• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Quintet Music for Honor Flights

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arbanator
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Quintet Music for Honor Flights Reply with quote

My brass quintet occasionally plays for the arrival of honor flights bringing veterans to the Washington, D.C. area for a weekend. Of course arrangements of patriotic chestnuts are available, and it’s not too hard to find arrangements of WWII era popular music. Lately, though, the number of WWII veterans has been declining, and the flights have been extended to veterans of the Korean and Vietnam wars and other actions. I like to play pieces that provide a little nostalgia for the eras in which these guys served, but I’m having a hard time finding anything for the Korean era (1950-53) and for Vietnam, say 1965-75, anything beyond arrangements of Beatles tunes. Any ideas?
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culture music and war propaganda was different after the two world wars. Finding direct musical selections for wars after that may be tricky. Part of my reasoning is that the type of music that communities were listening to was different. Rock was more prevalent and times were a bit different than people getting together and swing dancing to Bugle Boy or Tommy Dorsey selections at a big scale.

Just my initial thoughts while considering your search.
Arbanator
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. I think that's a possibly unsurmountable problem. But even setting that aside, it seems that the demise of the big swing bands is also manifested in a lack of quintet arrangements for the later pop repertoire. Maybe the change in typical instrumentation is a similarly large barrier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: