• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bernstein-Inspired Repertoire?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WyoTrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Bernstein-Inspired Repertoire? Reply with quote

Hello All,

I'm a graduate student, planning a recital that's coming up in the fall. With next year being the centenary of Leonard Bernstein's birth, I had the idea to perform a set of three pieces (triptych) that are "Bernstein Inspired". Here's what I've come up with:

1. Rondo for Lifey
2. An arrangement of "Simple Song" for Trumpet and Piano.
3. TBD

I'm struggling to come up with a third piece, and I thought it would be a cool idea to see if there are any composers who have written anything as an "In Memoriam" to Bernstein. This completes my theme: one piece originally written for trumpet (Rondo), one piece of Bernstein's music transcribed for trumpet (Simple Song), and a piece of music inspired by Bernstein.

Here's the question: does anyone know of a piece (3-5 min in length) that has been written in memoriam of Leonard Bernstein for solo trumpet? A series of Google searches have turned up zero results.

Thanks for looking!
tubbs831
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Bernstein Reply with quote

James Stephenson did an arrangement of movement II from Bernstein's Chichester Psalms. It is for trumpet/organ and was done from Marc Reese. It is quite good
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bernstein-Inspired Repertoire? Reply with quote

WyoTrumpet wrote:
Hello All,

I'm a graduate student, planning a recital that's coming up in the fall. With next year being the centenary of Leonard Bernstein's birth, I had the idea to perform a set of three pieces (triptych) that are "Bernstein Inspired". Here's what I've come up with:

1. Rondo for Lifey
2. An arrangement of "Simple Song" for Trumpet and Piano.
3. TBD

I'm struggling to come up with a third piece, and I thought it would be a cool idea to see if there are any composers who have written anything as an "In Memoriam" to Bernstein. This completes my theme: one piece originally written for trumpet (Rondo), one piece of Bernstein's music transcribed for trumpet (Simple Song), and a piece of music inspired by Bernstein.

Here's the question: does anyone know of a piece (3-5 min in length) that has been written in memoriam of Leonard Bernstein for solo trumpet? A series of Google searches have turned up zero results.

Thanks for looking!

Christopher Rouse wrote a Trombone Concerto in memoriam Bernstein. Christian Lindberg recorded this on the second volume of his "American Trombone Concertos" cycle...it's close, but no cigar!

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Picc;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
WyoTrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, gents. I love both the Stephenson setting and Rouse's Concerto. Appreciate the feedback!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: