• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pop-up Ads on the TH?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Pop-up Ads on the TH? Reply with quote

Anyone else getting pop-ups when clicking on TH? Just in the last few minutes of surfing the TH I've gotten 4 pop-ups that have opened browser tabs for surveys and other ads. It doesn't seem to happen when I surf other sites, only the TH. Note that the survey pop-up says "Dear Trumpetherald Visitor". I fear the TH has been hacked.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally run Adblock Plus, but I just disabled it to see what happens. So far no popups for me. If I get any in the next few minutes I'll come back here and let you know. I think it's also possible your own computer has been infected with Adware. The fact that the popup refers to you as "Dear Trumpetherald Visitor" doesn't mitigate this possibility, as it can be written into the code to recognize the webpage a person is actually browsing on and incorporate it into the unwanted popup. Hope that's not the case though!

Best wishes,

John
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another curious observation is that every TH page I see now is full of hyperlinks on random words, when you hover over them they pop up even more adds. No other web sites are doing this, only the TH. Weird.
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, still might be some malware/adware on your end. I haven't had any issues on desktop or mobile. Maybe try running an antivirus scan. I use Malwarebytes, which you can download for free.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Another curious observation is that every TH page I see now is full of hyperlinks on random words, when you hover over them they pop up even more adds. No other web sites are doing this, only the TH. Weird.

Nothing like that happening here to me. I even opened up an old Internet Explorer Browser and cruised the TH with no issues for the past five minutes.

I've seen the kind of hyperlinks you are describing on other forums (they are always there on the other forums I'm referring to). But nothing on the TH like that for me.

If you don't have it, download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, then restart your computer in Safe Mode and run the full scan (it'll take a while). I think you have Adware and/or other Malware in your system.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

The free version will suffice.

Cheers,

John
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you have recently installed a program on your computer that included this malware. Just before this started happening, did you download and install anything? Especially, something downloaded for "free"?

This is a fairly common behavior, especially found in "free" download software, or other programs touted as a way to "enhance" or "improve" your browsing/shopping/youtubing experience, or programs that mess with your toolbars.

Uninstalling the malware is usually the way to fix it; typically it's something that you installed just before the malware behavior started. There may have been an option to skip the adware/hyperlink malware, but it was probably pre-checked in the installation options, or worse, there was no option.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another fix is to just use Mac products. Since I switched to iPhone, iPad, and my MacBook I've NEVER had any pop ups or viruses or malware or any issues to speak of.

Everything works, always. Never going back to PC stuff again.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
This is a fairly common behavior, especially found in "free" download software, or other programs touted as a way to "enhance" or "improve" your browsing/shopping/youtubing experience, or programs that mess with your toolbars.

Sometimes, the ads will contain text similar to the following wording: “Powered by Online Browser Advertising“, “Brought to you by Online Browser Advertising“, “RocketTab powered by Online Browser Advertising“, “Ads by Online Browser Advertising” or “Ads powered by Online Browser Advertising“.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved, for now. I definitely had gotten malware and a co-worked just helped me nuke it. Somewhere I had picked up a malware Chrome extension called ArcadeStar.

I had no problem before launching TH this AM so I have no idea where it came from. Before I fixed the problem I confirmed that a few other websites were also being corrupted so it was not unique to TH. Sorry for the panic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: