• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Some thoughts on GR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Some thoughts on GR Reply with quote

I've been trying to decide when to post this. I wanted to wait long enough to rule out any sort of honeymoon effect, and it seems I'm well past that point...it's been about 6-7 weeks since I got my first GR.

Many of you will remember a post when I declared I'd found a "holy grail". I was sure that style of mouthpiece was just what I wanted. I was still on a bit of a search because I wanted something that was easily reproducible, and easily replaceable. I thought I'd found two mouthpieces that improved on the first one in slightly different ways. I had convinced myself that a particular cup shape, especially at the bottom of the cup was where the magic happened.

I've been intrigued by GR mouthpiece since I tried my first one. I knew they were well made, and in tune. I just never could quite dial in the right fit. On a whim I e-mailed Brian telling him what I was trying, and also on a whim included a video of what I thought were the best two mouthpieces I'd found so far.

He forwarded that along to GR who recommended something in an entirely different direction.

In sum, they were right and I was wrong.

If you're on the safari, seriously, get in touch with Brian. He and GR are great people. They are genuinely out to help, not just sell stuff. I will forever be indebted to them. My playing has improved more over the last few weeks than it has over the past few years since I started playing again.

If you'd like to talk more about my experience, feel free to e-mail me or shoot me a PM and I'm happy to chat.

Last edited by jaysonr on Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Daniel Barenboim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have gone through a lot of mouthpieces. At least you saved some of the most expensive for last!

DB
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Barenboim wrote:
You have gone through a lot of mouthpieces. At least you saved some of the most expensive for last!

DB

Great, now if Gottfried Reiche and Ragnarok will hurry up and reply, I can collect all of my snark quickly.

I intend for my post to be helpful, nothing more.
Richard A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: GR Mouthpieces Reply with quote

I had a fitting session with Alexa Yates a while back. Time and money well spent.

Highly recommended.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: GR Mouthpieces Reply with quote

Richard A wrote:
I had a fitting session with Alexa Yates a while back. Time and money well spent.

Highly recommended.

This.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
Type3B
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a consultation with a GR rep. Long story short: after giving the recommended GR a good long try, I ended up on something very different.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been fighting a sinus infection and have been off the horn for over a week. Finally played some tonight. It's amazing how easy it is to get back going when your on the right pieces!
wiemelen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only downside is that as far as I know there are no GR consultants in Europe.
But their mouthpieces are truly great and IMHO they probably have a good/perfect match for all trumpet/player combinations.

I was fortunate to buy my GR at a store in the Netherlands several years ago.
Owner was a (pro or semi-pro) trumpet player himself and he had a large assortment of GR mouthpieces. Unfortunately he went out of business.
But I wouldn't mind having a GR consultation for a 2nd look at my setup.
Just to rule out that there is an even better one that suits me and my trumpet.
Certainly also because my playing technique has changed quit a lot the last few years.

So folks at GR reading this, I can assure you there are lots of great trumpet players in Europe, some even using GR mouthpieces. You would do us a great pleasure training some of them to become certified GR consultants
Cornet : Conn 80a (1919) with Curry 1,5 BBC + Curry 1,5 VC + GR L66,9 #6
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiemelen wrote:
Only downside is that as far as I know there are no GR consultants in Europe.
But their mouthpieces are truly great and IMHO they probably have a good/perfect match for all trumpet/player combinations.

I was fortunate to buy my GR at a store in the Netherlands several years ago.
Owner was a (pro or semi-pro) trumpet player himself and he had a large assortment of GR mouthpieces. Unfortunately he went out of business.
But I wouldn't mind having a GR consultation for a 2nd look at my setup.
Just to rule out that there is an even better one that suits me and my trumpet.
Certainly also because my playing technique has changed quit a lot the last few years.

So folks at GR reading this, I can assure you there are lots of great trumpet players in Europe, some even using GR mouthpieces. You would do us a great pleasure training some of them to become certified GR consultants

Reach out to Brian at GR. I didn't do a true consult, and I was amazed at the results achieved by sending videos to him. He and GR are brilliant at this stuff!
marnix
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiemelen is probably talking about Hans, who ran Brassimport. He was one of the most kind and openminded salesmen in the Netherlands.
And altough he was probably not a real consultant as described in the GR jobdescription for consultants, he had a really good knowledge about mpc's and music.
This man listened to me, and gave me also a GR. And over 12 years later, I still play GR. Tried various other brands, but always ended up with GR. Always in the 66 models. For piccolo and bigger.
4 months ago I dropped my beloved 66L. Now, because of the fact that in Europe GR is incredible expensive, I had to move to 66c. (Which was the only one in the 66 range that comes close to 66L and was in a discount sale). Which fit actually even better.
Oh well at 15 euro's a year, one can't really complain about the prices, right?

XO brass picc
Yamaha 741 D
Back to good old GR 66L
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: