtone) mutes and I love them. I have mutes Roger restored for me and these go out and the vintage ones stay home.
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur; I'm very happy with the MuteMeister mutes. I don't have to sweat taking my VGC Ray Robinson cup and Shastock Solotone into the pit. I also think the Showtone plays better in tune that the vintage mutes.

Another good, but in my opinion - underrated, cup mute is the H&B Mic-a-Mute. I think the MuteMeister is better, but the H&B is a viable option for someone on a tighter budget.

BTW, I line most of my cup mute cups with self-stick felt. It really mellows the sound and makes even the Denis Wick sound acceptable in a commercial setting...

HTH

Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: